Wrong to enjoy oneself?

Is it wrong to go out with some friends for a beer?

Not going to get hammered, I just mean a few, laughing, joking, having a good time. Or is that wrong?

No, it’s not wrong. :slight_smile:

If you’ll recall, Jesus himself had a good time with friends on more than one occasion. He even turned water into wine as his first miracle so that a celebration could continue. As long as you just want to enjoy each others’ company, (not get hammered or try to pick up women for impure purposes) there is no harm in having a drink or few with friends. :thumbsup:

The great directors of souls have all said that we need times of re-creation or leisure to renew our spirits and our bodies. As long as your choice of recreation isn’t an occasion of sin or near occasion of sin for you, it is just fine. :yup:

Why even the question? GOD made wine for man to enjoy. Noah messed it up. Priest drink wine at the celebration and commeration (techinically it is the represenatation of his sacrifirce as a living memorial) of our Lord’s death and resurrection. Hey wine makes the soul happy… drink responsibly… mummmblllle.

You can read Chestorton’s quote about beer at:
chesterton.org/acs/merchandise.htm

Just scroll down to the beer mugs. I don’t drink (alcohol) so I don’t know much about drinking but if your intent is to drink until you start to lose control of you senses then this would be venialy sinful (wrong). If your intent is to get drunk and lose control of your senses then this would be a grave sin (gravely wrong). Here’s an answer that might help:
forums.catholic.com/showthread.php?t=71374

Priest drink wine at the celebration and commeration (techinically it is the represenatation of his sacrifirce as a living memorial) of our Lord’s death and resurrection.

Priests drink Christ’s Blood under the appearance of wine after Consecration, they do not drink wine. Only the accidents of bread and wine remain. Once consecrated, the bread and wine become Christ Body, Blood, Soul and Divinity.
ewtn.com/faith/teachings/eucha4.htm
ewtn.com/faith/teachings/eucha3.htm

[quote=Magicsilence]Is it wrong to go out with some friends for a beer?

Not going to get hammered, I just mean a few, laughing, joking, having a good time. Or is that wrong?
[/quote]

Of course not, enjoy yourself 1

Trick

In many cities in the U.S. we have “Theology on Tap”, where Catholics along with priests go out to a local pub for a drink in the evenings. I can assure you that drinking in moderation is a gift and a blessing, not a vice.

:blessyou:

Here’s a couple of articles from Catholic Answers that may help you out:

catholic.com/thisrock/2000/0009fea1.asp
catholic.com/thisrock/1999/9907clas.asp

[quote=Magicsilence]Is it wrong to go out with some friends for a beer?

[/quote]

Only if it’s English beer.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.