Writing of the Saints about Hell

I’m looking for any approved private revelations and other writings which discuss Hell, especially visions of Hell.

Thank you!

Hi ProdigalArchitect,

The first saint that I thought of, is St. Faustina, because reading her diary had such a profound affect on me personally.

Here is a link to the Aleteia website, where it describes the experiences of three saints who had visions of Hell: St. Teresa of Avila, St. Faustina, and Sr. Lucy, one of the children of Fatima:

aleteia.org/2013/10/25/3-absolutely-terrifying-visions-of-hell/

Thank you! I’ve been meaning to read St. Faustina’s account for a while now. I guess it’s about time I stopped putting it off.

You’re welcome. :slight_smile:

I definitely would recommend reading St. Faustina’s Diary if you are interested, especially as Divine Mercy Sunday is coming up after Easter Sunday. :slight_smile:

christtotheworld.blogspot.com/2010/04/sister-josefa-menendezs-description-of.html

todayscatholicworld.com/bosco_hell.htm

St. Faustina.

St. John Bosco?

Is it not correct, though, that a private revelation may be “approved” in the sense that nothing in it contradicts the faith, yet, AS a private revelation, it need not be believed?

Yes, you are correct. :slight_smile:

I’m posting a link to an article from EWTN’s website that goes into more detail about private and public revelations. I thought that it might be of interest to show what the Church teaches:

ewtn.com/expert/answers/apparitions.htm

Three of the biggest Devotions in the Catholic Church are the… Rosary , Divine Mercy and The Sacred Heart of Jesus… all of them are private revelation.

Yes, and the novena beginning on Good Friday and ending Divine Mercy Sunday.

ewtn.com/Devotionals/mercy/novena.htm#5

Check out, “Visions of Heaven, Hell and Purgatory”, by Bob and Penny Lord and “Forty Dreams of St. John Bosco”, by Tan Books.

I forgot to mention the book by the Lords, so I’m glad that you did. :slight_smile:

It’s a really good book, as it mentions different saints who had different experiences of Heaven, Hell and Purgatory. It makes for some fascinating reading.

Thank you very much everyone!

A lot more could be added, such as;

The feast of Our Lady of Guadalupe, as well as all of the devotions to her.
The Immaculate Conception itself was a private revelation just prior to the Papal pronouncement.

There are plenty of others too.

However, all of these private revelations were ultimately approved and adopted by the Universal Church.

Right , the point being is that private revelations hold a very important place in the Catholic Church.

indeed

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.