"You are going to be [insert religious vocation here]"

Has anyone ever approached you and said, “You would make a good priest/nun/brother, etc.” while you are considering a vocation? Do you consider this sometimes as a sign from God? I read somewhere on a website for vocations that God uses other people to speak with us. I think that having someone say that is probably a sign from above, but I want to know other’s opinions on it.

Yes. I have had an embarrassing number of people say something similar. I think that it may or may not be God using them, but I will continue my discernment process and trust in my priest to guide me toward God’s will. I tend to think of it in a different way: people are so accustomed to lackadaisical and cafeteria Catholics that when they see someone struggling for holiness they just naturally assume that God wants that person to be a religious or a priest.

How many times has it happened to you?

[quote="CatholicZ09, post:1, topic:243253"]
Has anyone ever approached you and said, "You would make a good priest/nun/brother, etc." while you are considering a vocation? Do you consider this sometimes as a sign from God? I read somewhere on a website for vocations that God uses other people to speak with us. I think that having someone say that is probably a sign from above, but I want to know other's opinions on it.

[/quote]

Randomly one of my coworkers (upon hearing I dated) said in surprise: I thought you were going to be a nun!

I'd never mentioned to her that the Sisterhood appeals to me. She only knew that I'd become Catholic. I don't know... I have no idea if it was God's way of affirming my wonderings but it was a little weird.

[quote="FidesSpesCarita, post:2, topic:243253"]
Yes. I have had an embarrassing number of people say something similar. I think that it may or may not be God using them, but I will continue my discernment process and trust in my priest to guide me toward God's will. I tend to think of it in a different way: people are so accustomed to lackadaisical and cafeteria Catholics that when they see someone struggling for holiness they just naturally assume that God wants that person to be a religious or a priest.

How many times has it happened to you?

[/quote]

Too many to count...I'm not suprised if there is not one person in the parish that hasn't said it.

I'm only in high school but it's been said to me several times by my mother & the last parish priest we had.
I'm not sure, maybe someday I will decide to become a nun :p

I've had many, many people come up to me and say that I would make a wonderful priest, some because they say "You're such a good person", but mostly because they say that I am so devout while serving Mass on weekdays. I always am not too sure what to say to them, other than "Thank you." It's a flattering sentiment that they think me worthy enough to be a good priest, but at the moment I don't feel called. I really think that you truly need to be devout and attentive when you serve Mass - it's a more intimate and special role in the liturgy than simply sitting in the pews (not to say that's inferior or anything). I'm almost 19, and I can't count the number of times I've heard people say this to me. I've been praying that God will help me find my vocation in life, because I am utterly at a loss right now, but I don't know that the priesthood is for me. Right now, I'm much more inclined towards marriage and children, or else bachelorhood (is that a word?).

[quote="FidesSpesCarita, post:2, topic:243253"]
I tend to think of it in a different way: people are so accustomed to lackadaisical and cafeteria Catholics that when they see someone struggling for holiness they just naturally assume that God wants that person to be a religious or a priest.

[/quote]

My thoughts exactly...I think this inclination to label people as potential religious stems from that accustomed perspective. A sad phenomenon, but there you have it. Devotion seems to have become the exception in many places, instead of the rule.

I have had more than one person tell me that I would make a great Deacon. However, since I just came into the Church recently, that sort of thing is a long ways off for me. I am considering the idea in the back of my mind and, if I am able with the help of God, to continue progressing in my own holiness, it is something I would consider several years down the road from now.

I've had it happen a couple of times. One time it was a priest behind me in the line for confession saying I should go and become a nun. Another time, it was a friend at Youth Group saying I'd make a great nun. And our temporary Youth Minister is joining the seminary in the fall. I'm so happy for him, and I can tell already that he's going to be great for my vocation!

Yes i actually had this embarrising moment when a few of my friends and i were hanging out watching a romantic movie and we were talking about the cute guys on the movie and about getting married and stuff, well my friend that is a catholic knew about my discerning to become a nun and she said out loud, “well hey Phoenix doesn’t have to worry about boys, or about getting married” and then one of my other friends that is a protestant who didnt know was confused because she didnt know anything about nuns. and then i just had to tell her that it was an inside joke!
yes that was quite embarrising! :blush:

My sister used to joke that I was going to become a nun.
I'd forgotten about that until I read this topic.
I think it's good if people look at you and see the qualities of that vocation in you.
That could be a sign I guess, if you choose to take it that way.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.