Yemen conflict: US 'could be implicated in war crimes'

bbc.com/news/world-middle-east-37607248

**The US government is concerned it could be implicated in potential war crimes in Yemen because of its support for a Saudi-led coalition air campaign.

Official documents obtained by Reuters news agency show government lawyers advised the US it might be considered a co-belligerent under international law.

The Obama administration has continued to authorise weapons sales to Saudi Arabia despite the warnings last year.

On Saturday, an air strike on a funeral hall in Sanaa killed some 140 people.**

The article continues at the link.

Why is Saudi Arabia hitting civilian targets?

As a U.S. citizen, my understanding of Middle Eastern religiopolitics is sharply limited. :shrug: The standard explanation, though, is that the Saudis, whose ruling elite are Wahabist Sunni, are hellbent on destroying the Houthi, who are Shia-led, and who are also seen as an extension of Iranian (Shia) power in the region. This is probably a gross oversimplification, but I think that’s basically what’s going on. And as far as the civilian casualties are concerned, Houthis are being targeted brutally and indiscriminately, whether they’re ordinary people or not. Also, considering U.S. political gossip and the fact that we’re staunch Saudi allies, it appears that it’s “Goooood Morning, Tehran!” if and when Hillary becomes President. So this front, too, could easily spillover and spread into Iran.

I think it is a war crime to target civilians.

I believe the US has committed war crimes. Many many times. So have other countries so I am not saying the US is the only one. But a war crime is a war crime. Every country has excuses for its war crimes. They are always inexcusable.

Take a job in the Middle East.

Teach English as a Second Language.

There are also oil companies. Companies that export coffee and various foods. Car companies.

Experience the culture and the history directly and see for yourself.

No need for speculation.

Nah, Turkey’s the only country in that part of the world that I’d be interested in living in, because I like Istanbul. I was just pointing out that Americans don’t have any understanding of the region unless they’re Islamic and they were born and raised there. And I’m extremely thankful I don’t fit any of the above criteria!

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.