Writings Which the Catholic Church decided to be the "Canon" of Scripture of the New Testament:

Writings Which the Catholic Church decided to be the “Canon” of Scripture of the New Testament:

**Bolded ** Writings which the Catholic Church decided to be the “Canon” of Scripture of the New Testament

+ Writings (existing today) which the Church decided would NOT be included in the “Canon”

***** Writings (no longer in existence) which the Church decided would NOT be included in the “Canon”

GOSPELS

*Andrew
*Apelles
*Twelve Apostles
*Barnabas
*Bartholomew
*Basilides
+Birth of Mary
*Cerinthus
*Eyptians
*Ebionites
*Encratites
*Eve
*Hebrews
*Hesychius
+Infancy of Jesus Christ
+Infancy (by Thomas)
John
*Jude
*Judas Iscariot
+Lost Gospel of Peter
Luke
*Marcion
Mark
Matthew
*Matthias
*Mernthus
*Nazarenes
+Nicodemus
*Perfection
*Peter
+Philip
+The Protevangelion
*Sythianus
*Titan
*Thaddaeus
+Thomas
+Truth

• Valentinus

REVELATION

*Cerinthus
John
*Paul
*Peter
*Philip
*Stephen
*Thomas

EPISTLES

+Barnabas
*Christ (to Peter & Paul)
*Christ (produced by the Manichees)
+Clement to the Corinthians (1)
+Clement to the Corinthians (2)
Hebrews
+Herod and Pilate
+Igantius to the Ephesians
+Igantius to the Magnesians
+Igantius to the Trallians
+Igantius to the Romans
+Igantius to the Philadelphians
+Igantius to the Smyrnaeans
+Igantius to the Polycarp
James
+Jesus and Abgarus
**John (1) **
**John (2) **
**John (3) **
Jude
+Paul to the Laodicians
+Paul and the Seneca
Paul to Romans
**Paul to the Corinthians (1) **
**Paul to the Corinthians (2) **
Paul to the Galatians
Paul to the Ephesians
Paul to the Philippians
Paul to the Colossians
**Paul to the Thessalonians (1) **
**Paul to the Thessalonians (2) **
**Paul to Timothy (1) **
**Paul to Timothy (2) **
Paul to Titus
Paul to Philemon
**Peter (1) **
**Peter (2) **
+Polycarp to the Philippians
*Themison (the Montanist)

ACTS

*Andrew
*Apostles (by Leucius)
*Apostles (by Lentitus)
*Apostles (by Leontius)
*Apostles (by Leuthon)
**Apostles (by Luke) **
*Apostles (used by the Ebonites)
*Apostles (used by Manichees)
*Apostles (used by Seleucus)
*John
*Paul
*Paul and Thecla
*Peter
*Philip
*Pilate
*Thomas

BOOKS BY

*Andrew
*Christ
*The Helkesaites
+Hermas (His Visions 1)
+Hermas (His Commands 2)
+Hermas (His Similitudes 3)
*James
*John
*Lentitius
*Matthew
*Matthias
*Paul
*Thomas

OTHER

+Apostles’ Creed
+The Didache
*The Doctrine of Peter
*The Judgement of Peter
*The Preaching of Paul (and Peter)
*The Preaching of Peter
*The Traditions of Matthias

Should you not give God the praise to which Books are inspired and included in our Bible.
He used the Church to make sure that we had His Word. The Church was just God’s instrument to give us His Word.

The church gives God the glory by its action.

Presenting His word to the world God gets the Glory.

And the Church can never be separated from God. Since God is His head.

Your words qoute "Catholic Church decided"
You can twist it all you want but your words speak volumes!!!

There was only one Church who decided this. It was in the Council of Rome 380 AD, Council of Carthage 396 AD, and Council of Hippo 392 AD.

It was the Catholic Church. There were no Orthodox Christians there, since Orthodoxy didn’t exist until 1054 AD.

