#YesAllWomen Campaign Gains Steam on Social Media

What started as a single tweet has exploded into a powerful social media campaign fighting misogyny.

Days after a 22-year-old man with a grudge against women went on a murderous rampage in Santa Barbara, California, the hashtag #YesAllWomen is still trending on Twitter.

The campaign’s point is that while not all men are guilty of crimes to women, all women are affected by misogyny. All women have feared things men do, according to the Twitter user who launched the hashtag.

abcnews.go.com/US/yesallwomen-campaign-gains-power-social-media/story?id=23874376

Hope posting this as a different thread is alright. I know this is associated with the Santa Barbara killings, but felt it was a story in its own right.

I thought it was going to be some feminist drivel when I initially heard about it, but I started reading them, and I was kind of like, oh, yeah, I’ve clutched my keys and jogged to my car at night. I’ve had my hand on my pepper spray trigger, I’ve been afraid. I’ve crossed the street to not walk by a group of men. Nothing violent or exceptionally terrible has ever happened to me to make me this way, but it’s the nature of the world we’re in, unfortunately.

As a big athletic guy, I hardly ever think about my safety. Just Friday evening, some tipsy gal came straight up to me, said “hey you’re cute”, grabbed onto my arm, and then introduced herself, as she continued holding onto my arm. And I was just amused. I can’t imagine what would a woman might think if I did that to them. So yeah, I think it’s good for us men to hear these stories and be reminded that it’s like a whole different world for women.

My husband was a women’s studies major as an undergrad. On the first day of his first women’s studies class, the professor asked for a show of hands from those who’d feel physically unsafe walking from their classroom to the parking lot at midnight. All the women and none of the men raised their hands.

Changing expectations around women’s safety is one many reasons that #YesAllWomen is important.

I think it’s kind of absurd.

Yes women SHOULD be scared walking to their cars at night, I’m scared as well and I’m an athletic 6’1" guy! Not just women get mugged by groups of men at night. My main problem with the Yes All Women campaign is that it stereotypes males into this violent, sex-driven group that is a threat to women’s safety. Newsflash, not all men are looking to rape a woman or mug them! For example, one tweet I saw:

#YesAllWomen, because men still think it’s acceptable to beat women who refuse to give them sex”

You can’t say that that tweet doesn’t kind of hint towards all men acting in that way, when in fact it is the extreme minority of men that would beat a woman. And honestly girls, if you’re that scared of it, stop sitting around on Twitter complaining and go take some self defense classes! Go buy a gun or taser! It’s much better than trying to put down all men on social media.

Sorry brother IMHO you are way off-base here.

How so? You don’t see many of the tweets as stereotyping men? I do.

" @efeign: Because men consistently tell me I should be “flattered” by any and all advances made by them. #yesallwomen"

@kakekinsella: women should not have to follow a certain dress code because it may “distract the men” why not teach the men to respect. #YesAllWomen

^ Just pulled these off twitter. Do they not hint at stereotyping all men?

You don’t get it.

I’m just not worried about it.

The cause of the campaign is much more serious of a concern than that.

It’s funny that you take exception with stereotyping men but then you turn around and stereotype women, condescendingly calling us girls who do nothing but sit around on Twitter.

Picture yourself as a woman. You are walking to your car after work or school and you encounter a group of raucous men walking together. You have to make a judgement call. You either walk by them or you find another route to your car. Now chances are, they could be harmless. But what if you are wrong. What if they’re not. A lapse in judgement could cause you your life. This is what hangs in the balance. If you judge them to be potentially harmful and you are wrong, what is the end result?

If you judge them to be harmless and you are wrong, you could lose your life.

It’s not like the bad guys go around with signs on their forehead saying “bad guy”. In the meantime it pays to be cautious.

First, I’m not stereotyping that all women are sitting around on twitter. I’m stereotyping that THESE women are sitting around on twitter.

Second, I’m imagining myself as a man in that same situation and I’m just as scared. I’m not sure if you knew, but men get attacked by other men as well. Violence is violence and it happens to everyone. That’s why I’m saying it’s best to be prepared… Everyone, not just women.

You really don’t get it.

twitter.com/hashtag/YesAllWomen?src=hash

Read them for yourself.

Please explain with your infinite knowledge!

I’m sorry, but telling everyone who disagrees that they just “don’t get it” won’t advance your cause very far :thumbsup:

Not telling everyone, just you.

Read the tweets. Spend more than a couple minutes. Look for tweets from men, both those that support #YesAllWomen and those that don’t; they illustrate the problem well and give some context.

Do a search of #YesAllWomen for articles in response to this, maybe they can help shed some light. I can’t do your reading or thinking for you.

I can’t remember the exact wording of the tweet but paraphrased: "Men are afraid of getting laughed at. Women are afraid of being killed."

You mind linking for me the numerous threads on this forum about modesty and men’s clothing? Thanks.

Here are a few:
slate.com/articles/double_x/doublex/2014/05/_yesallwomen_in_the_wake_of_elliot_rodger_why_it_s_so_hard_for_men_to_recognize.html

From this one

One woman began using the hashtag on Saturday as a response to the hashtag #notallmen, which had been used to argue that men should not be universally portrayed as sexist aggressors. So yes, women on social media said over and over again, not all men are harassers, but all women have experienced such harassment.

Even as the hashtag continued to be one of the top trends on Twitter on Monday, used with more than one million postings, there was considerable backlash, with some saying it portrayed men unfairly and urging a more universal message.** The user credited with beginning the hashtag apparently shut down her account after saying that she had been repeatedly harassed online **over the weekend.

cnn.com/2014/05/27/living/california-killer-hashtag-yesallwomen/index.html?sr=fb052714yesallwomen230pstorygallphoto

My husband didn’t ‘get it’ until he spent half an hour on the feed. Then he looked ashen. “I had no idea”. #YesAllWomen

The #yesallwomen hashtag is filled with hard, true, sad and angry things. I can empathise & try to understand & know I never entirely will. (Neil Gaiman)

Free roaming big dogs scare me. Men, eh.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.