X Catholic with an Amplified Bible

Just curious while attending a Catholic school sports event I was surprised by another school parent explaining, how their family no longer goes to mass because they believe they have been mislead by their Catholic faith. They said they are now just 'non- denom Christians" and they kept quoting the “Amplified Bible” as the book that help exposed all the Catholic (man made) traditions.

They sounded fairly orthodox protestant to me, but I was just wondering if anyone is familar with this bible. I was caught off guard today with all their quotes, but I need to review the issues of “faith only” and the “Eucharist”.

thanks

Is this an Amplified Bible, or perhaps a Life Application Study Bible? You could probably check out either of those from you local library.

Good luck with these folks!

forums.catholic.com/showthread.php?t=65373

Go to that thread and check out the Faith alone stuff.

I would stear you to my two treatments of it, which are in posts 45-47 (explanation and general defense) and 52-55 (Complete analysis of Romans 2-4)

As far as their Bible is concerned, I’m not sure. There is a book called “The Applied Bible Dictionary” (amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0860658465/qid=1122435638/sr=8-3/ref=sr_8_xs_ap_i3_xgl14/102-6667937-7324931?v=glance&s=books&n=507846)), but otherwise I have no idea.

From the term “Applied,” however, I get the impression that it is a Bible which isn’t really a translation so much as taking the Bible and rewriting everything in very modern ways. I know some people have done this (having Jesus talk about computers for instance). It may also be a Bible where they rephrase everything in very Protestant terms but act as if they are just writing it in a way that’s easy to understand but still accurate.

[quote=gitsch]Just curious while attending a Catholic school sports event I was surprised by another school parent explaining, how their family no longer goes to mass because they believe they have been mislead by their Catholic faith. They said they are now just 'non- denom Christians" and they kept quoting the “Amplified Bible” as the book that help exposed all the Catholic (man made) traditions.

They sounded fairly orthodox protestant to me, but I was just wondering if anyone is familar with this bible. I was caught off guard today with all their quotes, but I need to review the issues of “faith only” and the “Eucharist”.

thanks
[/quote]

The Amplified Bible is a quirky translation done by some private foundation. Its junk.

I did a Google search of the Amplified Bible and that “Jesus Is Lord” website. (If you’ve never seen this site, it’s chock full of anti-Catholic material that makes Jack Chick look like choir boy)
I’m not going to give out the url for this, because it’s so hateful, but here’s a snippet from the rant against the Aplified Bible:

It is NOT surprising to me that the Lockman Foundation’s website teaches Lordship Salvation. In the sinner’s pray at the bottom of the link I provided, it says “I am willing to turn from sin…” The Bible NEVER asks us to give up anything to receive God’s FREE gift of salvation except our unbelief. I hate the damnable heresy that tells people that can’t get saved unless they turn from sin. Show me that in the Bible! This does not give us a License to Sin, it simply means that discipleship does not affect our salvation. Jesus NEVER asked us to follow Him to be saved, ONLY to believe on Him.

What a nut. (The Lockman Foundation is who published the Amplified Bible)

Jesus never asked us to follow Him? :eek:

Wow that’s REALLY bad!

To see an Amplified Bible go here and choose it from the list: biblegateway.com/
The amplified version is just one that uses words that go above and beyond the need to make the point of the publisher. (Note I said publisher and not God ) I use the Bible once in a while. Like all Protestant Bibles, you don’t know whats true and whats been added, changed or deleted to fit the opinions of whoever is editing and publishing it.

I doubt this Bible led those lost souls away from Christ. It was more likely some fundies that got to them and just used the AB to help Satan divide Christs Church.

I’ve seen much worse version of the Bible then the AB. Try reading the Geneva 1560 version.

[quote=Malachi4U]To see an Amplified Bible go here and choose it from the list: biblegateway.com/
The amplified version is just one that uses words that go above and beyond the need to make the point of the publisher. (Note I said publisher and not God ) I use the Bible once in a while. Like all Protestant Bibles, you don’t know whats true and whats been added, changed or deleted to fit the opinions of whoever is editing and publishing it.

I doubt this Bible led those lost souls away from Christ. It was more likely some fundies that got to them and just used the AB to help Satan divide Christs Church.

I’ve seen much worse version of the Bible then the AB. Try reading the Geneva 1560 version.
[/quote]

I’ve always wanted to read the 1560 Geneva version. Is there a copy online? I’m curious about it. I love telling the KJV only advocates that the Puritans refused to use the KJV because it was a “liberal” bible sponsored by a Monarch rumoured to be a sodomite :D.

