Wow - this sounds like REALLY dangerous stuff....

Well, not really:D . What WILL they think of next? Maybe non members should not be so hasty to rush to judgement.

Karen Anne

**The Articles of Faith of
The Church of
**[font=Arial]Jesus Christ
of Latter-day Saints
(Source: Pearl of Great Price)[/font]

**Articles of Faith 1 **

[left]**We believe in God, the Eternal Father, and in His Son, Jesus Christ, and in the Holy Ghost. **
[/left]
**Articles of Faith 2 **

**We believe that men will be punished for their own sins, and not for Adam’s transgression. **

**Articles of Faith 3 **

**We believe that through the atonement of Christ, all mankind may be saved, by obedience to the laws and ordinances of the Gospel. **

Articles of Faith 4

**We believe that the first principles and ordinances of the Gospel are: first, Faith in the Lord Jesus Christ; second, Repentance; third, Baptism by immersion for the remission of sins; fourth, Laying on of hands for the gift of the Holy Ghost. **

**Articles of Faith 5 **

**We believe that a man must be called of God, by prophecy, and by the laying on of hands by those who are in authority, to preach the Gospel and administer in the ordinances thereof. **

**Articles of Faith 6 **

**We believe in the same organization that existed in the Primitive Church, namely, apostles, prophets, pastors, teachers, evangelists, and so forth. **

**Articles of Faith 7 **

**We believe in the gift of tongues, prophecy, revelation, visions, healing, interpretation of tongues, and so forth. **

**Articles of Faith 8 **

**We believe the Bible to be the word of God as far as it is translated correctly; we also believe the Book of Mormon to be the word of God. **

**Articles of Faith 9 **

**We believe all that God has revealed, all that He does now reveal, and we believe that He will yet reveal many great and important things pertaining to the Kingdom of God. **

**Articles of Faith 10 **

**We believe in the literal gathering of Israel and in the restoration of the Ten Tribes; that Zion (the New Jerusalem) will be built upon the American continent; that Christ will reign personally upon the earth; and, that the earth will be renewed and receive its paradisiacal glory. **

**Articles of Faith 11 **

**We claim the privilege of worshiping Almighty God according to the dictates of our own conscience, and allow all men the same privilege, let them worship how, where, or what they may. **

**Articles of Faith 12 **

**We believe in being subject to kings, presidents, rulers, and magistrates, in obeying, honoring, and sustaining the law. **

**Articles of Faith 13 **

**We believe in being honest, true, chaste, benevolent, virtuous, and in doing good to all men; indeed, we may say that we follow the admonition of Paul–We believe all things, we hope all things, we have endured many things, and hope to be able to endure all things. If there is anything virtuous, lovely, or of good report or praiseworthy, we seek after these things. **

[right]**Joseph Smith **
[/right]

Karen Ann- oh, absolutely I agree with you. It is VERY dangerous stuff. Surprising how carefully worded it is though. One truly has to think about it for a bit before a person can truly see the problems inherent with it. Well, that is the case for most of it. I did not have to think long on the american continent one, but for the others, they are cleverly worded indeed.

I do NOT beleve it is dangerous. The people here who are sure they know what the Mormons believe when they really have no clue whatsoever and rely on rumors and misguided assumptions are the ones who are dangerous. The same can be said of someone who judges the Catholic faith on misinformation.

Karen Anne

Oh, I apologise Karen Anne. I thought you said this was really dangerous stuff and now I understand that you did not. It would be ehlpful if you would just say what you really mean and that would save much misunderstanding and time. I’m afraid that frequently cynicism and sarcasm is lost on me. I beg your pardon.

That is why I said “Well not really” at the opening of my post. I am just sick and tired of all the people who cannot seem to promote their own faith without trying to destroy that of another. As a matter of fact I am so tired of it that I am pretty much done with forums…I am sure not all will be disappointed…

Karen Anne

Hi Karen Anne

We Catholics often get picked on by non-catholics as well. Sometimes the name calling can get a little irritating. You know, like the pope is the anti-christ, or the Catholic Church is the whore of Babylon. It gets kind of tiresome at times.

