You didn't make it, up the creek or just as great?

Okay, time to give this a shot, I’m just rolling this off the top of my bulbous cranium, but this seems the best place to ask this, and it’s something I have wanted an answer for, but not been a religious person I never really ever find a forum for questions I have, my question is this…

Why, and this can be applied to all religions I would assume, why are some scriptures left out of the holy books but still deemed equal to the good book of the faith[s], surely they’d be in the main book if they are in fact the de-facto word of god, or his closest?..

I look forward to hearing [Reading] your replies…

First post. I did search but came out with not a lot, sorry if it’s done to death.

it’s a hard question to answer from all faiths… I think the basic question is:

How do you know the books you include are inspired and the ones you exclude are not inspired?

also: are the ones you leave out of any value to you?

This is not my expertise I’m afraid…It all depends on who you ask… a Catholic will have one set of books… protestants another… the reasons for their decisions are often historical and not though about much today.

Who’s got some spare time to give some help?

Two new posters! hello to you both :slight_smile:

THX1138… that movie is awwwwesome… way better than starwars lol…but one rung below JG Ballard and Philip K **** lol… I may have to PM you about Science fiction lol

sorry I got over excited there :slight_smile:

for me, I trust the church…I know this isn;t the way that you wnat the thread to go…some concrete answers are needed to explain to agnostics…

It’s important to think of the bible not as one book, but as lots of little books… there is some movement in what in included over time.

a place to start is maybe the difference between catholics and protestants on the apocrypha (a group of books they have differences over)

forums.catholic.com/showthread.php?t=131346&highlight=apocrypha

or do u wannt start earlier than that starting right from the very start of the bible?

hmmm, Philip K D… is his name… I hope nobody thought I swore then…it bleeped it out! :slight_smile: i didn;t know it could do that, ive never tested it out before!

Phillip K. Youknowwho almost convinced me, 45 years ago, that I wasn’t a fan of SF. J.G. Ballard, the same.

But I got over it.

I turn control of this thread back to you.

GKC

I believe you are referring to what us Anglicans call the apocrypha. These are books that some believe do not parallel with the rest of scripture. There are several chronological errors that can also be found in these books. We as Anglicans/Episcopalians read from these books but do not establish church teaching from them.

lol GKC I’m not knowledgeable enough to have any thread turned over to me!! lol

there’s a thread just starting about what scripture is inspired…whether or not all scripture is inspired equally and inspired writing that is not scripture…

it might help BlackAdder out if he reads through this thread too to get more angles covered

forums.catholic.com/showthread.php?t=166468&highlight=inspired+scripture

yeah theyre shoved to the back of the book lol…well they are in mine anyways…

I suppose for the OP this might imply that because theyre kept at the back and labelled as ‘seperate’ in some sense that they are not considered ‘just as great’ or equal…

is this true?

obvioulsy there are some cuts made when deciding on the bible as a whole… are the books excluded all rubbish (simple word I know…sorry) or are they equal to those included in the Bible?

to be honest… if it isn;t in the bible i haven’t read it… I turn the thread over to someone with some knowldge of history cos this is where it’s got to go for an answer

Well, I can say that the Bible we have in our (Episcopal) church includes the apocrypha and we do read from it (we follow the Gregorian calender as Catholics do) but we do not establish church teaching from it. Beyond that, I don’t know much more about it.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.