Wow, good for Katy Perry

I'm actually impressed that a celebrity as popular as Katy Perry came out in defence of religion.
Lady GaGa just released her new video, and while I haven't seen it yet, from what I hear it makes Madonnas "Like Prayer" video look tame. Katy Perry I guess wasn't impressed. She posted this on Twitter today:

"Using blasphemy as entertainment is as cheap as a comedian telling a f*rt joke."

Yeah, Katy Perry has done her fare share of off colored songs (I kissed a girl), but it seems even she doesn't like people messing with religion. Good for her.
I'm disapointed, but not really surprised with Lady GaGa. I like a few of her songs, but I can see she likes to shock people. I'll be deleting her songs off my ipod (maybe I'll replace them with Katy Perry songs, lol).

[quote="child_of_God85, post:1, topic:201396"]
I'm actually impressed that a celebrity as popular as Katy Perry came out in defence of religion.
Lady GaGa just released her new video, and while I haven't seen it yet, from what I hear it makes Madonnas "Like Prayer" video look tame. Katy Perry I guess wasn't impressed. She posted this on Twitter today:

"Using blasphemy as entertainment is as cheap as a comedian telling a f*rt joke."

Yeah, Katy Perry has done her fare share of off colored songs (I kissed a girl), but it seems even she doesn't like people messing with religion. Good for her.
I'm disapointed, but not really surprised with Lady GaGa. I like a few of her songs, but I can see she likes to shock people. I'll be deleting her songs off my ipod (maybe I'll replace them with Katy Perry songs, lol).

[/quote]

Katy Perry started out as a Christian singer. She comes from what she describes as a very strict, religious background.

what is the name of the video?

I have looked into it some and Lady Gaga has TONS of satanic symbolism and other similar things in the videos.....don't like her music...but after looking into it I make sure others know about it so they can hopefully make the decision to avoid her and her music (I cant make the choice for them)

"Waking up in Vegas" was just about the sleaziest piece of trash I've heard on the radio in a long time. There have been threads on the internet about how she should be boycotted because of her sleaze. I turn the station every time her garbage comes on the radio. She's not appropriate for kids. Her poor reputation is probably getting back to her people, so I wouldn't be suprised if her spin doctors told her to make some favorable comments about religion to attempt damage control. Imagine the kids whose values are more warped because of her and gaga's music. :nope:

Lady Gaga only wants to outshock the inappropriately named Madonna.

That's all.

It's all getting rather boring.

[quote="doanli, post:6, topic:201396"]
Lady Gaga only wants to outshock the inappropriately named Madonna.

That's all.

It's all getting rather boring.

[/quote]

somewhat that. but i also think that she probably she wants to make sure that people do not identify her with her catholic roots.

[quote="child_of_God85, post:1, topic:201396"]

[/quote]

Katy Perry actually began her career in CCM:

As Katy Hudson, she released a self-titled gospel album in 2001. In 2004, she recorded an album with production team The Matrix, but it was never released. After signing on with Capitol Music Group in 2007, she adopted the stage name Katy Perry and released her first mainstream album, One of the Boys.
Source: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Katy_perry

Lady Gaga, OTOH, is more of an "art project" - seriously - for her, anyway (not sure how many people understand the name 'Lady Gaga' is from a Queen song and she originally went into the studio an arts student with singer-songwriter aspirations), but more specifically, has become a consumer item packaged like soap or a loaf of bread. Lady Gaga is the musical equivalent of Twinkies. She's a "product." Madonna became obselete, and Lady Gaga is only on the radio and VH1 because Madonna went stale and M.I.A. wasn't not mainstream enough.

Good for Katy too. :)

VetA the video is called Alejandro. It's getting a lot ot attention. Oh and :thumbsup: Katy Perry.

ETA: I won't see the video but here's a description: new.music.yahoo.com/blogs/videogaga/48520/lady-gaga-gets-serious-in-alejandro-video/

I read the report on Catholic League, and then watched the video (Alejandro). Had to turn it off eventually. It was disgusting. What a sick, pathetic woman. Don't watch it, it's not worth the time.

