You can't get into heaven without repentance

Yes or no: you can’t get into heaven without repentance. Right?

technically, this isn’t a simple yes or no question because it depends upon whom we are tlaking about.

baptized infants who die certainly get into heaven.

For adults faith and baptism is required.
Faith brings about repentance and faith only comes through prevenient grace (grace that precedes the act of faith).

so that repentance is a response to God’s grace through faith already working to bring about your salvation.

WRONG

** Matthew 19:16-17 **

Now someone approached him and said, “Teacher, what good must I do to gain eternal life?”

He answered him, “Why do you ask me about the good? There is only One who is good. If you wish to enter into life, keep the commandments.”

Don’t let any anti-Catholic tell you you’re misinterpreting what this says.

I’m not saying repentance is never needed. I’m saying that in this case a man was told his way to heaven was by keeping the commandments.

adnauseum: Repentance certainly is necessary! This is the teaching of the Church, not only Protestants. How can you obey the commandments without repenting of your sins? To repent means to experience sorrow for one’s sins and to turn your life around. By turning it around, you begin to obey the commandments.

As well, without repenting of one’s sins you can NOT be forgiven of them. This is the clear teaching of the Church. We often refer to repentance as ‘contrition’ in Catholicism. If one goes to confession and is not repentent of the sins one is confessing, the sacrament is null and void. Plain and simple.

Remember what Jesus preached: "Repent!"
Scripture makes it clear that it is necessary to repent of your sins to achieve eternal salvation. That is what God calls us to. That is the first step (well second, after believing). See Matt. 3:2, Matt. 4:17, Matt. 11:20, Matt. 21:32, Mk 1:15, Lk 13:1, Lk 13:3, Lk 13:5, Lk 15:7, Lk 16, Acts 2:38, Acts 3:19, Acts 8:22, Acts 26:20, Rev. 2:5, Rev. 2:16, Rev. 2:21, Rev. 2:22, Rev. 3:3 and 19, Rev. 9:20, Rev. 9:21, Rev. 16:9, Rev. 16:11.

Baptism, like confession, is also null and void if the person has not repented of his (or her) sins prior to receiving the sacrament. (This, of course, does not apply to children who have no need to repent). Peter declared, in Acts 2:38: “Repent and be baptized…”

See CCC#:
1432-1433
821-822

[quote=twf]adnauseum: Repentance certainly is necessary! This is the teaching of the Church, not only Protestants.
[/quote]

You are right. I don’t know what I was thinking. Sorry about that.

Of course you can’t. Unforgiven sin is a blot upon the soul, a stain that has not been removed, and nothing stained can enter heaven. True forgiveness requires that the person asking for it truly repents of his sin, and promises to sin no more. Unforgiven sins thus effectively binds the soul from ever approaching the presence of God.

Gerry :slight_smile:

adnasueum,

there’s a lot more to salvation than the one single verse you quoted.
In my response I was referring to Mark 16:16 “Whoever believes and is baptized will be saved, but whoever does not believe will be condemned.”

Before repentance, there must be faith. Before faith, there must be grace. Before good works, there must be faith(even if it is implicit faith) and grace.

The long and short of it is, you can’t get to Heaven without God’s grace.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.