X non catholic minister

I am comming into the Catholic church now, my DH was a non Catholic minister.
He has been out of church (physically) for quite some time and yet some people still see him as a minister. He was even called to do a funeral recently.
He is the type in which scripture came easily to him and was a very good preacher ( in that form).

We have always been led to helping all people. I dont know how many have stayed in our home.
People in need seem to appear out of nowhere and seek us out.

Sorry guess I started to ramble but my question is:
What happens to X ministers and how to they deal with sitting in a pew and not expounding on the scriptures?
What do they do or how to they feel about their once calling?

I would think it would be a difficult transition, to go from being in charge, to being just a person in the pews. Is he interested in perhaps becoming a Deacon? Not sure if you mean he has already converted or if he is in the process. He can participate in the Knights of Columbus once he’s all the way into the Church…But obviously, he has to stop pretending to be a minister and performing ceremonies.

I highly recommend getting in touch with the Coming Home Network. The whole reason they exist is to help people in situations just like yours. From their website:

The purpose of the Coming Home Network International (CHNetwork) is to provide fellowship, encouragement, and support to men and women who are considering becoming Catholic and those who have already come home. In particular, the Coming Home Network seeks to assist non-Catholic clergy who often face acute difficulties and struggles during their journeys.

God bless you and your husband on your spiritual journey!

You might want to look into the example of Jeff Cavins, a Catholic revert. He was an Evangelical Protestant pastor for several years before coming home to the truth of the Catholic faith. Now he is a very successful Biblical scholar who has been broadcast on EWTN and has recorded many Bible studies which have been shown in parishes across the country. My own parish has used his Great Adventure Bible series as well as the Book of James and Acts of the Apostles series. The faithful in my parish have been edified and spiritually nourished by his expert testimony and exegesis, and he often mentions his experiences of his past life when they relate to the stories of the Bible.

Now, a select few former Anglican and Lutheran ministers are ordained in the Catholic Church, and bring their wives and their families with them in conversion, and are blessed to minister in the Holy Eucharist and the other sacraments to God’s people. If this is not possible for you, I say to look to Jeff Cavins as a great example of what can be done by the laity in our Church.

Jeff Cavins, Marcus Grodi, Scott Hahn, Ken Howell, etc., etc., etc. :wink:

There are many, many former Protestant ministers who have “swam the Tiber” and managed to find some pretty productive ways to preach the Gospel. :thumbsup:

Wow, what a great resource! I didn’t realize there was a network but that’s wonderful, because we can really use these folks and their knowledge of the Bible, Scripture, etc. as well as their energy.

:thumbsup:

Ty, he is not at this point coming in. Just me but I thought he might consider and if so he would wonder about this.
I am still a bit nervous that he will change his mind about supporting me in it. I am thankful so far he has been great.

And that’s fine. Everyone goes at a different pace. You may still find it beneficial to contact the Coming Home Network for support for yourself. It looks like they have their own forum, too.

There are many people who have already followed that path from Protestant minister to Catholic layperson (I know quite a few personally). That’s not to say that it’s always easy, but there are definitely people out there who are there to help. You are not alone. And your husband would not be alone if he ever comes to the point of wanting to become Catholic.

You might also want to check out the “Surprised By Truth” book series (there are three of them) which is edited by Patrick Madrid. Those books are basically collections of conversion stories, including several stories of those who were formerly ministers.

re: your original question. I think different people will vary on how they respond to this situation.

I would like to point out that the church has substantial intellectual resources and practical endeavors with which someone can take an active leadership role. It can be very much more than pew-sitting on Sundays!

Heck, I would think a local Catholic college might have a good reading good to start with.

Thank you thats good to know!

In addition to the coming home network whose whole ministry is to help converts but more specifically clergy from other faiths:

Here are some books I have found to be helpful:

Journeys Home by Marcus Grodi

Born Fundamentalist Born Again Catholic by David Currie

Rome Sweet Home by Scott & Kimberly Hahn

Even if your friend isn’t quite ready to read these, you might take a look as each book gives good references for future reading, and addresses many issues that many Protestant/Evangelicals may have to the Roman Catholic Church.

(Great Books to have on hand for references)

Blessings on your Journey

Sr Debbie, O.S.C.

I would second the recommendation on the Coming Home Network.

As for your husband, when and if he does decide to convert…he can become a catholic deacon…catholicdeacon.org/

God will make him useful in other ways if the diaconate is not for him…he can teach RCIA, CCD, start a parish Bible study…that is when he decides to convert.

Ineed God,

My apologies, 

I missed part of the question in my first post, (actually I confess I wasn't sure what DH was :blush:   at any rate I would definitely look at the coming home site as they are specifically set up for former protestant clergy.
  Also as the previous person mentioned their are many opportunities for men/former ministers to get involved with the parish... such as Bible studies, the Diaconate and even in special cases become a priest. You might even invite your husband to your RCIA class even if he isn't interesting in converting (yet:)) just by getting to know parishioners it can go a long way to easing the transition for you. At any rate you will both be in my prayers.

Blessings from a convert, now a Catholic for 37 years

Sr Debbie, O.S.C.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.