I agree, good for Katy Perry! There are certain lines not to be crossed in the entertainment industry. Just on a positive note, the show Criminal Minds tonight had an absolutely beautiful depiction of the Catholic faith, I got teary watching it :)

This is a quote from Lady GaGa in an article published today on Yahoo music blogs;

The Catholic imagery in particular is reminiscent of works by Gaga's obvious predecessor, the aforementioned Madonna, another pop female whose conflicted feelings about religion have been explored in her own videos such as "Oh Father" and the banned "Like a Prayer." As Gaga told King: "I struggle with my feelings about the Church in particular....in terms of religion, I'm very religious. I was raised Catholic. I believe in Jesus. I believe in God. I'm very spiritual. I pray very much. But at the same time, there is no one religion that doesn't hate or speak against or be prejudiced against another racial group or religious group, or sexual group. For that, I think religion is also bogus. So I suppose you could say I'm a quite religious woman that is very confused about religion. And I dream and envision a future where we have a more peaceful religion or a more peaceful world, a more peaceful state of mind for the younger generation. And that's what I dream for."

There isn't a word in the English language to describe how disturbing that video is.

She eats a rosary.

Guys, you are all giving the intended reaction from her video that the media wants. Lady GaGa's music videos are intended to shock the mainstream audience. Because you react to it the way you do, she continues to push the boundaries. However, I believe there is a large misunderstanding on the true meaning of this music video.

Most of her videos are supposed to be some expression of art and not direct criticisms of the establishment. Looking up the synopsis of this music video does not reveal to me any direct attack on the church. Although it uses religious imagery in the clip, I think it is being confused with other components of the clip with depict sexuality. If you read the directors commentary on the video you can see that no criticism on religion is intended. His quote is as follows

The religious symbolism is not meant to denote anything negative, but represents the character's battle between the dark forces of this world and the spiritual salvation of the Soul. Thus at the end of the film, she chooses to be a nun, and the reason her mouth and eyes disappear is because she is withdrawing her senses from the world of evil and going inward towards prayer and contemplation.

The reaction here is a good example of completely missing the point, which is result of the media trying to mislead public perception yet again. So I don't think we should all start dismissing Lady GaGa and become Katy Perry fans just yet.

So because it was told to us that it was not meant to be negative.....it isn't? perhaps I should go set fire to a cross....but don't worry its art!!! so no need to be offended. Is this not the same idea?

I could just say it shows my burning passion for Jesus

Personally - I don't care for "Lady" Gaga if only b/c of her way of dressing so immodestly. She might as well be completely naked when you look at some of her outfits.

But - I don't listen to that type of music anyway.

She eats a rosary

Enough for me ... don't care to waste my time. I agree w/ whoever said about her wanting to "top" Madonna. My son was young when that one came out. I dealt with it then and am glad I don't need to deal w/ another one now.

Thanks!

God Bless
-K

[quote="Dennislp3, post:15, topic:201396"]
So because it was told to us that it was not meant to be negative.....it isn't? perhaps I should go set fire to a cross....but don't worry its art!!! so no need to be offended. Is this not the same idea?

I could just say it shows my burning passion for Jesus

[/quote]

It's from the mouth of the director himself and he follows this with a complete synopsis. Sometimes you need to be able to step back from what you see visually and ask what is the symbolism being portrayed here. Art is supposed to shock, push the boundaries and create discussion. It's disappointing to see that most people are taking everything at face value rather than asking what is this story trying to tell us.

If you started burning crosses, the reaction you would get isn't one of defacing religious iconography, but that you are supporting the Ku Klux Klan. :rolleyes:

The point of her eating the rosary is to symbolise her taking in the Holy spirit.

[quote="PrayerShark, post:18, topic:201396"]
It's from the mouth of the director himself and he follows this with a complete synopsis. Sometimes you need to be able to step back from what you see visually and ask what is the symbolism being portrayed here. Art is supposed to shock, push the boundaries and create discussion. It's disappointing to see that most people are taking everything at face value rather than asking what is this story trying to tell us.

If you started burning crosses, the reaction you would get isn't one of defacing religious iconography, but that you are supporting the Ku Klux Klan. :rolleyes:

The point of her eating the rosary is to symbolise her taking in the Holy spirit.

[/quote]

Oh please, they know exactly what they are doing. Its all about the dollar. The more controversial they are, the more they sell their product.

I don't see why they can't be controversial and make a financial gain at the same time. Music artists, directors, publishers need to make a living somehow. :rolleyes:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.