Yea for Confession

First I would to say thank you to all CAF regulars. I don’t post here that often, but I browse the threads daily. You guys have been instrumental in my journey back to the church. THANKS A BUNCH!! I have been away for a while, because of family issues. I went to confession today and I am back. I feel as if a load have been lifted off my shoulders. I am so glad we have the sacrament of reconcilation. :thumbsup:

I am looking forward to deepen my faith.

Thanks again.

:clapping: Welcome and glad to hear that some have impressed you with the importance of the sacrament.

I was in the same situation just a few weeks ago. God bless you, and welcome home (with me). Never underestimate the power and abundance of the mercy of God.

Yea for you sunnygirl !! Welcome back!

I agree, confession is AWESOME !!

:slight_smile: CM

Welcome back! :slight_smile:

I did the same thing almost 1 year ago, and felt the same way. Welcome home!

SunnyGirl,

Fantastic!! Welcome home!

That feeling you have now you’ll feel again every time you receive the sacrament, which is one reason why so many saints went weekly (or even daily!).

Keep it up! :smiley:

Felicidades SunnyGirl!
I was in the exact same place on Sat.
It was my first confession in 19 years.
Confessed it all, and left the Reconciliation Room floating on air.

I went to my first confession in about 10 years at the beginning of the year. Since then I’ve been front and centre every week and I would miss that floating-on-air feeling if I didn’t go :angel1:

Not that I’m a saint or even campaigning for sainthood by the way … :angel1:

[quote=LilyM]I went to my first confession in about 10 years at the beginning of the year. Since then I’ve been front and centre every week and I would miss that floating-on-air feeling if I didn’t go :angel1:

Not that I’m a saint or even campaigning for sainthood by the way … :angel1:
[/quote]

That’s awesome. I would go more often but my pastor says once a month is too often. I need to find an alternate confessor. I would like to go twice a month.

[quote=Tmaque]That’s awesome. I would go more often but my pastor says once a month is too often. I need to find an alternate confessor. I would like to go twice a month.
[/quote]

I wonder why he said that? Our director of religious ed told the high school kids that she makes a point of going once a week during lent. I thought that was a wonderful example for the kids.

Well, I found this parish near my house that offers confessions twice on Saturdays and three separate times on Sundays. Since I am not brave enough to confess face-to-face, I will take advantage of the variety of times. I have no excuse for missing confession. I thought by it being so early in the morning that it would be empty. Boy was I wrong. It was packed. It is such a blessing to see some many people using the sacrament. Thank you for responding.

[quote=carol marie]I wonder why he said that? Our director of religious ed told the high school kids that she makes a point of going once a week during lent. I thought that was a wonderful example for the kids.
[/quote]

My pastor is fairly liberal. He makes a point to tell you that you are not to tell him all your sins. Rather, he wants to hear “one or two things that are bothering you at the moment”. It’s not so much a confession as a counseling session. I’ve often wanted to ask him “what if I was a sociopath and killing people didn’t really bother me?”. But, he is my pastor and I pray for him. He really does mean well.

I do intend to find another priest for reconciliation, in particular because my son will have his first communion next year. I would like us to go at least monthly as a family.

[quote=sunnygirl807]Well, I found this parish near my house that offers confessions twice on Saturdays and three separate times on Sundays. Since I am not brave enough to confess face-to-face, I will take advantage of the variety of times. I have no excuse for missing confession. I thought by it being so early in the morning that it would be empty. Boy was I wrong. It was packed. It is such a blessing to see some many people using the sacrament. Thank you for responding.
[/quote]

That’s awesome! I belong to a very large parish and confessions are on Saturdays between 10:30 and 11:00. I’ve never had to wait…not once.

Welcome Home Sunny Girl!!!
Have a Blest Easter season!

I will be going to my first confession within the next few weeks in preparation for confirmation at Easter Vigil. I am both anxious and excited. I am anxious because there is a lot to confess, excited because I know that the grace given is really needed.

I had a conversation with my mother over the weekend, who is not happy with my conversion to Catholicism (she is Evangelical), and I say conversation, but really what it was, a confrontation, about confession and the error of Catholicism that places someone between you and God and his forgiveness. I of course tried to explain it to her, even pointing out the error in taking out of context the scriptures she uses to try to justify the Evangelical/Protestant position, but it only makes things worse. Both our blood pressures rise to great heights and nothing is accomplished but tension between us. I need to find a way to avoid these types of confrontations, just haven’t learned to think quickly enough to end things before they get out of hand.

Anyway, I can’t wait until I can return to this thread after my first confession with the same enthusiasm as sunnygirl807! :wink:

[quote=Jeanette L]I will be going to my first confession within the next few weeks in preparation for confirmation at Easter Vigil. I am both anxious and excited. I am anxious because there is a lot to confess, excited because I know that the grace given is really needed.

I had a conversation with my mother over the weekend, who is not happy with my conversion to Catholicism (she is Evangelical), and I say conversation, but really what it was, a confrontation, about confession and the error of Catholicism that places someone between you and God and his forgiveness. I of course tried to explain it to her, even pointing out the error in taking out of context the scriptures she uses to try to justify the Evangelical/Protestant position, but it only makes things worse. Both our blood pressures rise to great heights and nothing is accomplished but tension between us. I need to find a way to avoid these types of confrontations, just haven’t learned to think quickly enough to end things before they get out of hand.

Anyway, I can’t wait until I can return to this thread after my first confession with the same enthusiasm as sunnygirl807! :wink:
[/quote]

I admire and commend you for persisting in your growth in the faith in spite of the roadblocks and difficulties that are thrown your way. As one who has come home to the Church, I know how difficult it can be, but it is SO worth it! Keep close to Him in prayer and ask Our blessed Mother for her prayers in support of your journey home to the Sacraments and His Church. Isn’t it “awesome” to know that all the saints and angels will be celebrating with you with great big “Welcome Home” signs?!! I kind of imagine like I ran out on to the field in a gigantic stadium and Jesus was standing there with His arms open waiting for a big hug! And I look up into the stands and my entire spiritual family and all the angels and saints are screaming and cheering and doing the wave!
May God Bless you!

Hi:

You might like this article on confession:

catholicexchange.com/vm/index.asp?vm_id=2&art_id=32083

Jeff S.

[quote=jschwehm]Hi:

You might like this article on confession:

catholicexchange.com/vm/index.asp?vm_id=2&art_id=32083

Jeff S.
[/quote]

Thanks for the great article. I can relate to this man, in that I am anxious to get it done and get the graces flowing!

God Bless,
Jeanette

[quote=byHisGrace]I admire and commend you for persisting in your growth in the faith in spite of the roadblocks and difficulties that are thrown your way. As one who has come home to the Church, I know how difficult it can be, but it is SO worth it! Keep close to Him in prayer and ask Our blessed Mother for her prayers in support of your journey home to the Sacraments and His Church. Isn’t it “awesome” to know that all the saints and angels will be celebrating with you with great big “Welcome Home” signs?!! I kind of imagine like I ran out on to the field in a gigantic stadium and Jesus was standing there with His arms open waiting for a big hug! And I look up into the stands and my entire spiritual family and all the angels and saints are screaming and cheering and doing the wave!
May God Bless you!
[/quote]

Thank you for the encouragement. I know beyond a doubt I am going where God is leading. I wish I could somehow give my family (and many friends who have suddenly disappeard) the peace I feel, or I wish God would give them that peace, but we each have our own journey, I can’t see what He has in store for each of them. I am looking forward to my “Welcome Home” celebration, and although I won’t be able to see it with my mortal eyes, by faith I know it will be going on all around me!

God Bless,
Jeanette

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.