writing during mass?

A friend of mine writes in her journal during mass. She always uses a pen and a spiral journal. Mass and adoration always stirs her soul in amazing ways. God seems to communicate with her in unique ways and the poetry she writes during these times is just amazing. She usually stops writing just after the homily. I don't personally have a problem with it since it's where she communicates with God. I'm wondering is it alright that she writes?

I know she has been kicked out of one church because the priest doesn't like her writing. Apparently people have complained about it, so the priest's way of handling it was telling her to either refrain from writing or don't attend mass. Those who know her, understand writing is part of her spirit and don't question it. I don't personally see how it could be a problem if someone is writing in a journal (pen and paper.) Any type of electronic device ex: ipad, iphone, tablet, I could see and so does she hence the pen and paper. She also likes to take notes of the pastor's homily. Her present pastor understands her writing and her unique connection with God. What are your thoughts on this matter?

[quote="SecretGarden, post:1, topic:282605"]
A friend of mine writes in her journal during mass. She always uses a pen and a spiral journal. Mass and adoration always stirs her soul in amazing ways. God seems to communicate and the poetry she writes during these times is just amazing. I'm wondering is it ok for her to write? She usually stops writing just after the homily. I don't personally have a problem with it since it's where she communicates with God. I'm wondering is it ok that she writes?

I know she has been kicked out of one church because the priest doesn't like her writing. Apparently people complained about it, so the priest's way of handling it was telling her to either refrain from writing or don't attend mass. I don't personally see how it could be a problem if someone is writing in a journal (pen and paper.) Any type of electronic device ex: ipad, iphone, tablet, I could see and so does she hence the pen and paper. She also likes to take notes of the pastor's homily. Her present pastor understands her writing and her unique connection with God. What are your thoughts on this matter?

[/quote]

I don't think it's a good idea, and could possibly a sign of spiritual vanity. One should participate completely in the entire Mass from beginning to end, without engaging in other activities.

I don't see anything wrong with it. I don't know why other people would be offended with it. Is this any worse than the next guy day dreaming and being mentally absent?

While its a bit unusual, I don't see a problem with it. For centuries people prayed the rosary during Mass.

How was the woman "Kicked out of church?" Did the priest really tell her to stop coming?

Seems a bit drastic.

-Tim-

I think she's not participating if she's writing poetry. Sorry. Sometimes my pastor says some really great things in his homilies too, but I can't sit and take notes like I'm in a seminar. It's Mass, not class.

The Catholic author, Matthew Kelly, suggests keeping a Mass journal. I don't personally see anything wrong with it, however I would end up distracted and unable to absorb the auditory stimuli that I'm meant to pay attention to.

They had much better powers of concentration than I! :slight_smile: I can only pray the rosary if there are no outward distractions…:o Maybe I should get some practice in everyday situations.

I don’t see a problem with her writing at adoration. But at mass, we celebrate mass as a community, participating together. I can certainly see how her writing would disturb those around her. We come together as a community to worship. Her writing during mass can certainly be interpreted to be display of being an individual and not part of the parish community as a whole.

[quote="TheRealJuliane, post:6, topic:282605"]
I think she's not participating if she's writing poetry. Sorry. Sometimes my pastor says some really great things in his homilies too, but I can't sit and take notes like I'm in a seminar. It's Mass, not class.

[/quote]

What's wrong with jotting down good points during a homily?

I did that a couple of times at an FSSP parish and no one had a problem with it.

I'm not referring to writing poetry. That's something else.

What if she brought a digital voice recorder, recorded the Mass, with permission if necessary, and went home and wrote her poetry while listening to it a second time?

*i am a bit late in this thread but I wonder if Jesus's apostles were writing during the last supper?I find this "writing" offensive and I also find my own wayward thoughts during Mass offensive to Jesus. In our church we have a woman who picked up our bulletin and starting reading it during the homily.WHAT! The homily is not a speech and the Mass is not a classroom.Both should be followed with strict reverence in my opinion.ger *

:shrug: some people think better in poetic form - especially if they are a poet.

Personally, it wouldn't annoy me if someone is taking notes during the homily (I guess I'm used to it from my protestant days where it was very common to take notes. Some churches even provide space in the bulletin for note taking). Certainly much better than getting stuck in front of people who spend the whole Mass gossiping (this has happened to me several times :mad: ).

[quote="NewEnglandPriest, post:4, topic:282605"]
While its a bit unusual, I don't see a problem with it. For centuries people prayed the rosary during Mass.

