Wuthering Heights.... Song and Novel

I recently heard this beautiful song… Although it’s originally by Kate Bush(and truth be told, she created a real classic and deserves all the credit), it was this particular cover version sung by a beautiful New Zealand singer, Hayley Westenra that really enamoured and touched me, it’s from her 2002 debut Album “Pure” and she was only Sixteen when she recorded it:
youtube.com/watch?v=gUuWv36OCzM

I didn’t realise why till much later on.

I decided to find out what the song was all about by engaging in Emily Bronte’s utterly classic novel thinking I was reading it for the first time. Iironically I had actually read years earlier and totally forgotten that I’d read it before till I remembered what the tragic ending was! It was like rediscovering a lost treasure from my earlier reading years…

After hearing that beautiful musical interpretation of that famous scene, it woke something deep in my soul that over the years I had forgotten was actually there. A love for good romance and a good Ghostly or Spiritual tale in one and the same story.

How could I have forgotten that I ever read such a beautifully haunting novel with eloquent themes?

If you’ve never read it before, I’m going to spoil the Third Chapter for you, as it was the inspiration for this song… Cathy is in fact a Ghost, haunting Heathcliff from what can only be described as her own personal Purgatory(wandering on the cold isolated Moors), as her soul struggles to find forgiveness from having tormented her true love and played with his feelings. She bangs on the window, hoping he will forgive her and let her soul “in from the cold”. It brings a tear to my eye just writing about it and thinking about how beautiful the song and the novel that inspired it are…

I love the book and the song. Thanks for bringing it to mind. It’s about time I re-read it…

I enjoyed checking out the video! Ms. Westenra has a lovely voice. Pat Benatar has a version as well, and some strong vocal training. If you like Kate Bush her duet with Peter Gabriel on Don’t Give Up is wonderful.

Thanks for that OP - I’ve just spent 2 hours listening to 70s and 80’s music on youtube!:D:thumbsup:

Ha! Me too. I’m working my way through Billy Joel now. :slight_smile:

So …How are we going to argue that this is contributing to our Catholic formation?
I know… those videos get awfully tempting…I thought I was getting off lightly quitting after three!

To me the idea of a “personalised pugatory”, one where the soul waits/wanders in darkness and cold, until whatever sins it committed on earth against others are totally forgiven, was a really touching deep spiritual theme to the novel(and the song).

If you’ve ever read the 3rd chapter, it reveals some fundamental religious questions lie at the heart of this tragic romance. That particular Chapter, which is truly the heart of the book, meditates on Sin and then Unforgiveness, and it’s effects on those around us both now and after we have passed on.

I suspect it was written originally as a short Ghost story, that was later expanded and adapted by the author into a full novel.

Kate Bush’s version of the song is definitely the best - she looks and sounds like the ghostly Cathy wailing for Heathcliff! She is my favourite artist by far, so creative.

Tabhairt

You might to skip his song Only the Good Die Young.

Petshop Boys - It’s a sin youtube.com/watch?v=y7I5UaB7mx4&feature=related

watch for: Confiteor Deo omnipotenti vobis fratres, quia peccavi nimis cogitatione,
verbo, opere et omissione, mea culpa, mea culpa, mea maxima culpa

It’s been a long time since I read the book. You’ve inspired me to put it on my summer reading list. I’m going to have to give up youtube for a bit though- I started out with the pet shop boys post and before I knew it it was on to Bananarama and the Pointer Sisters.
The Kate Bush version of the song remains my favorite- I think because Kate had the inspiration to start it- but I give big props to the others for recognizing and celebrating genius!

Love Kate Bush!

Just DVR’ed “Wuthering Heights,” the British tv production with Tom Hardy, off PBS’ “Masterpiece Theatre.” Looking forward to checking it out with my teen daughter! :slight_smile:

It’s been a long, long, long time since I read the book, but, boy, it was so terrific! (Even did a term paper on it in high school!) It’s chock full of symbolism, and time/character parallelism, which I love. Even Charlotte was astonished by the wild passions that her sister wrote about in the book.

But please, everybody, check out the classic 1939 version with Laurence Olivier and Merle Oberon. It’s the best, Jerry, the best!

:popcorn:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.