Wrong Vocation

Is it possible for a person to pick the wrong vocation in life? Priest, married? If one did not pray about it.

[quote=dizzy_dave]Is it possible for a person to pick the wrong vocation in life? Priest, married? If one did not pray about it.
[/quote]

Yes, it may be. If one enters a vocation with little prayer beforehand. Or if one sought to do ONE’S will ONLY. If that’s the case: then a person will be miserable in religious life or a similar vocation, or if one enters marriage wihout really being called to that: the marriage could work out with lots of suffering etc. Vice Versa.

I’d say no, but only because I don’t tend to think of vocation as “right vs. wrong” but more in light of the more general concept of “listening, hearing, and cooperating with God’s will”.

I can get married or I may be ordained, both are within God’s permissive will for my free will.

I try to think of that more basic “cooperating with God’s will” as being lived out in vocation rather than vocation being a thing in itself. God’s will however depends very much on where, when, etc.

For instance… we all have a common vocation to start with…
“we are all called to be great saints, don’t miss the opportunity” -Mother Angelica

Well that is a vocation we are all called to at all times. We each need to ask God how we should live that out and seek to know and obey his will.

However for a person who is now married… Then God is now calling them to be faithful. Their current and “right” vocation is fidelity to their marital sacrament.
If a priest is ordained, he CAN NOT be unordained. From this I know that even if God were not leading that person down that path and regardless if they were ignoring his will. The moment that man is ordained God meets him there he is at and from that moment on God calls that man to faithful fidelity to his vocation.

So it’s better to say that by ignoring god’s will we will have more difficulties in life.

How many people really are destined to marry one person in all the earth? I think this is a romanticised idea of marrage that can lead to later years of saying… “I’m not in love with them anymore… maby we arn’t men’t to be together…”. I say to that BUNK!. If you’re married you’re ment to be together weather you like it or not, :-).

If you’re married your called to it now, if you’re ordained you’re called to it now. If you got into that situation by ignoring God’s will it doesn’t change that fact that God meets us where we are and…

ok… I’m rambling…

[quote=matthias] If you’re married your called to it now, if you’re ordained you’re called to it now. If you got into that situation by ignoring God’s will it doesn’t change that fact that God meets us where we are and…

[/quote]

. . . and if you are in a state of life living under vows or promises, however wrong you may feel you were in making those vows, you may be confident that you will be given the grace of state to live the life to which you are now committed.

I am happily married, I was only curious because back then as I’m sure many people did, I didn’t take my faith seriously then, so therefore I didn’t pray about my vocation, I just did what most people did, grew up and got married, I’m glad I did, I have a great wife and great kids.

What about if you are in a vocation, like marriage, and then looking back thinking, “maybe I should’ve become a priest?” I know a man struggling with this. He knows he didn’t think/ pray it through enough before being married. What is the proper course of action for him now?

[quote=cathyt]What about if you are in a vocation, like marriage, and then looking back thinking, “maybe I should’ve become a priest?” I know a man struggling with this. He knows he didn’t think/ pray it through enough before being married. What is the proper course of action for him now?
[/quote]

The proper course of action is for him to seek grace from God our Lord to live with perfection the life to which God has permitted him io profess Solemn Vows. The “struggle” he is now entertaining is a temptation.

[quote=mercygate]The proper course of action is for him to seek grace from God our Lord to live with perfection the life to which God has permitted him io profess Solemn Vows. The “struggle” he is now entertaining is a temptation.
[/quote]

That makes perfect sense and seems so obvious! Funny how we don’t see the obvious in our own lives sometimes. Its good to have people to share the faith with.

[quote=mercygate]The proper course of action is for him to seek grace from God our Lord to live with perfection the life to which God has permitted him io profess Solemn Vows. The “struggle” he is now entertaining is a temptation.
[/quote]

Indeed. He may also be confusing his call to holiness with a call to the priesthood. The bottom line is that marriage vows are tougher to live than priestly vows, but both can be a path to Heaven.

:blessyou:

Yes and No. When you become a priest, it is Gods will and there is no mistake in that. Now, if you don’t listen to God’s will to become a priest, and you don’t even go to seminary, then you could have a wrong vocation. A great priest said that every young man should go to seminary to find out their true calling, not personal wants.

[quote=cathyt]What about if you are in a vocation, like marriage, and then looking back thinking, “maybe I should’ve become a priest?” I know a man struggling with this. He knows he didn’t think/ pray it through enough before being married. What is the proper course of action for him now?
[/quote]

Maybe his call is not to the priesthood but to the diaconate. I can’t tell you how many men in my husband’s class felt the call to serve the Church but also felt an attraction to marriage. Many either entered seminary or religious orders because at the time (before the restoration of the diaconate) the only way for a man to serve the Church was to be a priest or join a religious order. My husband checked out the high school seminary but felt an attraction to women so he did not enter. Being a deacon allows himto be married but also serve the Church.

[/quote]

I had a priest friend once tell me that those who do not follow their vocational calling/desire and choose otherwise never feel quite right in their chosen vocations. Taking this priest’s view, there must be alot of married and avowed religious feeling unwhole/amiss in their chosen vocations. To whatever extent that this may be actual, I am wondering, is this a consequence of personal “temptation” or a consequence of going against something that God constitutionally planted in that person’s createdness.

I know I am yeeeears too late for this post, but I am in a spiritual crisis. I suspect my husband chose the wrong vocation. I believe he regrets not entering the priesthood. We need prayers to help us the live the vocations that God has called us to. This is a terrible struggle.[BIBLEDRB][/BIBLEDRB]

This thread will probably be closed very soon, but I want you to know that I will pray for you. It is a great struggle, but I believe God works with whatever wrong decisions we make. Many people have done more damaging things than messing up their vocations and God always works things out. What is important is for you both to live out your vows. In doing so God will provide the healing and peace you need.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.