Yom Kippur and Confession

A liberal Jew at work recently made the claim that Catholics took the idea of confession from them, based on Yom Kippur and the day before Yom Kippur where Jews seek atonement from each other. I have absolutely no problem believing that any Catholic teaching was influenced or even taken directly from the Jews, because salvation os from the Jews, but I would like to know just how truthful this claim is. Anybody–Jews or Catholics–have an insight or knowledge? I am very interested in learning more about Orthodox Judaism and how we can form better relationships, especially since I may one day be a Catholic priest.

[quote=BlueMit11]A liberal Jew at work recently made the claim that Catholics took the idea of confession from them, based on Yom Kippur and the day before Yom Kippur where Jews seek atonement from each other. I have absolutely no problem believing that any Catholic teaching was influenced or even taken directly from the Jews, because salvation os from the Jews, but I would like to know just how truthful this claim is. Anybody–Jews or Catholics–have an insight or knowledge? I am very interested in learning more about Orthodox Judaism and how we can form better relationships, especially since I may one day be a Catholic priest.
[/quote]

We confess our sins because that’s what was commanded by Jesus in: John 20:21-23 & James 5:16 among others, see this Catholic Answers tract for a more in depth understanding.

I recently posted the following on another forum, in response to Confession, and the Biblical foundation of it, not to mention “Christ” foundation of it as well. But I would agree, that Yom Kippur was a foreshadowing of this to come;

***THE Hebrew Scriptures
The flesh that hath touched any unclean thing, shall not be eaten: but shall be burnt with fire. He that is clean shall eat of it. If any one that is defiled shall eat of the flesh of the sacrifice of peace offerings, which is offered to the Lord, he shall be cut off from his people.(Leviticus 7:19-20 DRB)

And that you may have knowledge to discern between holy and unholy, between unclean and clean (Leviticus 10:10 DRB)

And the priests the sons of Levi shall come, whom the Lord thy God hath chosen to minister to him, and to bless in his name, and that by their word every matter should be decided, and whatsoever is clean or unclean should be judged. (Deuteronomy 21:5 DRB)

It is important to understand what “Clean and Unclean” mean!, it means “Holy” and “Unholy”, a physical representation of a Spiritual Truth. In Leviticus, the Priests were given the power to judge one “Clean” and “Unclean”, which inturn dictated whether or not they were outside of Israel and inturn outside of God, because God had chosen a People for Himself and outside of Israel there was no Salvation (not yet).

Fast forward to the Gospels
Matthew 8:3-4 KJVA
(3) And Jesus put forth his hand, and touched him, saying, I will; be thou clean. And immediately his leprosy was cleansed.
(4) And Jesus saith unto him, See thou tell no man; but go thy way, shew thyself to the priest, and offer the gift that Moses commanded, for a testimony unto them.

Notice Jesus sends the now Clean leper to the Priest to show himself to him. The Levites were the choosen priests of the OT, under the Law, the Priests had the power to deem one clean or unclean by the Laws set in Leviticus, thus allowing those they deemed Clean back into the communion with Israel. Of course Jesus could have just said, hey, you are Clean, go and be merry, but Jesus followed the Law perfectly, that is why He sent the cured leper to the Priest.

Now in the New Covenant, Christ gave the Apostles the ability to Bind and Loose, (see the connection) and the Apostles are the start of the New Priesthood, after all,Christ is the High Priest is He not? If Christ is the High Priest, then the Apostles are His Priests, and the new Priesthood.

John 13:5 KJVA
(5) After that he poureth water into a bason, and began to wash the disciples’ feet, and to wipe them with the towel wherewith he was girded.

By the washing of the feet of his Apostles, Christ instituded the Priesthood, and this Priesthood has been given the Power Loosen our sins and leave them behind on this earth, so that we can enter into full Comunion with Christ in His eternal Kingdom. Now the question you have to ask yourself, did Jesus give the Apostles the ability to read minds, because if He did not how would the Apostles know to forgive sins, if no one confessed them? And it is of the upmost importance to go to confession before receiving our Lord in the Eucharist, because Jesus is our offering to God, and if we eat His flesh and drink His blood, we will have eternal life, but if we receive Him unworthily, we bring eternal damnation 1Cor11:29 and Lev7:19*

**[font=Arial]Hope this helps…

Joao
[/font]

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.