Writing in your bible (Merged)

Another thing I’ve been doing lately is printing up data such as prayers and lists and even a diocesan map of the country with the names of all the bishops so I can pray for them by name. I also printed up the “Year of Faith” prayer and other prayers we pray at the end of Mass.

Then I glue them to the extra blank pages in the front and back of the Bible using a “restickable” glue stick that makes them like those post-it memos. I can pull them out and replace them later with no damage to the Bible pages. Oh yeah, I also got a round corner punch to make them pretty (and avoid dog ears).

I guess the “customize” bug really bit me…

But when my new leather bound Baronius D-R Bible arrives in the mail, I may rethink this whole issue and keep it pristine – at least for as long as I can stand it.

[quote="Russ_of_Tokyo, post:21, topic:332708"]

But when my new leather bound Baronius D-R Bible arrives in the mail, I may rethink this whole issue and keep it pristine -- at least for as long as I can stand it.

[/quote]

I so want to order one of those Baronius Press Douay-Rheims Bibles. I'll save up for Christmas :D

I guess it depends on how many Bibles you own, how expensive they are, what you plan to do with them in terms of personal study/devotion, and the kind of materials they are made from.

No, I believe there is nothing wrong with highlighting in a Bible, unless you find a 2,000 year Bible like the Vatican Codex or Sinai Codex preserved in amazing condition.

I recently wanted to read through the NT for a second time (I had finished reading through the NT for the 1st time only a short time before) so I came up with a highlighting color system to use in my Common English Bible NT. For example, I use the color blue for Satan, sin, evil, etc; yellow for the Holy Spirit; green for Christ, the Church, and sacraments; etc. Highlighting can really help you remember specific passages and if you’re into apologetics, it helps with that too. I would emphasize if you use a highlighting color system for personal Bible study, don’t go more than 5 or 6 different colors.

My dad was a Baptist minister for over fifty years. I received the last Bible that he used when he preached. It is marked up with what was important to him and it is a treasure for me. So, for all of us, what a treasure for our kids if we leave them a worn bible with our thoughts on different scriptures. I think, since I received his Bible, and he did not do this, but I think I will date entries in the margin, etc. so that my kids can follow along and know when it was that I was thinking what I wrote.

I take great delight in picking passages that mean a lot to me as Catholic and checking Dad’s Bible to see if he had any thoughts on these passages. Unfortunately, there aren’t to many that match up.

Just some thoughts.

Stan

Yeah, if I owned the Vaticanus, Alexandrinus or Sinaiticus I don't think I would highlight them. :)

This thread did remind me of the other side of the coin. When I was a Protestant, I thoroughly highlighted and annotated my Bibles. It helped me find those "important" passages in a hurry. But now I'm amazed at what parts I didn't highlight because I could not recognize them as significant. And Highlighting "around" them only pushed them further into obscurity.

Maybe someone has already mentioned this here, but some of the greatest theological thoughts and comments have been in notes written in the margins of the bible by some of the greatest Saints and Church Fathers. They called them “Glosses”. Only the most learned, in those times, were permitted to comment on the texts in the margins, since the bibles were communal property. In the Summa of St. Thomas he regularly makes references to the glosses to emphasize his point to show that he understands things as the masters understood them.
Now, we each have our own bibles, so we are free to take notes, highlight, etc. You will find, over time, when you come back to a note or highlight years later that you have learned so much more than you knew when you wrote the note, at least I see that in my old raggedy book, with its broken binding in Isaiah.

John Martin

I don’t highlight my Bible, but then I don’t hilight anything. I used to, in university, but I soon realized that either I never went back to re-read anything, or when I did I ignored all the highlights. As a result, anything I read today remains pristine.:thumbsup:

[quote="ThisEbenezer, post:14, topic:332708"]
Absolutely! Mine is a messof highlights and notes in the margins. I also keep a small spiral notebook in the case with it for notes and to write down inspirations from the Spirit.

