WWJD? And the decision is

Here’s an interesting notion to contemplate.

As we go through our daily lives we make lots of decisions… some good, some bad, some in-between…

Suppose you’re posed with a tough one…

From a Catholic standpoint how does one know you made the right decision?

Or is there no “knowing”, but just a non-judgemental belief system in which many options are always possible… So, whatever choices we make in life, as long as they aren’t blatantly and obviously sinful… Everything is pretty much okay… ?

As saint Paul said in 1cor.14. Desire spiritual gifts and that you may prophecy. (What the Holy spirit has shown you)
Or as James 1;4. If you lack wisdom ask God who gives liberally and completely.

Here’s the thing—we know the difference between “right and wrong”, meaning “moral and immoral”.

However, we don’t always know in each and every situation the wisest or most prudent things to do. You can do something moral (among several valid moral choices) in a situation but not have it be wise.
For instance, somebody in your life is commiting mortal sin and they tell you about it.
You can jump in and say “that’s a mortal sin”. (You haven’t done anything immoral, and in fact, we are supposed to correct the sinner, but that approach and those word choices are prolly not the most wise).

This reminds me of a meme that’s in the CAF meme thread, something like, “What would Jesus do? He wouldn’t have gotten himself in this situation in the first place.”

3 Likes

WWJD is a meaningless exercise. There are enough examples of WDJD (What DID Jesus Do?).

Claiming to not always knowing “the wisest or most prudent thing to do”, to me seems a bit of a cop out, like throwing up our hands and saying “Oh well, there is nothing I can do about it”.

In your example of somebody in your life committing mortal sin, and that we could simply jump in and say “that’s a mortal sin”, WWJD does not measure to WDJD, and we only need to look so far as Christ’s gospel teaching about picking the log out of our own eye before worrying about the splinter in someone else’s

Rejoice!

1 Like

WWJD?

Well, He just might throw down some scripture! :grinning:

Romans 8

“We know that all things work for good for those who love God, who are called according to his purpose.”

2 Likes

on_the_hill. Took me forever to find it.

7 Likes

:smile:

1 Like

Will this decision hinder me or others as we journey to heaven?

Does it pass the Phillipians test? Finally, brothers, whatever is true, whatever is honorable, whatever is just, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is gracious, if there is any excellence and if there is anything worthy of praise, think about these things.

1 Like
DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.