You are forced to believe things that cannot be defended by Scripture

This post was taken from a thread on “Could Mary have Sinned”

Fortunately we have the Teaching of the Apostles to shed light!
:thumbsup:

This is a slanderous accusation against Catholicsim, ja4. Catholics are not “forced” to believe anything. In fact, no one can “force” someone into faith. The Church teaches what was handed down to us from the Apostles. Everyone is free to reject apostolic teaching, just as you have.

Since we have the Divine Deposit of Faith in such a manner that is not limited to the written part, it is not burdensome to defend our faith.

Originally Posted by justasking4
I would hate to be in your shoes in having to defend all these various doctrines your church teaches. Your load is far heavier than mine in that you are forced to believe things that cannot be defended by Scripture…LIKE THE CANON OF SCRIPTURE!!!

:rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:

SIGNHAHAHAHA:rotfl: [/SIGN]

I would suggest that Ja4 open a thread and make an airtight case for Sola Scriptura from the Word of God. Then we’ll see who has the heavier burden when it comes to defending their beliefs.

The fact is that SS, as the cornerstone of all other n-C doctrine is a fundamental error that cannot be defended without much twisting of scripture and theological and mental gymnastics.

I can and will defend any belief of the Catholic Church from both the Word of God and the ECF and the 2,000 years of teachings of the the Church.

It may involve more sources, but it is nothing compared to the indefensible error of Sola Scriptura, and once that fundamental cornerstone fails then virtually all other n-C new winds of doctrine will also fail. :shrug:

Justasking4,

Rather, we pray on your behalf for God’s Mercy. It is you who will have much to answer for, being that the Truth is presented to you many many times.

What will you say when Christ asks you at your Judgment, “Why did you not believe Me, when I told you, ‘He who hears you hears Me’?”

We are grateful for His Mercy in all things.

Justasking4 does this on all the threads, don’t worry about it.

Catholics have seen that the texts which said one thing to the Church Fathers, holy biblical scholars and all Christendom for fifteen centuries, say something entirely different to the Protestant reader. The explanation lies in false Protestant oral tradition. Not only unacknowledged, but even unsuspected by those indoctrinated with it, this collection of denials and repudiations is the source and bearer of those beliefs which are distinctly Protestant. It prevents Protestants from seeing and/or believing what the Bible really says. One of the dogmas this hidden tradition imparts is that the Protestant believes the Bible, the whole Bible, and nothing but the Bible.

Why should Justasking4 be comdemned at judgment for defending Scripture?

shrug?

justasking4 is not “defending scripture”. He is leveling calumny against Catholics. He is hostile to Catholic Teachings, and rejects the authority appointed by Jesus. Jesus told the Apostles, “he who rejects you, rejects me”. This is what he will answer for at the judgement.

you are forced to believe things that cannot be defended by Scripture.

Hi

I am an Ahmadi peaceful Muslim.

I think here the Catholics and Protestants are locked in the discussion.

Just suggesting to resolve it amicably. To me, the Scriptures are First, the Acts firmly established by Jesus in implementation of the Scriptures are the Second, and the verbal Tradition committed to writing very later should be the Third source of guidance. This is just a food for thought.

[5:45] Surely, We sent down the Torah wherein was guidance and light. By it did the Prophets, who were obedient to US, judge for the Jews, as did the godly people and those learned in the Law, because they were required to preserve the Book of Allah, and because they were guardians over it. Therefore fear not men but fear ME; and barter not My signs for a paltry price. And whoso judges not by that which Allah has sent down, these it is who are the disbelievers.

[5:46] And therein We prescribed for them: Life for life, and eye for eye, nose for nose, ear for ear, and tooth for tooth, and for other injuries equitable retaliation. And whoso waives the right thereto, it shall be an expiation for his own sins; and whoso judges not by what Allah has sent down, these it is who are wrongdoers.

[5:47] And We caused Jesus, son of Mary, to follow in their footsteps, fulfilling that which was revealed before him in the Torah; and We gave him the Gospel which contained guidance and light, fulfilling that which was revealed before him in the Torah; and a guidance and an admonition for the God-fearing.

**[5:48] And let the people of the Gospel judge according to what Allah has revealed therein, and whoso judges not by what Allah has revealed, these it is who are the transgressors. **

[5:49] And We have revealed unto thee the Book comprising the truth and fulfilling that which was revealed before it in the Book, and as a guardian over it. Judge, therefore, between them by what Allah has revealed, and follow not their evil desires, turning away from the truth which has come to thee. For each of you We prescribed a clear spiritual Law and a manifest way in secular matters. And if Allah had enforced His will, He would have made you all one people, but He wishes to try you by that which He has given you. Vie then with one another in doing good works. To Allah shall you all return; then He will inform you of that wherein you differed;

[5:50] And that thou shouldst judge between them by that which Allah has revealed and follow not their evil desires and be on thy guard against them, lest they involve thee in trouble on account of a part of what Allah has revealed to thee. But if they turn away, then know that Allah intends to punish them for some of their sins. And indeed a large number of men are disobedient.

www3.alislam.org/showChapter.jsp?ch=5&verse=40

Thanks

Jesus gave Catholics authority? Where does it say that?

He gave it to the Apostles and since the Apostles were the first Catholics… Its simple history. Something Protestants are completely disconnected from.

Here are a few examples from Sacred Scripture:

Authority to forgive sins:
Jn 20:23
Mt 18:18

Authority to speak with Christ’s voice:
Lk 10:16

Authority to Discipline:
Mt 18:17

Lastly, the great commission where he delegates His power to His Disciples:
Mt 28:18-20

Matt 28:18-20
18 And Jesus came and said to them, “All authority in heaven and on earth has been given to me. 19 Go therefore and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, 20 teaching them to observe all that I have commanded you; and lo, I am with you always, to the close of the age.”

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.