Writing Novenas and Prayers

Is it okay to write and recite Prayers and Novenas of one’s own making? What if say the Saint or Angel one wants to pray to (as in ask for intercession or protection) has no suitable Prayer or Novena for them?

For isntance, Saint/Archangel Raphael is, according to SQPN, the patron saint against nightmares (among other things). I have trouble sleeping a lot because of nightmares and the fear of getting nightmares. There is no Prayer or Novena to St. Raphael (that I have found at least) that specifically addresses nightmares. Is it okay if I create one for self-use (and perhaps to share with friends or on this site)?

St. Raphael is a favorite of mine.

There is a website, and I’m sorry I can’t give you the address, it’s not printed on the materials I ran off. You can google “prayers to St. Raphael” and will probably find it

There are prayers for healing, safe travel, happy meetings, mates, and a litany to St. Raphael. Nothing specific to nightmares. However, you can use the prayer for healing because you can insert an intention. It can be said for 9 or 21 days as a novena. I’ve printed the prayer for you below. Or, you can make up your own. The main thing is the prayer, not the fact that it’s worded a certain way.

St. Raphael Prayer for Healing
Glorious Archangel St. Raphael, great prince of the heavenly court, you are illustrious for your gifts of wisdom and grace. You are a guide of those who journey by land or sea or air, consoler of the afflicted and refuge of sinners. I beg you, assist me in all my needs and in all the sufferings of this life as once you helped the young Tobias on his travels. Because you are the “Medicine of God”, I humbly pray you to heal the many infirmaties of my soul and the ills that afflict my body. I especially ask of you the favor of______________________
______________ and the great grace of purity to prepare me to be the temple of the Holy Spirit. Amen.

You can certainly write it for your prayer. Praying is talking with God.
However, I use this prayer at this site for praying to have a good sleep. I too had bad dreams sometimes:

saint-mike.org/spcdc/swprayers/default.asp

example:

Bedtime Protection Prayer

In the name of the Lord Jesus Christ, strengthened by the intercession of the Immaculate Virgin Mary, Mother of God, of Blessed Michael the Archangel, of the Blessed Apostles Peter and Paul, and all the Saints and Angels of Heaven, and powerful in the holy authority of the name His Name, I subject my mind and my dreams only to the work of the Holy Spirit. I ask you Lord to bind up all powers of darkness and forbid them to work in my dreams or any part of my subconscious while I sleep. Amen.

Water,
What a great prayer. I’d add St. Raphael in there somewhere, too :slight_smile:

We always think of St. Michael in terms of protection from evil, but the Book of Tobit indicates the Archangel Raphael is pretty powerful in that regard, too.

Thanks. Is it okay to compose prayers for other people? I ask because I have good writing skills (this according to others) and this might be a way to be a blessing to other people.

I don’t see why there’d be anything wrong with writing prayers to share, especially if it was meant as a gift. If you mean write a book of prayers to make money, that might be a different story and you’d probably want to check with your priest
to see what the Anglican Church has to say about it.

(This is a topic for another thread or a PM, but wondering why/how you became Christian instead of Messianic? I know several Messianic Jews and they’re quick to say that they’re not Christians but Jews who believe Jesus is the Messiah.)

I am a Jew who has accepted Jesus as their Messiah. Soon, I will be a member, in full communion, of Christ’s (Roman) Catholic Church.

nsper7,
My apologies! I must have had a middle-aged blackout or something. I could swear your post said “Anglican communion.” (What a ditz! Sorry!)

(Still, interesting topic for another thread. I don’t know any Jewish-to-Cristian converts, only Messianic Jews.)

Welcome to the Church!

Eh, the thing is that these things are getting overly common these days. Founders, writers and “new charisms” seem to pop out more than members actually joining them.

Stick to what there is if you wan’t my opinion if you are simple lay person. It is a path that I saw many take and ended up visionaries and the sort.

Pro Domina,
Are you saying that you pray no spontaneous, from the heart prayers or that you never pray a spontaneous pray-out-loud gut-level prayer with a friend who is sick or hurting? That all you pray are prayers out of a book? Making up a prayer is not going to lead to visions and craziness unless the person is already of that ilk. We’re not talking about prayer to ascended masters here, we’re talking about prayer that falls within the teachings of the Church. That kind of fear and scrupulosity isn’t healthy, nor is it Christian or Catholic.

I didn’t say I did not pray spontanous prayer.

In fact there is nothing more wonderful to go to the Blessed Sacrament and look at Him and He look at you and just open your heart to Him.

But getting into that writting stuff is ussually of that “ilk”.

Pro Domina,
That’s an awful generalization. Writing prayers for others is not uncommon. So, if writing prayers makes you “of that ilk”, as you say, than just considering doing so probably does, too, correct? Or is it the actual writing that does it?

nsper7,
Make sure it’s within the teachings of the Church;
and if you meant making your written prayers available publicly or publishing, ask your parish priest and see what he says about it.

nsper7, don’t worry about the poster who is afraid you will become one of those “ilk” if you compose a prayer to St. Raphael to petition for a specific favor - your nightmares. Write away and put your feelings on paper.

Also, have you given consideration to simply talking to St. Raphael and explain your fear. There is no need for a formal written prayer. He might enjoy the simplicity.

Today’s Psalm at the Mass celebrating Angels is beautiful and if you read it before going to sleep it may give you comfort and security.

Psalm 91:10-11

No evil shall befall you,
nor shall afliction come near your tent,
For to his angels he has given command about you,
that they guard you in all your ways.

God Bless and Sleep Well!!!

:sleep: :hug3: :blessyou:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.