Writing fiction?

I know someone already asked if monks can read fiction--what about write it? Is this a way to bring God's message to the world, and can it be done in a religious community? Or would this be better in married life? Can you even have a vocation to write fiction?

You would most likely have to have the permission of your Superior in order to write a book in the monastery. Religious are very busy people so it would be likely that you wouldn't have time to sit and write. If you were able to, somehow, your topics would most likely be limited to Christian fiction.

This would be a good thing to discuss with the Vocation Director of whatever order you are interested in. ;)

[quote="Filia_Mariae, post:1, topic:234060"]
I know someone already asked if monks can read fiction--what about write it? Is this a way to bring God's message to the world, and can it be done in a religious community? Or would this be better in married life? Can you even have a vocation to write fiction?

[/quote]

Writing fiction can still deliver a truth.It can deliver a positive message to the world and help to prosper Jesus's name.Your other questiions I'll leave to someone else to answer.

There are Monks that have written fiction and non-fiction. Thomas Merton was a best selling author and speaker, and he was a Trappist. He was released from his vow of silence, so that he could give his speeches, etc. All of the income from his books, lectures, training seminars, etc, went to (and still do go to) the Abbey of Gesthemene (spelling). They have made millions of dollars from all of his activities. (Merton [Father Louis as he was known in the Monastery] died in 1968, but his books have never been out of print. In fact, they sell them in the gift shop at the Abbey (as well as in just about every Catholic Bookstore in the world. 100% of the royalties go to his community.)

This would fall under the heading of work. An Abbot would likely encourage this activity, because it would help to support the monastery.

closed #5

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.