By the way, the word Catholic Church was first said by Saint Ignatius of Antioch who said: “See that you all follow the bishop, even as Jesus Christ does the Father, and the presbytery as you would the apostles; and reverence the deacons, as being the institution of God. Let no man do anything connected with the Church without the bishop. Let that be deemed a proper Eucharist, which is [administered] either by the bishop, or by one to whom he has entrusted it. Wherever the bishop shall appear, there let the multitude [of the people] also be; even as, wherever Jesus Christ is, there is the Catholic Church. It is not lawful without the bishop either to baptize or to celebrate a love-feast; but whatsoever he shall approve of, that is also pleasing to God, so that everything that is done may be secure and valid.” This was said in 105-107 AD

St. Ignatius was the disciple of St. John the Apostle, and he was taught by him.

newadvent.org/fathers/0109.htm

Fellow Catholics, let me know if I am right about the Councils which I have mentioned.

Yes, God uses the Church to speak by its action and tradtion before he uses written words.

**1Co 4:20 For the kingdom of God is not in word, but in power. **

1Co 15:2 by which you also are being kept safe, if you hold fast the Word which I preached to you, unless you believed in vain.

2Co 4:2 But we have renounced the hidden things of shame, not walking in craftiness, nor corrupting the Word of God, but by the revelation of the truth commending ourselves to every conscience of men before God.

2Co 10:11 Let such a one think this, that such as we are in word through letters, being absent, such we are also being present in deed.

Gal 6:6 But let the one being taught in the Word share with the one teaching, in all good things.

Col 1:25 of which I became a minister, according to the administration of God given to me for you, to fulfill the Word of God,

1Th 1:5 For our gospel did not come to you in word only, but also in power, and in the Holy Spirit, and in much assurance, even as you know what kind we were among you for your sake.

2Th 2:15 So, then, brothers, stand firm and strongly hold the teachings you were taught, whether by word or by our letter.

Col 4:6 Let your word be always with grace, having been seasoned with salt, to know how you ought to answer each one.

1Ti 4:12 Let no one despise your youth, but become an example of the believers in word, in conduct, in love, in spirit, in faith, in purity.

1Ti 5:17 Let the elders who take the lead well be counted worthy of double honor, especially those laboring in Word and teaching.

Tit 1:9 clinging to the faithful Word according to the teaching, that he may be able both to encourage by sound doctrine and to convict the ones contradicting.

Tit 3:8 Faithful is the Word, and concerning these things I desire you strongly to affirm that the ones believing God should take thought to maintain good works. These things are good and profitable to men.

**1Jo 3:18 My little children, let us not love in word, or in tongue, but in deed and in truth. **

This says nothing to my point!!

It does, the Catholic Church decided the NT as Canonical. There were no other Churches in those days and it was Catholic.

This says nothing to the qoute "the Church decided"The Church did not decide, God did thru the Church.

Yes, God through the Catholic Church decided which Books were Canonical.

If it is worded as such :thumbsup: We agree

:crossrc:

Hi
So there are about 125 Christian books, which have been left to the mercy of the Christian clergy to make or unmake part of the canon, without any authority of JesusYeshuaIssa. Do the Protestants also share you view in this regard.
Thanks
The West, as I understand, due to certain disinformation has seen only MullahIslam or MullahShariah; the true face of Muhammad’sIslam and PromisedMessiahImamMahdi’sIslam is yet hidden from their eyes, which is truly speaking only peaceful.
GodAllahYHWH is All-Knowing and All-Wise; one should invariably give Claim and Reason on all important issues from one’s Revealed Book; one shouldn’t try putting one’s own words into God’s mouth.

I have been reading the Apostolic Fathers recently, and I can see providence dripping from them. Many of the Aposotilic Fathers documents were either considered or even used locally as scripture before the canon was finalized universally. The documents are generally sound and fantastic to boot, but ever so often I have run across a line that isnt quite accurate (eg. in The Shepard of Hermas, an angel tell hermas that after baptism one may repent once and only of his postbaptismal sins). Practice in the early church with the order of penitents and such did indeed allow only 1 repentance (ie absolution) after baptism (after that you were left to the mercy of God) so back then Hermas would have squared with practice, but practice has changed since then. It is providential that Hermas wasnt canonical, otherwise what was mere dicipline would have been enshrined as doctrine. Same with many of the other Patristic documents.

