Yellow/white bunting

1. The use of yellow and white bunting at the entrances to churches after the election of a pope is a common enough custom that I suspect it's actually prescribed somewhere. What document gives instruction on this practice?

2. Does this source provide guidance on whether black bunting is to be used upon the death of a pope emeritus?

[quote="Digitonomy, post:1, topic:318647"]
1. The use of yellow and white bunting at the entrances to churches after the election of a pope is a common enough custom that I suspect it's actually prescribed somewhere. What document gives instruction on this practice?

1. Does this source provide guidance on whether black bunting is to be used upon the death of a pope emeritus?

[/quote]

I find it highly unlikely that anything will address the death of a pope emeritus.

Well when our Bishop Emeritus passed away last month the basilica used black and violet on the doors of the cathedral so I'm just going to assume that it well fall on the decision of the rector of the parish.

[quote="Digitonomy, post:1, topic:318647"]

[/quote]

I highly doubt it. Contrary to popular belief, yellow and white are not "the colors of the church" or something like that. They are proper to Vatican City (and formerly to the Papal States) as a political entity.

I’ve never seen this done in the UK. I think it must be an American custom.

Also we are still in Lent and on the verge of Passiontide.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.