WWYD (What Would You Do?)

Hi All:

Today, my Baptist Father In-law (who belongs to a church that the Pastor preaches on UNTRUTHS about our faith) **asked **what is the Mass???****.

Although it wasn’t a question asked to me (I wasn’t there), but my mom, I still would like to be able to follow through with an exceptional answer… I am ready to give him Scott Hahns Book - The Lambs Supper which is steeped in biblical passages!

What would you do? What would you say to give witness to our awesome faith?

Please advise!

Yours in Christ,

MGeising

[quote=MGEISING]Hi All:

Today, my Baptist Father In-law (who belongs to a church that the Pastor preaches on UNTRUTHS about our faith) **asked **what is the Mass???****.

Although it wasn’t a question asked to me (I wasn’t there), but my mom, I still would like to be able to follow through with an exceptional answer… **I am ready to give him Scott Hahns Book - The Lambs Supper **which is steeped in biblical passages!

Please advise!

Yours in Christ,

MGeising
[/quote]

You might also give him the “Mass Appeal” Booklet by Jimmy Akin (from Catholic Answers), and perhaps print out the “Christ in the Eucharist” tract from catholic.com to serve as a bookmark for the two books. :smiley:

Don’t pass up a great opportunity like this!

Another suggestion:

http://images.amazon.com/images/P/0879739428.01.PIdp-schmooS,TopRight,7,-26_PE20_SCMZZZZZZZ.jpg

The Mass of the Early Christians

contains a synopsis and readers’ reviews.

Peace in Christ…Salmon

[quote=MGEISING]Hi All:

Although it wasn’t a question asked to me (I wasn’t there), but my mom, I still would like to be able to follow through with an exceptional answer… **I am ready to give him Scott Hahns Book - The Lambs Supper **which is steeped in biblical passages!

Please advise!

Yours in Christ,

MGeising
[/quote]

The books cited above are great. I have read Scott Hahn’s book, and found it very enlightning.

However, offering up books and such to family members and friends has never worked for me. They usually aren’t interested in reading a whole bunch of books.

So when I am asked this question, about the mass, I usually just start the discussion by saying “the mass is heaven on earth”.

Then I take it from there.

I would explain to him, if you have a real understanding of the nature of the Mass, about Christs perpetual sacrifice. I would point to Malachi 1:11 . Of course Baptists want scripture. In this passage God is explaining that a pure sacrifice (Christs sacrifice) will be offered “from the rising of the sun to it’s setting”. Insence will be used. The only thing that fits this description is the Mass.

Joshua

[quote=Salmon]Another suggestion:

http://images.amazon.com/images/P/0879739428.01.PIdp-schmooS,TopRight,7,-26_PE20_SCMZZZZZZZ.jpg

The Mass of the Early Christians

contains a synopsis and readers’ reviews.

Peace in Christ…Salmon

Salmon, I agree wholeheartedly! The book, Mass of the Early Christians helped restore my faith that we are the true faith…one flock…one shephard!
[/quote]

[quote=MGEISING]Hi All:

MGeising
[/quote]

Why don’t you simply start by explaining some basics? The Mass is uniquely Catholic form of Worship; it is a combination of praising God, confessing our sins, praying for the needs of the entire Church as well as personal needs, hearing the Word of God, Profession of Faith, tything and lastly (and mostly) it is Sacramentally participating in the Lords Supper which(when validly consecrated) is a participation in the eternal sacrifice of the very body and blood of our Lord Jesus Christ. You do not get any closer to Christ than that on this side of eternity. It is the form of worship that has existed since the very early days of Christianity and it is the fulfillment of Christs radical prophecy: “Unless you eat my flesh and drink my blood you have no life in you” John 6:53
The Mass is big part of the “fullness of faith” in Jesus Christ. Then if you want to discuss Scripture and stuff that is fine. I personally found “The Lambs Supper” somewhat difficult the first time I read it, but I may not have been ready. I would check some of the stuff on the Catholic Answers homepage also. Why not invite him to go to Mass - any day of the week - just like the Apostles in Acts who devoted themselves to “daily prayer… and the breaking of the bread”…

Dont forget to Pray about this first and seek gods guidance,

Phil

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.