I have a friend I work with who is deeply devoted to his Mormon faith. He is the coordinator of missionaries where I live. We often talk and share our perspectives and sometimes things get heated. The one time I remember in particular, we were talking about 1 Corintians chapter 7. That is the passage where Paul talks about chastity. Anyway, he brought out the corrections Joseph Smith made of this passage from the LDS web site and I got really upset about the whole thing. In my defence, I really love the Bible and I felt it was being changed on me.

I guess its just that people feel strongly about their faith but I think, everyone needs to remember 1 Peter 15-16, “Always be ready to give an explanation to anyone who asks you for a reason for your hope, but do it with gentleness and reverence, keeping your conscience clear, so that, when you are maligned, those who defame your good conduct in Christ may themselves be put to shame.”

God Bless.

Articles of Faith 9

**We believe all that God has revealed, all that He does now reveal, and we believe that He will yet reveal many great and important things pertaining to the Kingdom of God. ** This is actually rather telling. [font=Comic Sans MS]I can attest to the fact that the Articles of Faith do not, of themselves, encompass every teaching of the church. As they say, “line upon line, precept upon precept.” There are many other teachings that were revealed as pertaining to the Kingdom, a number of which are not looked upon kindly by Christians.[/font]

As some here may know, I am a former Mormon, married to someone who was raised Mormon in Utah, and I still have many Mormon friends and relations. My mother-in-law was a good and loving woman, and she was buried in her garments and apron. Out of respect for her and the others, I did not wear my crucifix in the church during her funeral. There is no gain for me in trying to tear down the church or to make false accusations against it. I enjoy discussing points, but I don’t come here with anger or unkind/dishonest intent.

Many times in this forum I have had Mormons try to downplay what I have said by implying or directly stating that what I presented was not truly the teaching of the church. However, I will never back down from what I have said because it is the literal truth. I will never lie about what I was taught, I have no need to do so. It’s frustrating to know that so many here would impugn my integrity. It’s tempting to return in kind. I try to remain polite but insistent, and am sorry if I have ever been otherwise.

I am not angry at the church, nor am I interested in attacking it. I just expect the church and its members to honestly defend what it’s teaching. It really baffles me to see how many of the things that the church has definitively taught for most of its existence are denied in this forum.

If the church has truly backed down on what were considered binding and eternal precepts up till the last decade or so, then state that openly. Otherwise, it seems as if the church is concerned about the reaction from Christians to what is still being taught and is being deceptive. In other words, has the church decided that the former prophets and apostles were flat wrong, or are you witholding the “meat of the gospel” in order to gain converts?

Incidentally, that was a common phrase when discussing outsiders, and hopefully converts. We were to give them “the milk of the gospel,” meaning the teachings that were easy to understand and not offensive. The other stuff, the “meat” or the “hard sayings,” came after they converted and thereby committed themselves to the church.

[quote=Karen Anne]Well, not really:D . What WILL they think of next? Maybe non members should not be so hasty to rush to judgement.

Karen Anne

The Articles of Faith of
The Church of
****[font=Arial]Jesus Christ
of Latter-day Saints
****(Source: Pearl of Great Price)[/font]

**Articles of Faith 1 **

[left]**We believe in God, the Eternal Father, and in His Son, Jesus Christ, and in the Holy Ghost. **

[/left]

Articles of Faith 2

**We believe that men will be punished for their own sins, and not for Adam’s transgression. **

Articles of Faith 3

**We believe that through the atonement of Christ, all mankind may be saved, by obedience to the laws and ordinances of the Gospel. **

Articles of Faith 4

**We believe that the first principles and ordinances of the Gospel are: first, Faith in the Lord Jesus Christ; second, Repentance; third, Baptism by immersion for the remission of sins; fourth, Laying on of hands for the gift of the Holy Ghost. **

