Yearly oblagation for Confession question

If we do NOT have any mortal sins in a year are we still obligated to go to confession once a year anyway (if we don’t is it a mortal sin)?
Thanks.

[quote=dizzy_dave]If we do NOT have any mortal sins in a year are we still obligated to go to confession once a year anyway (if we don’t is it a mortal sin)?
Thanks.
[/quote]

I might be wrong but I think you are mixing up the obligation to receive Communion at least once a year.

Look at the Precepts. It says that you should confess your sins at least once a year. vatican.va/archive/ENG0015/__P75.HTM
Confession is good for the soul and affords us graces and puts us in a right relationship with God.

Now there are people who don’t know what constitutes a mortal sin. I hope and I’m taking this on faith, that you do.

If someone doesn’t know, you can look up what constitutes a mortal sin in the Catechism, there are probably threads in this forum about it, and I won’t reiterate the info unless asked so as not to be smart alec.

Hope this helps and have a Grace-filled Lent.

[quote=dizzy_dave]If we do NOT have any mortal sins in a year are we still obligated to go to confession once a year anyway (if we don’t is it a mortal sin)?
Thanks.
[/quote]

You are obligated to yourself to go to confession asap after becoming aware of Mortal sin. If anyone does believe that they really can go for a full year without commiting a Mortal sin they are deceiving themselves. I think St. Paul said something like that.

[quote=Pacbox]Look at the Precepts. It says that you should confess your sins at least once a year. vatican.va/archive/ENG0015/__P75.HTM
Confession is good for the soul and affords us graces and puts us in a right relationship with God.

Now there are people who don’t know what constitutes a mortal sin. I hope and I’m taking this on faith, that you do.

If someone doesn’t know, you can look up what constitutes a mortal sin in the Catechism, there are probably threads in this forum about it, and I won’t reiterate the info unless asked so as not to be smart alec.

Hope this helps and have a Grace-filled Lent.
[/quote]

I try to go to Confession at least once a month but anyway I didn’t know there was a once a year obligation. Can you tell me where in the CCC I can find this. I’ve done a search in the CCC but can’t find it. Maybe I’m looking in the wrong place.

[quote=Br. Rich SFO]You are obligated to yourself to go to confession asap after becoming aware of Mortal sin. If anyone does believe that they really can go for a full year without commiting a Mortal sin they are deceiving themselves. I think St. Paul said something like that.
[/quote]

:yup: I could never imagine going back to that once a year thing. Although I did it before my conversions.
Dizzy Dave if you think in one full year that you have not commited one mortal sin I might suggest you take off the blinders. The devil never bothers you when he already has your soul.

This reminds me of a statement I made years ago when I was steeped in sin. As long as I make it to purgatory I’m good to go.
Boy did I ever have the blinders on.

I recently listened to a wonderful talk on sin and the priest used an illustration that goes like this.
A Jewish man trying to save his life jumped into a pile of manure. The first minutes he wanted to jump out and let them kill him. Although he found the longer he sat in the manure the less it bothered him. Till he finally got to the point that it smelled good.
It is like us with sin the first is the worst and it all goes down hill from there. Unless of course you have the grace to go to confession.

Don’t get me wrong maybe your a saint and I have missed it along the way. If you are please pray for me. The saints would even tell you how much they were tempted in one day.

The link is to the Catechism from the Vatican website. Articles 2041-2043 to be specific.

[quote=Pacbox]The link is to the Catechism from the Vatican website. Articles 2041-2043 to be specific.
[/quote]

You’re right. Thanks.

[quote=Toni]Don’t get me wrong maybe your a saint and I have missed it along the way. If you are please pray for me. The saints would even tell you how much they were tempted in one day.
[/quote]

It is a recorded fact that Mother Theresa went to confession daily because she felt that she was in a state of mortal sin.

The closer we come to the light of Christ, the more clearly we can see that stains of sin upon our soul. The further we are in darkness, the less visible those sins become. It’s like getting dressed in a dark closet compared to a brightly lite room. In the dark closet, only the most serious of stains will be visible and something even those may go unnoticed. With the lights shining, every little stain and wrinkle catches your eye.

The same with our sins. The closer we are to the light of Christ, the more clearly we see our faults and failings.

[quote=Toni]A Jewish man trying to save his life jumped into a pile of manure. The first minutes he wanted to jump out and let them kill him. Although he found the longer he sat in the manure the less it bothered him. Till he finally got to the point that it smelled good.
It is like us with sin the first is the worst and it all goes down hill from there. Unless of course you have the grace to go to confession.

[/quote]

Dont want to be all politically correct, but why is he Jewish?

O yeah and to the original poster, if you have genuinely not committed a mortal sin in a year, theres a place you might want to sign your name. Its called the Congregation for the Causes of the Saints, and its in the Vatican :slight_smile:

Confession at least once a year, and receive Communion at least once a year, during Easter time.

Good ol’ baltimore catechism.

[quote=Toni]:yup: I could never imagine going back to that once a year thing. Although I did it before my conversions.
Dizzy Dave if you think in one full year that you have not commited one mortal sin I might suggest you take off the blinders. The devil never bothers you when he already has your soul.

This reminds me of a statement I made years ago when I was steeped in sin. As long as I make it to purgatory I’m good to go.
Boy did I ever have the blinders on.

I recently listened to a wonderful talk on sin and the priest used an illustration that goes like this.
A Jewish man trying to save his life jumped into a pile of manure. The first minutes he wanted to jump out and let them kill him. Although he found the longer he sat in the manure the less it bothered him. Till he finally got to the point that it smelled good.

Don’t get me wrong maybe your a saint and I have missed it along the way. If you are please pray for me. The saints would even tell you how much they were tempted in one day.
[/quote]

I wasn’t referring to myself, I go to confession almost weekly if I have a mortal sin or not. I commit lots of venile sins (unfortunatly).

[quote=Br. Rich SFO]You are obligated to yourself to go to confession asap after becoming aware of Mortal sin. If anyone does believe that they really can go for a full year without commiting a Mortal sin they are deceiving themselves. I think St. Paul said something like that.
[/quote]

im curious to see what Paul actually said in regards to this; can you give me a verse or something so that I can check it out? Thanks!

[quote=martino]im curious to see what Paul actually said in regards to this; can you give me a verse or something so that I can check it out? Thanks!
[/quote]

I was thinking of the 1st letter of John 1:8. Not Paul.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.