Wow. Pixar finds a way to trivialize Latino culture and Catholicism simultaneously

According to the LA Times:
“An upcoming Pixar film will center on Día de los Muertos — the Mexican holiday honoring the dead — the animation studio announced at the CinemaCon convention of theater owners in Las Vegas this week. Director Lee Unkrich and producer Darla K. Anderson, the team behind “Toy Story 3,” will collaborate on the as-yet-untitled movie.
As is often the case with its long-gestating projects, Pixar revealed little else about the Día de los Muertos movie, which will presumably take many visual cues from the spooky holiday’s focus on skulls, masks and Mexican marigolds.”

beinglatino.us/entertainment/movies/pixar-to-make-movie-about-dia-de-los-muertos

Hi Paco, I’m afraid I don’t understand. The article didn’t say much besides the fact that they are making a movie.

Día de los Muertos is a real holiday. Do you believe that this holiday trivializes Latino culture and Catholicism? Or is there something specific about the way they are portraying it in this movie that bothers you?

I’m confused too.

Trivialize? I think that’s a little premature. It might be a good movie.

There is no readily apparent trivialization of Latino culture or Catholicism taking place here.

I found Toy Story to be a very “Catholic” movie.

Lots of themes of redemption, loss, love, sacrifice, and risking all to be with the beloved.

They even have a “fallen angel” (Buzz Lightyear) and a straight-up hero.

If they do as good a job with this film I’ll certainly pay to see it.

From what little has been reported, the film is still years away from being made. I can understand anxiety about what the finished product might look like. However, given the time frame and the dearth of solid information about the film, there should be plenty of opportunity for Mexican and Mexican-American interests to ensure that the film is respectful.

I’m not understanding…how are they trivializing Catholicism?

It’s been my understanding that the “Día de los Muertos” celebration itself has elements which, if not trivializing, certainly contain elements not necessarily consistent with Catholicism.

Wow. Pixar finds a way to trivialize Latino culture and Catholicism simultaneously

Clearly.

Agreed. Let’s not overreact here. It’s Pixar; I bet it’ll be a magnificent film.

I don’t know. I don’t recall Aladdin sparing any jihads. Actually, maybe I better go back and look at that timeline again… ;):stuck_out_tongue:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.