Yesterday's Oprah

Yesterday’s Oprah featured the cast of “Sex and the City”. When the cast came on stage they received a very warm welcome from Oprah and her audience. Not long into the appearance, Oprah mentioned that one of the actresses had “fallen in love with a woman” and wanted to know more about the situation.

It was proclaimed that “love is love” and it “didn’t matter if the person was a man or a woman” - the actress was in love! The crowd cheered and everyone was so happy for her. I couldn’t watch anymore and turned the channel.

I am writing about this incident because only a few weeks ago, Oprah proclaimed on t.v. that she is a Christian. I am confused - or maybe she is. I am concerned because she is obviously such an influential figure and I can’t help but wonder how many of our Catholic and Christian brothers and sisters were in that audience cheering these people on.

Another point of confusion is that Oprah is an ardent Obama supporter. We know that he supports abortion. Again, how can she call herself a Christian?

I’m so very disappointed in Oprah. She used to be such a wonderful role model, but she has really lost me as a supporter. Her recent stunt with this “New Life” garbage just disgusts me.

I’ve canceled my magazine subscription (though they keep sending the darn thing :rolleyes: ) and I’ve not watched her show in months.

~Liza

I’ve never been a huge fan of Oprah, but at least her shows used to be somewhat interesting. Now, anytime I even watch two minutes of it, I’m disgusted and disappointed.

I think “Christian” can mean pretty much anything today, honestly, especially among celebrities. Many people have this mentality that, “As long as I’m a ‘good’ person (aka. giving money to charities, not outrightly murdering someone - abortion doesn’t count for them, and supporting good causes such as global warming and PETA) then I’m a Christian.”

It’s not just in your living rooms anymore. It’s in your churches. Our parish invited a nun for “A Discussion on Oprah and Eckhart Tolle.” It was a “chance to dialogue about how the Catholic spirituality interfaces with Tolle.” I promise that I am not making that up.

I could not attend, and I naively hoped that the nun would kindly but soundly thrash Tolle’s new take on the old heresy of Gnosticism and the empty, Christ-less “techniques” of Eastern Mysticism. No such luck. One parishioner passionately explained to me that his wife went to be reinforced that Tolle was A-O.K., and that it is good because it “gets you interested in spirituality.” A Ouija board will get you interested in spirituality too, but I don’t recommend it.

I looked up this nun and saw that she belongs to an interfaith center that embraces virtually everything under the sun, including monotheism, polytheism, and personality-less forces.

Many people claim to be Christian if they simply acknowledge that Christ existed and presented moral teachings useful for humans. By that standard, the Devil is a Christian. Oprah has more money than most countries, but she seems to be a lost soul. She is deserving of pity and of our prayers – especially our prayers because as she wanders lost in the wilderness, she’s taking a lot of people with her. There are even people who are serious about their Catholic faith, who subscribe to CAF, who are being seduced by Tolle, as will be evident in the posts of defenders of Tolle who will probably blast me for criticizing him.

For a long time, Oprah has not been a good role model. She encourages celebrity worship and all sorts of liberal causes. She is not a Christian. Look her up on youtube- you will find videos where she denies the divinity of Jesus! She heavily promoted the Da Vinci Code. I could go on forever with her heresies.

As for the actress on Sex and the city- it’s very sad that she left her husband, with whom she had 2 kids, for a woman. How do her children feel? And how distraught is her ex-husband? “love is love” is ****- the actress broke her wedding vows for a perversion!

Additionally, Sex and the City isn’t even a positive show! I’m guilty, I got incredibly hooked, bought all 6 seasons on DVD. But, it’s just wrong! Now that I’m growing in Christ, I don’t want to watch SATC, even the “cleaned up” ones on syndication. I won’t watch the movie, either.

There are churches accepted by the Catholic Church as “Christian” that would agree with everything said on that show. (Seen the ads for the United Methodist Church using the slogan, “Open Hearts, Open Minds?” There is one actually showing a gay couple going to church.) A Christian believes in the Trinity and that Jesus is the Son of God and the Christ who sacrificed himself for our sins. A lot of the rest seems to be negotiable among the different denominations.

Not sayin’ it’s right… but if the Catholic Church would still call those people Christians, then they can call themselves that, I suppose.

She also had a show on that “man” who is having a baby and all but put “him” on a pedastal. The same “love is love is love” message was spotlighted.

She has been so wealthy and in charge of herself for so long that she thinks she can re-define things and be right.

:frowning:

Yes, those would seem to be things that one must believe to legitimately call oneself a Christian. To relegate Jesus to something less than the Paschal Sacrifice necessary for our salvation is to be something less (or other) than Christian. If Tolle does, in fact, teach that Jesus is uniquely the Christ, that he is uniquely the Way the Truth, and the Life, and that noone comes to the Father but through His Son, Jesus, that would be wonderful thing for someone on CAF to share.

If, on the other hand, Tolle teaches that each of us can be Jesus’ equal if we simply self actualize or “awaken”, then that should be shared:
“Yes, you are the Truth. If you look for it elsewhere, you will be deceived every time. The very Being that you are is Truth. Jesus tried to convey that when he said, ‘I am the way and the truth and the life.’. . . Jesus speaks of the innermost I Am, the essence identity of every man and woman, every life-form, in fact. He speaks of the life that you are.” (Eckhart Tolle, A New Earth, p. 71).

In other words, if you eat Tolle’s apple, “Your eyes will be opened, and you will be like God.” (Genesis 3:5).

And since I’ve quoted from it, what DOES Tolle think of the Bible? Well, he just knows that it include fabrications.:
"[F]irst I picked up a copy of the New Testament almost by accident, maybe half a year, a year after it happened, and reading the words of Jesus and feeling the essence and power behind those words. And I immediately understood at a deeper level the meaning of those words. I knew intuitively with absolute certainty that certain statements attributed to Jesus were added later, because they did not “emanate” from that place, that state of consciousness, because I knew that place, I know that place. But when a statement emanates from that place, there is recognition. And when it does not, no matter how clever or intelligent it may sound it lacks that essence and it does not have that power. In other words, it does not emanate from the stillness. So that was an incredible realization, just reading and understanding ‘beyond mind’ the deeper meaning of those words." (From an interview with Tolle in the book Dialogues With Emerging Spiritual Teachers, John W. Parker).

What even needs to be said about that?

The Catholics who are “deepening their spirituality” with Oprah and Tolle are probably actually taking their first steps away from the Church. It is a shame that many Catholics think that there are not exciting mystics and saints who have written books that are faithful. Maybe some Catholics see the banal liturgy of the day, the wasteland in their own churches, and assume that this represents all of Catholicism. If you are tempted to embrace Tolle, please, first look to Theresa of Avila, John of the Cross, Thomas Merton (excepting his latter work), Therese Martin, and many, many more. The Catholic Church is rich in its mysticism and spirituality. You don’t have to look outside to get it.

And no, I don’t think that there are churches that call themselves Christian that subscribe to these beliefs that deny Jesus’ divinity by elevating us to his level, and deny the inerrancy of Scripture.

Uh, I hate to be so terribly shallow, but which of the actresses was it: :o

I will be curious to see what types of questions Oprah asks Tom Cruise about scientology when he comes on. I hope she asks about Xenu,body thetans along with questions about documented cases of people dying because Scientology told them not to take their medication.

It’s Cynthia Nixon.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.