Articles of Faith 5

**We believe that a man must be called of God, by prophecy, and by the laying on of hands by those who are in authority, to preach the Gospel and administer in the ordinances thereof. **

Articles of Faith 6

**We believe in the same organization that existed in the Primitive Church, namely, apostles, prophets, pastors, teachers, evangelists, and so forth. **

Articles of Faith 7

**We believe in the gift of tongues, prophecy, revelation, visions, healing, interpretation of tongues, and so forth. **

Articles of Faith 8

**We believe the Bible to be the word of God as far as it is translated correctly; we also believe the Book of Mormon to be the word of God. **

Articles of Faith 9

**We believe all that God has revealed, all that He does now reveal, and we believe that He will yet reveal many great and important things pertaining to the Kingdom of God. **

Articles of Faith 10

**We believe in the literal gathering of Israel and in the restoration of the Ten Tribes; that Zion (the New Jerusalem) will be built upon the American continent; that Christ will reign personally upon the earth; and, that the earth will be renewed and receive its paradisiacal glory. **

Articles of Faith 11

**We claim the privilege of worshiping Almighty God according to the dictates of our own conscience, and allow all men the same privilege, let them worship how, where, or what they may. **

Articles of Faith 12

**We believe in being subject to kings, presidents, rulers, and magistrates, in obeying, honoring, and sustaining the law. **

Articles of Faith 13

**We believe in being honest, true, chaste, benevolent, virtuous, and in doing good to all men; indeed, we may say that we follow the admonition of Paul–We believe all things, we hope all things, we have endured many things, and hope to be able to endure all things. If there is anything virtuous, lovely, or of good report or praiseworthy, we seek after these things. **

[right]Joseph Smith

[/right]

[/quote]

Actually–it sounds like very dishonest stuff. They take the most-innocuous-sounding of their doctrines, gloss over their more controversial teachings, re-define Christian language to downplay the differences even more–and palm off this as a definitive statement of their fundamental beliefs.

[quote=TeriGator]This is actually rather telling. [font=Comic Sans MS]I can attest to the fact that the Articles of Faith do not, of themselves, encompass every teaching of the church. As they say, “line upon line, precept upon precept.” There are many other teachings that were revealed as pertaining to the Kingdom, a number of which are not looked upon kindly by Christians.[/font]

As some here may know, I am a former Mormon, married to someone who was raised Mormon in Utah, and I still have many Mormon friends and relations. My mother-in-law was a good and loving woman, and she was buried in her garments and apron. Out of respect for her and the others, I did not wear my crucifix in the church during her funeral. There is no gain for me in trying to tear down the church or to make false accusations against it. I enjoy discussing points, but I don’t come here with anger or unkind/dishonest intent.

Many times in this forum I have had Mormons try to downplay what I have said by implying or directly stating that what I presented was not truly the teaching of the church. However, I will never back down from what I have said because it is the literal truth. I will never lie about what I was taught, I have no need to do so. It’s frustrating to know that so many here would impugn my integrity. It’s tempting to return in kind. I try to remain polite but insistent, and am sorry if I have ever been otherwise.

I am not angry at the church, nor am I interested in attacking it. I just expect the church and its members to honestly defend what it’s teaching. It really baffles me to see how many of the things that the church has definitively taught for most of its existence are denied in this forum.

If the church has truly backed down on what were considered binding and eternal precepts up till the last decade or so, then state that openly. Otherwise, it seems as if the church is concerned about the reaction from Christians to what is still being taught and is being deceptive. In other words, has the church decided that the former prophets and apostles were flat wrong, or are you witholding the “meat of the gospel” in order to gain converts?

Incidentally, that was a common phrase when discussing outsiders, and hopefully converts. We were to give them “the milk of the gospel,” meaning the teachings that were easy to understand and not offensive. The other stuff, the “meat” or the “hard sayings,” came after they converted and thereby committed themselves to the church.
[/quote]

Would the milk be how happy we will all be with our families in Heaven and the meat is where heaven actually is and what we have to do to get there?

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.