Yale fail: Ivy leaguers sign 'petition' to repeal First Amendment

Link

Looking to understand just how controversial the debate over free speech on our college campuses really is, filmmaker and satirist Ami Horowitz recently traveled to Yale University, one of our nation’s most prestigious institutions of higher learning, to speak directly to students.

“I decided to take this campus free speech debate to its logical conclusion,” said Horowitz, who asked students if they’d sign a petition calling for an outright repeal of the First Amendment. “The result was this unbelievable display of total stupidity.”

In fact, Horowitz discovered a solid majority of the students asked willingly signed the petition, with several expressing their enthusiastic approval for his anti-First Amendment efforts.

This is why a lot of these folks are disliked among the masses. I think some folks in the academic bubble may be stunned to know how the public at large really feels about them.

Are you amazed that our children want to repeal the first amendment if this story is true?

A friend of mine went to one of those schools. The students there have a warped view of the world and all they cared about was whose parents made the most money, at least the majority. If this reporter went to a state school she’d get a different outcome.

If the story is true? Did you watch the video of people signing and thanking him for his efforts?

Its emotional hypocrisy, freedom for me but not for thee.

washingtontimes.com/news/2015/nov/18/alan-dershowitz-harvard-law-professor-slams-tyrann/

“I think the most important thing to point out is the double standard and the hypocrisy,” Mr. Dershowitz continued. “These are students who want safe spaces for themselves but not for others. They’re prepared to spit on people going out of lectures.”

He is referring to an incident at Yale University earlier this month when several attendees of a free-speech conference were spat on and called racist, the Yale Daily News reported.

“These students don’t want me to be safe,” he said. “They don’t want students who agree with me to be safe. They just want their ideas to be safe and protected from any contrary point of view.”

This is a growing problem in some areas of the country not just college campuses.

As someone likely of a similar age of the students who signed the petition, I am skeptical of the idea that certain views deserve to be expressed freely. I’m not sure that fascists or White Nationalists or whatever have anything of value to contribute besides actively damaging the position of certain groups, and it’s not as though they would tolerate my position if they were to gain political power. It’s also well and good to call for tolerance between left-liberals and right-liberals, but it’s not always feasible in every political climate.

There was recently a video of Dinesh D’Souza calling out an Amherst student on the hypocrisy of railing against “the rich” and the people who “unjustly” benefit from white privilege… yet, somehow the student was unwilling to give up his spot at Amherst in recognition of his unfair advantages. Hypocrisy abounds!

:slight_smile: You just have to read this; Mizzou U protests…

The hunger striker, who claimed he was hunger striking based, at least initially, on grad school health care costs, is the son of a man who made almost seven million dollars last year.

He grew up in a $1.3 million dollar mansion in Omaha. For reference sake, that’s a big house in Omaha. Warren Buffett, one of the five richest men in the world, lives in an Omaha house worth $500,000.

Now, merely being rich doesn’t mean you can’t advocate for social justice. But when the first platform of your demands for social justice is that the president of Mizzou should publicly denounce his white privilege, shouldn’t you also have to acknowledge and denounce the fact that you are wealthier than 99.99% of the people on earth?

Moreover, on the privilege flow chart, doesn’t being worth over $20 million rank an awful lot higher than merely being white? In other words, is there anyone out there who wouldn’t trade their race in exchange for $20 million? Because I 100% would. Black, white, asian, hispanic, green, blue, I will be any color for the rest of my life if you give me $20 million to do it.

On top of that, the “hunger striker” – I question whether he was actual hunger striking too, by the way, what evidence do we have of that? – said he was hunger striking because of increased graduate school health care costs. YOUR DAD MADE NEARLY $7 MILLION LAST YEAR, BRO. Check your privilege. Do you really think he didn’t have the money for health care?

The hunger striker has also been on campus for nearly eight years. If Mizzou was such an awful, racist place, wouldn’t you go somewhere else for grad school?

Finally, how am I the only person talking about how rich the hunger striker is? Isn’t that kind of a big detail when your hunger strike is attacking the privileges of others? You are literally one of the most privileged people in the world. Infinitely more privileged, for instance, than the man you demanded be fired from his job.

foxsports.com/college-football/outkick-the-coverage/is-the-entire-mizzou-protest-based-on-lies-111115

If students at one of our top universities can be so easily manipulated, can you imagine what is going on among the inner city high school dropouts? What is the future for Detroit, Chicago, Baltimore, and Los Angeles? How do we keep this nonsense from spreading?

It’s so ironic that those that want to limit speech never practice what they preach and quit talking themselves.

Indeed

The latitude contented for by the petition on the 1st amendment wouldn’t be possible which is the irony of this incredible ignorance. In fact we would then be talking fascist-authoritarian.

epic burn! XD

There are plenty of countries without an equivalent of the First Amendment that aren’t totalitarian police states. I really don’t think the First Amendment would prevent the US government from persecuting troublesome political groups, either.

The first amendment is more than just free speech, even though this thread has focused mostly on that aspect. It also includes the right of free assembly ( I doubt those college kids want that removed) and the right to petition the government for redress, freedom of the press ( well I’m sure they want to limit those that they disagree with), free exercise of religion and restricting the establishment of religion by government.

I can’t imagine what they are thinking that they would sign a petition to strike down the first amendment. But hey lets pass it and then make a Catholic monarchy out of the US, that would change their minds. ( I’m joking of course).

They’re really not taught to think. What they’re being taught is that they need safe zones and trigger warnings for things that they don’t like, and don’t want to hear. Their delicate sensibilities must be protected from opposing views (which they automatically write off as “HATE!!!”). It’s the fault of the parents, really.

These are your future Supreme Court justices.
Calling the left liberal is a misnomer. The left is anything but liberal.

And the future of America is moving into a very anti-liberal direction.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.