Writing a short film...What do you think of the idea?

So I have to write and shoot a short film for a program my TV Production teacher wants me to enroll in my senior year of high school. It has to be at most 10 minutes. The thing is that it is due in October so I don't want to make it overly complicated to film. I was originally going to shoot a 5-10 minute slasher film, but I didn't like the script I wrote. Then last night I had this idea: A film in which you see the characters and their body, but not their faces. You see their arms, legs, hair, ears, shoulders, pretty much everything but their faces. And this is the story line to go with it:

A girl is talking with her friends outside in school. She gets a text saying to meet in the bleachers. She goes to the field and meets a guy there. They start arguing. Apparently, she is one of the most popular girls in school, he's not. And at a Halloween party they hooked up. He read too much into it, and she pretty much tells him that she was drunk and it was a dare (or a lost bet). And most of the film is the conversation and the camera cuts to scenery and the characters' different body parts, but never their face. She turns to walk away, he grabs her. Cut to maybe an hour or so later. Her friends come to the bleachers looking for her. They find her behind the bleacher. She is dead. We finally see her face.

So this is pretty much my idea. I wanted to know what people thought of this before I started writing. I thought that the audience never seeing anyone's face until the end was pretty interesting. I like doing interesting things like that.

So what do you guys think? Opinions? Thoughts? Seem like a good idea? Seem easy to shoot?

Seems very violent, to me.

For mine when I was in film club I did one about a group of kids who were going through the whole city looking for a place to play baseball for free. It had lots of awesome city scenery and was extremely low budget and easy to do. Feel free to borrow my idea. :)

It's over the top. And not to sound mean, but I doubt it will impress anyone as it's a bit of a rehash of so many movies. I can give you a movie that will be outstanding if you can find the right actor, and or actress to help with it. You can actually film it without them saying a word if you wanted. Here's the script:

For sale. One pair of baby shoes. Never worn.

Film it so the viewer has to fill in the blanks that are running through your head right now. This movie doesn't have to be tragic...keep that in mind as well.

[quote="Lutheranteach, post:3, topic:208440"]
Here's the script:

For sale. One pair of baby shoes. Never worn.

[/quote]

Ernest Hemingway!

Hemingway, who is known for his short and to the point writing style, was challenged to write a story in six words. He did.

For sale. Baby shoes. Never worn.

[quote="SalesianSDB, post:4, topic:208440"]
Ernest Hemingway!

Hemingway, who is known for his short and to the point writing style, was challenged to write a story in six words. He did.

For sale. Baby shoes. Never worn.

[/quote]

That one always makes me cry. Go for it - it's brilliant. :)

[quote="SalesianSDB, post:1, topic:208440"]
So I have to write and shoot a short film for a program my TV Production teacher wants me to enroll in my senior year of high school. It has to be at most 10 minutes. The thing is that it is due in October so I don't want to make it overly complicated to film. I was originally going to shoot a 5-10 minute slasher film, but I didn't like the script I wrote. Then last night I had this idea: A film in which you see the characters and their body, but not their faces. You see their arms, legs, hair, ears, shoulders, pretty much everything but their faces. And this is the story line to go with it:

A girl is talking with her friends outside in school. She gets a text saying to meet in the bleachers. She goes to the field and meets a guy there. They start arguing. Apparently, she is one of the most popular girls in school, he's not. And at a Halloween party they hooked up. He read too much into it, and she pretty much tells him that she was drunk and it was a dare (or a lost bet). And most of the film is the conversation and the camera cuts to scenery and the characters' different body parts, but never their face. She turns to walk away, he grabs her. Cut to maybe an hour or so later. Her friends come to the bleachers looking for her. They find her behind the bleacher. She is dead. We finally see her face.

So this is pretty much my idea. I wanted to know what people thought of this before I started writing. I thought that the audience never seeing anyone's face until the end was pretty interesting. I like doing interesting things like that.

So what do you guys think? Opinions? Thoughts? Seem like a good idea? Seem easy to shoot?

[/quote]

Sounds like "Boxing Helena" or "May." Someone else already made it. Would this be a remake?

I’ve never heard of it being done before…and now I’m considering the whole, “For Sale: Baby Shoes. Never worn” idea, but I need something that is easy to make.

IT would be very easy to make. You could also film it in any number of ways.

I would possibly start with a medium shot of a woman at the computer. Move in until you are over her shoulder. You can see the site she is on is Ebay. Move to her fingers...and then back to the screen...where you see: "For sale" then fade away. You could film various things around the house. If you want it to be a tragedy. You could have shots of an empty crib....baby clothes that are folded and boxed. Stuffed animals...etc. until you get back to the rest of her entry. "one pair of baby shoes. Never worn." To make it a happy film you move around to the same kinds of things with the room very "boyish" and when you see a "It's a boy" sign somewhere in the house and once you see the rest of the entry, move back to shoe box that has girls baby shoes. You could probably film it in such a way that the answer is totally up to the viewer as well.

Yes, the other posters are correct; this was Hemingway's response to a challenge for a six-word story. I've always thought it would be an outstanding short film project.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.