God bless

[/quote]

I'm glad to hear that mine isn't the only one that is a mess of highlights too! I've read mine about 9 or 10 times now and each time I find something that hadn't quite 'grabbed' me in the past, so there's always new highlights. Before long my entire Bible will be highlighted! But I guess that's maybe what makes it a 'Living Bible'! BTW....I also have many verses underlined and notes all over as well. They, too, keep multiplying each time I read the Book.

I have a copy on my phone wich I highlight when I'm bookmarking where I've stopped. My copy that I received for my christening, I keep precious photos inside the cover and don't highlight that one

It is fine as long it is done for devotional and learning purposes. I have two bibles I do mark one for bible study but the other bible I do not touch.

Absolutely fine. Does anyone know if its okay to do if the bible has been blessed?[BIBLEDRB][/BIBLEDRB]

Yes by all means if it is your personal Bible. There are special highlighters made for the paper thin pages…google Zebrite and it is the eco one used for this purpose. They are not cheap but worth it. My husband and I also have small rulers and underline carefully with a pen. My Bible has writing in the margins and tops of the pages to reference other parts of Scripture and the back blank pages have lists of Scripture for reference also. Scott Hahn & Jeff Cavins who are masters at the Bible have a system of colors that they use for different purposes. What ever helps to remember or to know Scripture is not frowned upon at all and it makes God smile!!!

[quote="pmichaelson, post:32, topic:332708"]
Yes by all means if it is your personal Bible. There are special highlighters made for the paper thin pages....google Zebrite and it is the eco one used for this purpose. They are not cheap but worth it. My husband and I also have small rulers and underline carefully with a pen. My Bible has writing in the margins and tops of the pages to reference other parts of Scripture and the back blank pages have lists of Scripture for reference also. Scott Hahn & Jeff Cavins who are masters at the Bible have a system of colors that they use for different purposes. What ever helps to remember or to know Scripture is not frowned upon at all and it makes God smile!!!

[/quote]

Will you share please that method of Scott Hahn and Jeff Cavins for Bible highlighting.

I’ve never tried one of the highlighters made specifically for Bibles, and although my Bible’s pages are very thin, I’ve never had a problem using a regular, cheap highlighter from a dollar store–even when I highlight something on a page that’s directly over a highlighted verse on the previous page. Just make sure the highlighter has enough ink in it that you only have to run it over the words once. I think that’s a good rule of thumb even if you’re not highlighting a verse on a page that’s directly over a previous page’s highlighted area. I hope I explained that well enough. It’s sounds confusing as I’m reading over it, but I hope you get what I’m trying (badly) to explain! :o

:thumbsup:

I get it, welcome to CAF:thumbsup:

I have a bible that I used for two exegesis classes. I have it highlighted everywhere and have notes in the margins. Since it is my copy for class, I was OK with writing in it.
The pages are also thin and I realized that I needed an alternative that wouldn’t leak through. The best thing I found - CRAYONS! Bright ones work exceptionally well. (for example a bright shade of green)

[quote="ahbet, post:36, topic:332708"]
I have a bible that I used for two exegesis classes. I have it highlighted everywhere and have notes in the margins. Since it is my copy for class, I was OK with writing in it.
The pages are also thin and I realized that I needed an alternative that wouldn't leak through. The best thing I found - CRAYONS! Bright ones work exceptionally well. (for example a bright shade of green)

[/quote]

What a great idea. :thumbsup:

Ca you post a picture of a Bible page that you marked with crayons because I’m not sure how the wax of crayons would look on a Bible page.

Blessings!

[quote="ahbet, post:36, topic:332708"]
The pages are also thin and I realized that I needed an alternative that wouldn't leak through. The best thing I found - CRAYONS! Bright ones work exceptionally well. (for example a bright shade of green)

[/quote]

Ok, this sounds really interesting and cool!

[quote="landon13, post:38, topic:332708"]
Ca you post a picture of a Bible page that you marked with crayons because I'm not sure how the wax of crayons would look on a Bible page.

Blessings!

[/quote]

would love to but i'm not sure how to post or where to post it to. :(

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.