Yesterday's Feast Day of Blessed Frédéric Ozanam

Blessed Frédéric Ozanam

Celebrated on September 9th

Below is an email I received this morning from our National President , a day late . :wink:

Dear Colleague,

Today is the Feast Day of Blessed Frédéric Ozanam so I would like to take this opportunity to wish you all a happy and peaceful day.

Frédéric, of course, founded the SVP with a group of friends in 1833 and started a huge movement for social justice that now spans the world – fulfilling his wish to “embrace the whole world in a network of charity”.

Each and every member of the SVP, every volunteer and every member of staff follows in Frédéric’s footsteps and I want to thank you for all the work you do to help the poor, the lonely and the isolated.

Frédéric was beatified – made a ‘Blessed’ – by St Pope John Paul II at the Cathedral of Notre Dame de Paris in 1997. St John Paul, who had been an SVP member himself in his youth, was a huge admirer of Frédéric Ozanam.

He said: “We must thank God for this gift which He has given the Church in the person of Ozanam. We stand amazed at what he has been able to do for the Church, for society, for the poor, this student, this teacher, this father of a family. And how could it not be hoped that Ozanam also be raised to the rank of Blessed and of Saint?”

So today, let us thank God for Frédéric Ozanam and let us celebrate his life, his legacy and ourselves for continuing his work.

Yours in Blessed Frédéric and St Vincent,

1 Like
DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.