Of course there are some Patristic documents that are not erroeous in any way, but simply were not divinely inspired and meant by the Holy Spirit to be recognized as scripture.

Those are very good points.
It only backs up the statement that God used man or the Church to make sure we had His Word and all that we need is in the Bible, Gods Word as He has shown it.

God Bless you in your work

Saying that the Church decided … is not erroneous.

Would you say that Jesus’ words to Paul “…why do you persecute Me…” are erroneous? The Church, besides being a body of baptized believers is also God Himself.

So yes, the members of the Catholic Church were the human authors of the writings listed. And other members were the ones who decided for you and I which of the writings would be canonized.

Your faith community, Lutheranism, has decided otherwise on many matters. I feel it is just a problem with authority,… as are most differences in opinion:rolleyes:

It is God thru the Church that all things are done. The Bible clearly states that it is thru God that all things are done.

If you are going to make general statements on the Lutheran Church, that does not prove anything. What has my Church decided otherwise on if you please. God is the final authority and that is where my faith is. God is the Church, where two believers gather I will be there.

:nope: No, not left to the mercy a few of of the Christian Clergy. :nope:

The formation of the New Testament Cannon began in (A.D. 100-220)

The Canon of the New Testament, like that of the Old, is the result of a development, of a process at once stimulated by disputes with doubters, both within and without the Church, and retarded by certain obscurities and natural hesitations, and which did not reach its final term until the dogmatic definition of the Tridentine Council.
newadvent.org/cathen/03274a.htm

Council of Chalcedon, Turkey, 451

Attended by about 600 bishops. Declared that Christ is one Person with two distinct natures, **divine **and human. This was proposed by Pope Leo I, and the response of the bishops was “This we all believe. Peter has spoken through Leo.”

-Jesus instituted the Chruch and gave it Gods authority.

Mat 16:19 And I will give to you the keys of the kingdom of Heaven. And whatever you bind on earth shall occur, having been bound in Heaven. And whatever you may loose on the earth shall be, having been loosed in Heaven.

-Saint Paul and all successors to date have reaffirmed it:

1Ti 3:15 . . . . that you may know how to behave in the house of God, which is the assembly of the living God, the pillar and foundation of the truth.

“See that ye all follow the bishop, even as Christ Jesus does the Father, and the presbytery as ye would the apostles. Do ye also reverence the deacons, as those that carry out the appointment of God. Let no man do anything connected with the Church without the bishop. Let that be deemed a proper Eucharist, which is [administered] either by the bishop, or by one to whom he has entrusted it. Wherever the bishop shall appear, there let the multitude also be; by the bishop, or by one to whom he has entrusted it. Wherever the bishop shall appear, there let the multitude also be; even as, wherever Jesus Christ is, there is the Catholic Church.” Ignatius of Antioch, Epistle to the Smyrneans, 8:2 (c. A.D. 110).

-Jesus promised that the Holy Spirit would be sent to guide as well.

Joh 15:26 And when the Comforter comes, whom **I will send **to you from the Father, **the Spirit of Truth **who proceeds from the Father, that One will witness concerning Me.

Joh 14:16 And I will petition the Father, and He will give you another Comforter, that He may remain with you to the age,

Joh 14:26 but the Comforter, the Holy Spirit, whom the Father will send in My name, He **shall teach you all things **and shall remind you of all things that I said to you.

The Holy Spirit does this foremost through the Church Body, not any ONE man.

[quote=paarsurrey] Do the Protestants also share you view in this regard.
Thanks

[/quote]

If they accept the Bible as Gods Word as handed to them by the Catholic Church which they do then I would say yes they sure do.

:gopray2: :highprayer: :byzsoc: :crossrc: :getholy: = :grouphug:

Agreed.

Put it appears that we disagree on Church. That same Bible says that Jesus founded only One Church… and only one Church today qualifies. It is full of sinners as Scripture said it would be, but it is still the only Church not founded by a man or a woman or even a dissident cleric.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.