You can't serve God and mammon?

What does that scripture verse mean? For example, would it be wrong to print coupons for my mother partly out a desire to earn points for gifts cards from the website I print them from, and partly out a desire to do what she asked of me and to help her save money? If it's not, then can you please explain why that isn't contradicting Scripture?

As long as your desire doesn't feel like a 'need', then you're fine.

[quote="LoveGod102, post:1, topic:322673"]
What does that scripture verse mean? For example, would it be wrong to print coupons for my mother partly out a desire to earn points for gifts cards from the website I print them from, and partly out a desire to do what she asked of me and to help her save money? If it's not, then can you please explain why that isn't contradicting Scripture?

[/quote]

That verse is really about love of one to the exclusion of the other. You cannot serve God if you also have love of wealth. Mammon isn't so much about money, but rather an inordinate attachment to wealth. When one loves wealth to the exclusion of all else they begin to deify it. Just as you cannot serve God and Baal, you cannot serve God and wealth personified.

[/quote]

You cannot worship money, and put it before God. Using coupons is being a good steward of resources. :)

What does that scripture verse mean?

[/quote]

Read the passage surrounding this verse....Mt 6:19 - 34 and I believe you will gain greater understanding.

The passage is talking about one's attitude...where they put their trust...where their "treasure lies"....how they look at things. Do we place God first in our hearts and our lives or don't we...God or mammon (something else).

Don't turn this into some sort of narrowly defined rule or OT style "law" but look at it more fully and in the light of the great Laws of Love (Mt 22:36-40)

For example, would it be wrong to print coupons for my mother partly out a desire to earn points for gifts cards from the website I print them from, and partly out a desire to do what she asked of me and to help her save money? If it's not, then can you please explain why that isn't contradicting Scripture?

I don't see this as being particularly related to the mammon aspect...However it is related to what your attitude is.
If you did not get something out of this...would you still print out the coupons for your mom?

The answer to this will give you insight as to whether you are doing this for selfish reasons and your mom's benefit is secondary - or if the opposite is true - your mom benefiting is primary and your benefit is secondary.

Using coupons and so forth are not "serving mammon" so long as it does not become disordered. Using coupons and such is simply utilizing God's gifts to us in the best way possible. Being smart, being frugal, in money matters can allow one to give more generously to charity for instance.

However - stuffing your house with more than you can ever use just because you got the stuff with coupons is disordered....
On the other had if you are a "coupon queen" and give away all of the extras (to family friends and food pantries etc) that is an entirely different mindset....And mindset is what Jesus is talking about.

Jesus is talking about where our heart lies....

Sorry if the above is a bit disjointed....Too early:sleep:.....not enough coffee...:coffeeread:

Peace
James

God speaks about using money wisely so if we are doing that it is not necessarily a bad thing, and when done in an ethical manner a very good thing.

I'd like to bring up an example which hit me one day and effects most homes in our country. That of consumer debt and giving to the church. Most people have a fair amount of consumer debt, yet give little to the church. If we were to line it up, most would have a far larger amount going to credit card companies and car dealers than goes to the church each month. Christ tells us where our money is, there is where our heart lies.

Now most people do not give a large amount to church regardless of debt, but many cannot because their nice car or full closets. For those, I would submit we need to look at whether their love of money is short changing their relationship with the church.

So, back to your situation. Clipping coupons to gain more value is not a problem. Buying the product on a credit card if you don't have the cash might not be the wisest course of action.

PAX

Of course you can serve G0d and the mammom.
Right now I'm trying to find a job that is better paid in order to afford my religious education and that of others, in order to be able to give more to the community, in order to donate more money, and so on.... it's all for G0d.

[quote="504Katrin, post:7, topic:322673"]
Of course you can serve G0d and the mammom.
Right now I'm trying to find a job that is better paid in order to afford my religious education and that of others, in order to be able to give more to the community, in order to donate more money, and so on.... it's all for G0d.

[/quote]

This is NOT serving God and Mammon. It is serving God through the proper use of mammon....There is a very large difference.

Peace
James

Mammon is Aramaic for money and property.

[quote="JRKH, post:8, topic:322673"]
This is NOT serving God and Mammon. It is serving God through the proper use of mammon....There is a very large difference.

Peace
James

[/quote]

mmhhh... I think you're right. Agreed!

[quote="GreatergoodGod, post:9, topic:322673"]
Mammon is Aramaic for money and property.

[/quote]

it's also yiddish :)

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.