You Can't Bank Here

A British bank has barred a Christian evangelical group from holding an account because of its stance against homosexuality, the BBC reported Friday.

The Co-operative Bank asked Christian Voice to close the account it had held for three years, saying the group’s opinions were incompatible with its support for diversity.

"… However a spokesman for the bank stressed the decision was based purely on the issue of diversity and not on the grounds of religion.

It has come to the bank’s attention that Christian Voice is engaged in discriminatory pronouncements based on the grounds of sexual orientation, the spokesman said.

This public stance is incompatible with the position of the Co-operative Bank, which publicly supports diversity and dignity in all its forms for our staff, customers and other stakeholders…"

feeds.bignewsnetwork.com/?sid=36b1404989d4cf79

want diversity? how about some terrorists’ accounts, some serial killers’ and gays’

Bull.

What they call “diversity” is actually a religion, which has changed the meaning of the word from “diversity” to “according to our religiously held beliefs and agenda.” It is precisely about religion. Maybe they think if they knock the Christians around a bit, maybe they will go petition God to change His teachings on gays?

The idea that homosexuality promotes diversity is the biggest lie I’ve heard in years.

There is no diversity in gay relationships. Often I think gays are just guys who would rather hang around with guys to avoid having to deal with the diversity of a male-female relationship. Gays who stick to their own sex for partners could be too chicken or unable or scared to form a meaningful relationship with somebody different than themselves.

Based on diversity, we would disallows gays from running a household, because how can we trust an institution to male-only leadership? Where are the feminists on this point?

Alan

[quote=AlanFromWichita]Bull.

What they call “diversity” is actually a religion,
[/quote]

The speech from the bank again piqued my puckish sense of the “absurd” – I mean isn’t it in Big Brother that we hear doublespeak? It was such a convoluted speechifying as Mark Twain would describe it, that I couldn’t help but laugh – talk about whimpering and simpering your way through a public statement. Like some coy maiden from Victorian times…

It supports diversity by only doing business with those customers who agree with its view.

You can’t make this stuff up!

Yep! And spot the flaw in the crime, Watson.

Like, Christian Voice (an organisation btw with which I do not agree.) has been banking with these guys for THREE (3) years! In all that time CV has never had a low profile. They have held to the same views since before the day they gave this bank their business.

And how much money (btw) has the bank made out of CV. Are they going to give CV all the income they have received from them, all the interest they have earned for themselves by taking 3/4 days to ‘clear’ monies that are electronically transferred instantaneously?

Hypocrisy. Cant. Weasel words.

Many other Christian organisations use the Co-Op bank. Lets hope they all decide to pull their accounts.

[quote=Cockney Clive]Yep! And spot the flaw in the crime, Watson.

Like, Christian Voice (an organisation btw with which I do not agree.) has been banking with these guys for THREE (3) years! In all that time CV has never had a low profile. They have held to the same views since before the day they gave this bank their business.

And how much money (btw) has the bank made out of CV. Are they going to give CV all the income they have received from them, all the interest they have earned for themselves by taking 3/4 days to ‘clear’ monies that are electronically transferred instantaneously?

Hypocrisy. Cant. Weasel words.

Many other Christian organisations use the Co-Op bank. Lets hope they all decide to pull their accounts.
[/quote]

One wonders what they do for a policy with those dealing drugs? Who robbed their elderly relatives? Is everyone submitted to the same “moral ruler”?

The leaders of Britain’s two Christian political parties have joined forces to condemn the Co-operative Bank for its decision to terminate banking facilities for the Christian Voice campaigning group because of its views about homosexuality.
Cllr Alan Craig, leader of the Christian Peoples Alliance, and Rev George Hargreaves, leader of Operation Christian Vote, said in a joint statement that orthodox Christian views are now under attack like never before: "Politically correct ‘diversity’ is a cover for intolerance and Christophobia that borders on sheer bigotry.

If you don’t agree with their views, you are excluded and punished. That is the ugly position the Co-op bank has taken. Leaders of all faiths in the UK should condemn the bank and call on their adherents to boycott the Co-op. After all, once the bank has finished with the evangelical Christian Voice organisation, logic insists that the Co-op must go after orthodox Catholics, Jews and Muslims next, as they also consider homosexuality sinful and disordered - unless, like the perennial playground bully, the Co-op only picks on small organisations."

thegoodnews.co.uk/regionnewsstory.asp?id=739&region=reg0

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.