X Box

Hi all,

My brother is going to give me his XBox today. I'm not sure I want to expose my kids to it at all.

Anyone have any opinions or suggestion on this? Also, does anyone have ways in which to control their kids time on gaming?

Cheers,
Ut

Is it an X-Box 360, or the original X-Box? Regardless, the system itself can be a fine thing, but there are many games that aren't. Every game has a rating, like movies do, that will be printed on the box. You'll probably want to stay away from M (Mature) games. Depending on how old the kids are, T (Teen) may or may not be appropriate, as well.

Just be vigilant about what games they bring home, and there should be no problem having such a video game system in the house.

Sam, the Neon Orange Knight

How old are your kids? I love my xbox but I use it for streaming movies and tv mostly. I can’t remember the last time we actually played a game on it. The xbox has parental controls for you to control the game rating, time, ect. if you’re worried.

Thanks for the responses.

Its an older XBox. The one before the 360. My brother upgraded to the new one so he’s handing down the old one to me with his older games.

My kids are 4, 2, and 0.7.

God bless,
Ut

It might be a little over the head of a child of 2, admittedly. Maybe 4, too. Give it a year or so, find some kid-friendly games, things should be fine.

Sam, the Neon Orange Knight

The xbox controllers would be too big even for a 4 year old I would imagine! I know on the xbox 360 we stream netflix on it so it’s not just for games. I dunno if the original xbox has this capability or not.

Don't be so quick to refuse it. Sure, there are some games that are absolute rubbish. There are also some sports games, adventure games, etc, that are brilliant, playable, and very clean-dirt cheap as well!

Your kids might be a bit too small for it...but you might like it! My ex-girlfriend and I loved to play two player simultaneous games.

We use our Xbox for family fun time. Specifically, we play Rockband-- we got the whole Spongebob soundtrack. We all have the best time, and my husband finds it kind of therapeutic. I think we use it in a positive way.

Hi there my son is nine and he has an xbox my husband has one too. The good thing about the games is like film age guidence they have games which are PG,U,15.18 etc... so you can decide which they can play and which is a huge no no. My son does not get to play any game with an age on it older than he is. Play it as a family is another suggestion we have a wii and we have the wii fit board there is so much to do and it is fun. Happy Gaming.;)

[quote="utunumsint, post:1, topic:185724"]
Hi all,

My brother is going to give me his XBox today. I'm not sure I want to expose my kids to it at all.

Anyone have any opinions or suggestion on this? Also, does anyone have ways in which to control their kids time on gaming?

Cheers,
Ut

[/quote]

Make sure you know what games your kids are playing, and it will be fine. Games, even dating back to the original x-box have a rating system to let you know what the content is like in the game. For example, E is for "everyone", M is for "Mature" and so on. So look for these lables when your kids are getting games.

One thing you might want to consider, is see if you can get downloadable games for the original x-box still. I'm not sure if Live has been disabled or not on them, if not it has something called Arcade, you can download small games to the hard drive in the x-box. Stuff like Pac Man etc, most of these games (particularly on the old system) would not conflict with faith and morals :)

If you ever have any questions about a specific title, post it here. I'm sure I'm not the only one here, but I used to be (anyway) a pretty big gamer. I should be able to help you figure out if the game is appropraite for a given age range, I'm sure others here could too.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.