Yom Kippur – Should we all maybe better go to confession?

Next week is Yom Kippur; that’s a day when everyone (Jewish) confesses to God. It’s a day that God specifically designed for confession, and this is the crucial point of my question. The question is, even though the Church doesn’t say that we sin if we don’t confess that day, don’t we miss out on an opportunity that God himself creates on that day so that we can get closer to him?
I happened to see our Priest yesterday and I asked him and he said that we didn’t have to go to confession on Yom Kippur as this was a Jewish day and not a Catholic one, but to my next question as to how he could be sure that God didn’t want all of us to confess that day even though the Torah says so he didn’t have an answer but only shook his head.

Never hurts to go to confession!

You’re certainly free to go to Confession on that day. You’ll still receive the Sacramental Graces. But it’s not required. We aren’t bound by the Jewish calendar. Otherwise, Saturday would be our Sabbath. Our Liturgical year begins the first Sunday of Advent, not Rosh Hashanah.

Lent (and to a lesser extent, Advent) is our period of atonement as Christians. The color of the season is violet, and the ashes imposed on Ash Wednesday help us to remember that the time for repentance has come again. Indeed, as others have said, it is good to make Confession at any time of the year, and every Friday of the year has a special penitential character, during which many Catholics abstain from meat or do other works of penance.

The confession by Catholics is by means of the sacrament, not according to Jewish confession, and I think you should probably listen to your priest. Jews likewise can atone for their sins ANY day of the year, in addition to Yom Kippur and on the Sabbath. Yom Kippur, however, is set aside as a special day of penance, a fast day, a day of prayer and reflection, one in which man strives to be like the angels and focuses only on the spiritual self, not physical needs.

“How he could be sure” is because the Church tells us so. The Church, through Peter, was given the authority.

As stated above, Lent is the special time of repentance for Catholics. The Church only requires that we partake of the Sacrament of Penance once a year during Lent though it is highly encouraged to partake of it on a more regular basis.

If it’s any help, G-d doesn’t require Jews to go to confession on Yom Kippur either. :smiley:

We follow the New Testament covenant, not the Old. You are a Christian, not a Jew, we don’t assume their Holy Days and they don’t take ours on, either. We already have our penitential season. Wish your Jewish friends a happy Yom Kippur and go to confession when YOU need to, not because of a Jewish holiday.

:shrug:

Statements like this always confuse me since both are supposedly serving the same G-d.

[quote="504Katrin, post:1, topic:298842"]
Next week is Yom Kippur; that’s a day when everyone (Jewish) confesses to God. It’s a day that God specifically designed for confession, and this is the crucial point of my question. The question is, even though the Church doesn’t say that we sin if we don’t confess that day, don’t we miss out on an opportunity that God himself creates on that day so that we can get closer to him?
I happened to see our Priest yesterday and I asked him and he said that we didn’t have to go to confession on Yom Kippur as this was a Jewish day and not a Catholic one, but to my next question as to how he could be sure that God didn’t want all of us to confess that day even though the Torah says so he didn’t have an answer but only shook his head.

[/quote]

The Torah makes no mention of a specific day of confession to commemorate the day of atonement, that is a practice which sprung up on the authority of the Jewish Leadership. The Torah only notes the day of atonement as the day that God accepted the contrition of the jews for having sinned with the golden calf.

In other words, the command to celebrate Yom Kippur is based on the authority of the Jewish Leadership over the jews... but we answer instead to the magisterial authority of the church, which has issued NO such compulsion upon Catholics.

this post offends.

thanks to everyone else for your comments, but I feel as if noone really understands me

I know it hasn’t, but Jesus never changed that holy day. And also, the Torah mentions that "On the tenth day of the seventh month you must deny yourselves and not do any work whether native-born or an alien living among you because on this day atonement will be made for you, to cleanse you. Then, before the Lord, you will be clean from all your sins. " So you pretty much have a date that is meant for confession and repentance. God also goes on saying that this day is supposed to be celebrated forever, like, "a lasting ordinance ".

So this is why I’m wondering if this might still be a day we should seek to repent and do confession, you know what I mean?

If it was the a day we should still seek to repent and go to confession, don’t you think Jesus would have made sure the apostles knew about it?

I understand, but where did God himself say or Jesus for that matter, that we should repent during Lent? On the other hand we have God that himself said that we should repent on Yom Kippur! If you have to chose between something that St. Peter said and something that God himself said would you not do what God said?

Thanks for your feedback. Yes, I go to confession once a month, and I’m trying to get an app for Tuesday night next week.
Jesus stuck to the law of the Sabbath. Yes, he siad that the Sabbath was for the people and not vice versa but herein lies the very confirmation that we are to observe the Sabbath. Otherwise he would have said that we weren’t to observe it.

We still are supposed to observe the Sabbath. I asked several Priests and everyone said that we should observe the Sabbath “As well as we can” meaning that if we need to drive to church we can do that :blush: but we’re to dedicate our time to God on the Sabbath and to Jesus on Sundays if we want to do it right.

Yom Kippur is a special day of repentance that God himself creat Wed for this very purpose and so I believe it’s similar to the Sabbath which is a day and time where God offers us to completely not only connect with Him but unite with Him and if we miss out on celebrating that day accordingly we miss out on the unity with God. Which would be a disaster.

Actually, the Sabbath is on Saturday.

That’s a good question.

You are creating a false dilemma and this comes perilously close to Judaizing. I think you should pay heed to Meltzerboy’s points on this topic, he is a poster I generally have a very high regard for and I think his points on this matter are very cogent. Also your points about us been able to drive to Mass if ‘we must’ are not particularly relevant to us. We are not bound by Jewish law regarding driving vehicles on the Sabbath. Mind you as a Jewish workmate of mine once put the number of Volvos parked a ten minute or so walk from the synagogue in his (and my local area) on the Sabbath tended to be statistically rather improbable!

Yes, it is. The Sabbath is on a Saturday and the day we’re to dedicate to God and Sunday is the day we should dedicate to Jesus, according to the Priests I asked.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.