[quote=byzmelkite]I’ve always wanted to read the 1560 Geneva version. Is there a copy online? I’m curious about it. I love telling the KJV only advocates that the Puritans refused to use the KJV because it was a “liberal” bible sponsored by a Monarch rumoured to be a sodomite :D.
[/quote]

www.e-sword.net

Download the program. It’s free. GREAT program. Go to the download page. There are TONS of Bibles there, most of them free (except the modern copyrighted ones like NKJV and whatnot). The Geneva Bible is there, as is the Bishops’ Bible (and Geneva Translation Notes). You can also download tons of commentaries (most of them are Protestant, but it’s still useful), and dictionaries (English and Greek).

Right now, I have on the program:

KJV
KJV w/Apocrypah
KJV Red Letter
KJV w/ Strong’s Numbers
Literal Translation of the Holy Bible
Vulgate
Septuagint
Textus Receptus
Textus Receptus w/ Strong’s Numbers
Westcott-Hort w/ Strong’s Numbers
Darby Bible
Geneva BIble
Bishops’ Bible
Holman Christian’s Standard Bible
Hebrew Tanach
Jewish Publication Society Old Testament
Bible in Basic English
American Standard Version
Analytical-Literal Translation
Young’s Literal Translation
James Murdock New Testament
The Message
Messianic Renewed Covenant
Modern King James Version

Also, I have

Thayer’s Greek Dictionary
Strong’s Hebrew and Greek Dictionaries
KJV Dictionary
KJV Concordance
International Standard Bible Encyclopedia

and

Albert Barnes’ Commentary
Matthew Henry’s Commentary
Adam Clarke’s Commentary
Darby’s Synopsis
Geneva Translation Notes
Vine’s Word Studies (GREAT resource)
Robertson’s Word Pictures (GREAT resource)

and many other commentaries, maps, and so on.

Information about the Ampified Bible:

From the publisher (the Lockman Foundation):
lockman.gospelcom.net/amplified/

From another source:
tyndale.cam.ac.uk/Scriptures/AB.htm

Hope that helps,
+Hugo

[quote=byzmelkite]I’ve always wanted to read the 1560 Geneva version. Is there a copy online? I’m curious about it. I love telling the KJV only advocates that the Puritans refused to use the KJV because it was a “liberal” bible sponsored by a Monarch rumoured to be a sodomite :D.
[/quote]

The Geneva 1560 version is a bit hard to find online due I guess to it’s errors. Not all Bibles are inerrant and the Geneva 1560 and KJV, JST, JWV, etc… all prove it. I had one link I think but lost it in a PC crash.:mad: MS Windows and that darn monopoly and buggy software! I have the hard drive I’ve just never taken it in to get a data recovery. Back to point. Here is a link that gets the 1599 Geneva Bible and other oldies:

genevabible.org/Links.html

PS, Some of my best friends are SDA’s. I love to hear the antiCatholic retoric of the SDA’s too. I like to watch 3ABN at work. It’s so easy to prove them wrong. Wrong except for soul sleep that is. It’s easy to prove OSAS wrong but soul sleep, now that’s a challenge to prove false!

Welcome Home!

The Amplified Bible Is just a study Bible (non-Catholic) that says it offers every possible meaning of the words in any given passage, which makes it mega wordy and about as inspirational as a boot to the backside, but it does make for a decent study tool for comparison to other translations sometimes. I have a Bible and an NT on my shelf…

One thing you’ll notice if you click the link above is that I was using it to check out a very Eucharistic passage. Look it up and print it and give it to those misguided roaming Catholics and point out that they’ve been badly misled about the Church and especially the Eucharist and home is the only place they’re gonna find that. The passage is 1st Cor. 11:23-30.

Deo gratias!

A good passage indeed!

1Cor11:29 (Amplified Bible): “For any one who eats and drinks withouth discriminating and recognizing with due appreciation that [it is Christ’s] body, eats and drinks a sentence - a verdict of judgement - upon himself.”

Seems pretty clear doesn’t it? :slight_smile:

btw - ESword is fantastic software.

I have the New Testament. The best use for it, as Church Militant says, is to use it as a study tool. It’s hard to actually read it; it’s too distracting to have all those meanings. Great for checking the various meanings of words, though…

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.