[/quote]

Father

did you know that here in Delaware a local pastor threw people out of the Mass because he felt that attendees were saying the rosary to loudly.The impression that I got is that he did not want people to say the rosary in the pews for any reason because the church had a room in the back for saying the rosary.ger

[quote="steboyz, post:13, topic:282605"]
*i am a bit late in this thread but I wonder if Jesus's apostles were writing during the last supper?I find this "writing" offensive and I also find my own wayward thoughts during Mass offensive to Jesus. In our church we have a woman who picked up our bulletin and starting reading it during the homily.WHAT! The homily is not a speech and the Mass is not a classroom.Both should be followed with strict reverence in my opinion.ger *

[/quote]

I find that we are as offended as we choose to be.

**and a young man named Eutychus who was sitting on the window sill was sinking into a deep sleep as Paul talked on and on. Once overcome by sleep, he fell down from the third story and when he was picked up, he was dead.* (Acts 20:9)*

Eutychus was listening to a homily by one of the authors of the Bible! Even then people were human and the guy fell asleep, fell out the window and died!

**Put on then, as God's chosen ones, holy and beloved, heartfelt compassion, kindness, humility, gentleness, and patience, bearing with one another and forgiving one another, if one has a grievance against another; as the Lord has forgiven you, so must you also do.* (Colossians 3:12-13)*

Sometimes we construct rules about strict reverence for everyone else which I'm not sure we are ready to follow ourselves. An honest examination would show that no one is able to concentrate one hundred percent of the time.

-Tim-

[quote="steboyz, post:15, topic:282605"]
Father

did you know that here in Delaware a local pastor threw people out of the Mass because he felt that attendees were saying the rosary to loudly.The impression that I got is that he did not want people to say the rosary in the pews for any reason because the church had a room in the back for saying the rosary.ger

[/quote]

If you are doing the Rosary at mass it shouldn't be vocal, it should be mental. I can imagine being asked to leave any mass if you are saying the Rosary out loud. It's one thing to pray in silence, it's another to be praying out loud and interrupting others who may be praying a different prayer or attempting to follow the mass.

[quote="NewEnglandPriest, post:4, topic:282605"]

[/quote]

I agree. :thumbsup: I always have a pen at Mass and if there is something said in a the homily that I feel I want for later, will jot the note down somewhere and pursue it later. I take pen and journal and Bible and prayer book with me to adoration and often write free verse of poetry about what comes to mind which often reflects my interactions with Our Lord, or even just my adoration.

Heck, how many priests wish their parishioners were taking notes on his homily if that meant they were actually listening and deepening their conversions by it?

[quote="TimothyH, post:5, topic:282605"]
How was the woman "Kicked out of church?" Did the priest really tell her to stop coming?

Seems a bit drastic.

-Tim-

[/quote]

If I was her I'd call the Bishop. I can't see how writing is worthy of being kicked out???? She stops after the homily. Some priests are so full of themselves if you aren't "into" their homily they are offended. It sounds like she shows proper respect for Jesus by stopping the writing after the homily.

There is a mental illness and physical illness as well that causes what is called "hypergraphia"--excessive writing. It's common in epileptics. This woman should not be kicked out of mass for what may be a "mental" or physical issue. She is not hurting anyone by writing on paper. I've seen people playing video games whispering to their neighbor, wandering in and out of mass, listening to MP3 players, and sleeping so her writing "messages from God' seems a whole lot more focused than others often do in mass.

[quote="TimothyH, post:16, topic:282605"]
I find that we are as offended as we choose to be.

and a young man named Eutychus who was sitting on the window sill was sinking into a deep sleep as Paul talked on and on. Once overcome by sleep, he fell down from the third story and when he was picked up, he was dead. (Acts 20:9)

Eutychus was listening to a homily by one of the authors of the Bible! Even then people were human and the guy fell asleep, fell out the window and died!

Put on then, as God's chosen ones, holy and beloved, heartfelt compassion, kindness, humility, gentleness, and patience, bearing with one another and forgiving one another, if one has a grievance against another; as the Lord has forgiven you, so must you also do. (Colossians 3:12-13)

Sometimes we construct rules about strict reverence for everyone else which I'm not sure we are ready to follow ourselves. An honest examination would show that no one is able to concentrate one hundred percent of the time.

-Tim-

[/quote]

I often read the bulletin during the homily and if you quizzed me I could tell you every single word of the homily. I am fully capable of doing two things at once and I'm an adult. I do not feel I'm being disrespectful during mass as my full attention is on Jesus. Don't assume people who are doing something aren't listening.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.