Writing a paper on the re-emergence of Catholic orthodoxy - any good sources?

In my English class we are writing a trend analysis paper and the trend I have chosen is the re-emergence of orthodox Catholicism after decades of watered down faith and apathy. Can you direct me to some good sources in support of this thesis?

Each parish has to do a yearly census, which you can get from parish secretaries or the archdiocese.

Make two list of sample local parishes, preferably EF and OF (if your only source of orthodox v heterodox parishes are anecdotal).

Call the archdiocese or local parishes you listed, and compare the trends of attendance for the past five years.

Haven’t read it but heard author interviews on it, and I highly respect Dr. Hendershott. But try

Renewal: How a New Generation of Faithful Priests and Bishops Is Revitalizing the Catholic Church by Dr. Anne Hendershott and Christopher White

Check out Evangelical Catholicism by George Weigel.

Is there indeed a re-emergence of this?
You better check stats and data before you decide on this thesis, yes?
I thought the trend was the total opposite…that since Vatican 2, we’ve seen the emergence and steady growth of The Cafeteria Catholic. If so, you won’t find any supporting information for your thesis.
You might need to change it to the opposite of what you thought?
I’m sure you will figure out which is correct in your research…

Hiya,

you might also want to try:
The New Faithful: Why Young Adults Are Embracing Christian Orthodoxy Hardcover by Colleen Carroll Campbell.

The New Faithful is a groundbreaking book that examines the growing trend toward religious orthodoxy among today’s young adults. Author and Journalist Colleen Carroll Campbell offers strong opinions on how this movement might transform an American society steeped in moral relativism and secularism.

Blending investigative journalism with in-depth analysis, Campbell seeks the reasons behind the choice of orthodoxy in a society that often denigrates traditional morality and rejects organized religion.

take care,
amsjj :slight_smile:

I thought that this assertion was pretty common among involved Catholics today. I hear over and over again that “the Latin mass churches are packed” or that “the catechesis is so much better today than it was thirty years ago”. Am I wrong in thinking that this is a thing?

Anyway, the indicators of the trend that I plan to research are:

• An increased popularity of the traditional Latin mass.
  • The Church’s shift to the more orthodox global south.
  • An increase in religious vocations.
  • Strong youth participation, as made evident by World Youth Day.
  • As people leave the Church, those devoted enough to remain create a more devout and orthodox church.
  • Increased conversions(?)
  • Growth of small Catholic universities with strong Catholic identity(?)

Where should I look to back up these claims?

For quantifiable statistics, tart with the leads I gave you: parishes and archdiocese keep these statistics.
PM me for help in refining your questions, such as:
How many parishoners have.become priests, by year, for the last ten years?
Has the archdiocese seen an increase in attendees to…in the last x years? Is that directly attributable to Sacrosanctum Consoliu?

Sorry for the typos, I need to plug in my phone. The browser tends to get wonky.

I hate to throw cold water on your paper, but there are issues with the premise of your paper.
The first is that you would have to prove the the faith was watered down and how. Where did the church water down it’s stance on any doctrinal issue? You would also have to define apathy on what, issues? doctrine? Marriage? life issues? It seems that over the decades the church has been in the lead on theses issues.
Also define what you mean by Orthodox Catholicism? What point is time? Are you talking about the Latin Rite Church of the West or those called Orthodox Church’s of the East?
You would also have to prove that there has been a change in the mind set of the Magnesium, and except for a hand full of bishops, there is non.

Off the top of my head: The Social Kingship of Jesus Christ.

If we think of “the faith” (Peter’s faith) as this untouchable “cloud” that is “out there somewhere” that cannot possibly be tainted, but nevertheless its transmission (in some sense) and its acceptance (in every sense) can be tainted, I think that is a good way to think about things.

No one argues that the faith itself has become corrupt, rather that its transmission in many, but not all, cases and its acceptance in huge swaths of the world has become corrupt.

My understanding of the Social Kingship of Christ is that we a Catholics are to work to bring the Kingdom of God on earth. That is alive and well and is integral to Catholic Social Teaching.

That would be a matter of opinion. Since you are a traditionalist, I can see that you might think that. In my work I don’t see that the transmission is corrupt, but perhaps week in the area of catechists. Yet this is an area that many are working on to improve.
If by transmission, you mean the liturgy, I would disagree.

No, not really. It means that the State has an obligation to recognize the true Faith and to aid the Church in its mission to save souls; even Dignitatis Humanae says thus:

Religious freedom, in turn, which men demand as necessary to fulfill their duty to worship God, has to do with* immunity from coercion** in civil society. Therefore it leaves untouched traditional Catholic doctrine on the moral duty of men and societies toward the true religion and toward the one Church of Christ*.”

Combined with what past Popes said on the matter, this clearly indicates that the State has an obligation to the Church beyond simply allowing it to operate on the same level as false religions.

I have never heard this called the Social Kingship of Christ, were did you get it from?

However, the teaching that the church is the one true church started by Christ with it’s mission to save souls has never changed not is watered down. We do not consider the Church on the same level of other belief since we profess that we have the fullness of Gods’ truth and salvation. I regularly teach this.
Just because the Church has recognized that the Holy Spirit is working at some level in most faiths and that the is some level of truth found there, does not weaken or make us equal, it in fact make us stronger. It allows us to enter into dialog with others to find common ground in our belief for the betterment of all mankind, to the service of mankind which is the Church’s prime objective. In this way we are better able to save souls.
It’s not us against them, it’s us with them to make a better world.
Think of it this way. You are blessed with strength, but what good is your strength if you fail to carry your brother who cannot walk.
the same is with the Church, our strength is of no good if we do not work with others.

Good comments, FAB.

You might want to look at the book: Catholic Church at the End of an Age, by Ralph Martin. Very well done.

First, thank you for proving my point.:wink:

Second, read Quas Primas.

:shrug: What Point. The document establishes the Feast of Christ the King, which is now called the Feast of Christ the King of the Universe just to make the point the Christ is King of Heaven and earth. By the way still a teaching that has always been taught.

You used the term the Social Kingship of Christ which is not in this document.
So once again, were are you getting this term?

The Doctrine that the Kingship of Christ has authority over temporal affairs, and that the State has a duty to support the Catholic Church over false religions (i.e. recognizing it as the One True Faith) for the salvation of man’s souls.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.