Writing for God & Good

Hi All,

I was wondering if anyone might be able to help point me in directions that could help me with something I’ve wanted to do.

I love to write. My career, and interests, have me in the middle of our blossoming digital world. As such, I’ve always wanted to blog. I’ve written here and there, but never in a way that satisfied me.

Topics that interest me are sports, politics and the digital world. I’ve always thought it’d be interesting to talk about how athletes practice their faith (seems all we hear about are steroids and DUIs), how politicians are doing good (seems all we hear about are affairs and smear campaigns), and how we can use the digital tools at our disposal to share good news (and the Good News!).

I’ve considered starting my own blog, but I’m not sure that’s the right avenue at this point. I’d really like to jump on with another established source that might have interest in including one/some of these topics. Would anyone have any ideas on places that might have some interest or be worth looking into?

Thanks in advance!

-Domino

I should add, that I’d also give thought to combining with others to create something new. I’d just like to be a part of something bigger, to work for something greater, to utilize my passions for something I feel is worthwhile.

Instead of blogging maybe you could try vlogging? Making videos and posting them on youtube. You could still write what you want to say, but then present it in a video. I know a lot of people that do this, it seems to be trending upwards recently. There are tons of secular people who do this, but it's catching fire in the Catholic World as well!

Just an idea!

God bless and good luck!

-Paul

Try to get on Catholic radio, first.

I can speak from my career background that yes, video is huge. YouTube is the 2nd leading search engine in the world. It’s also estimated that by the end of next year, about 50% of search results will be video.

I’m not sure if video (or radio) is my thing. Writing has always been my strong skill, whereas being in the spotlight hasn’t.

Appreciate the input, and that’s definitely a great idea (and one that should be incorporated into any successful blog)!

Blogging is a waste of time. A blog post is soon buried and forgotten. Also, how do you attract readers? It's impossible unless you advertise which costs a lot of money.

Why not write a novel? If it's a success it will reach many readers, long after you're gone.

I've written a novel myself and am looking for a publisher.

It's main theme is that a good person does good in the world. This is hardly a new idea, but in today's world you'd think the idea was forgotten. Every character in every story has to have an "edge", an inperfection, a failing, something to attract the reader's attention.
Why not a story about a good person with no personality problems? :) There are such people in the world, you know. :D

Let's give them their own hero.

[quote="empther, post:6, topic:310650"]
Blogging is a waste of time. A blog post is soon buried and forgotten. Also, how do you attract readers? It's impossible unless you advertise which costs a lot of money.

Why not write a novel? If it's a success it will reach many readers, long after you're gone.

I've written a novel myself and am looking for a publisher.

It's main theme is that a good person does good in the world. This is hardly a new idea, but in today's world you'd think the idea was forgotten. Every character in every story has to have an "edge", an inperfection, a failing, something to attract the reader's attention.
Why not a story about a good person with no personality problems? :) There are such people in the world, you know. :D

Let's give them their own hero.

[/quote]

I see your point about the novel, but I'm not sure that's where I want to be focusing, at least not at this point in my life.

However, I have to strongly disagree about blogging. Quality blog posts are referenced over-and-over, particularly if the content isn't time-sensitive. They're all archived, and don't really "go away". Blogs are the #1 thing someone can do to increase the search relevancy of their website--Google loves blogs. You grow and attract your audience through social media (primarily), or by working on an established site (see my desire not to build from the ground-up, if possible).

So, no, blogging is not a waste of time, nor is it impossible to grow your audience without advertising.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.