You mustn't mention God... council bans church from putting up notices about its meetings

[quote=Daily Mail]A Christian campaign group has been banned from pinning up notices about its meetings in libraries or community centres.

The activists were told their posters advertising talks about climate change could not be shown in public because they mentioned Christianity and God.

Officials declared that the flyers for a talk on ‘climate change is a Christian issue’ and and another by a spokesman for the Christian Ecology Link were in conflict with town hall policy against the promotion of religious ideas.
[/quote]

Continued here.

God Bless.

Chris.

I dont really see the harm in it, If its against the town halls policy its against the town halls policy, We live in a multi- cultural society Councils have to take a non biased view,

Yet promotion of other faiths seems okay?

God Bless.

Chris.

You have seen posters advertising different faiths on display in that council’s libraries and community centres, have you?

[quote=Daily Mail]There was also confusion among the greens that while borough officials insist they cannot lend a hand to a Christian group, it provides for inquirers details of no fewer than 13 mosques, Muslim study groups, and Islamic social groups.
[/quote]

I haven’t personally, I’m just stating from the article. I’m nowhere near London to notice.

God Bless.

Chris.

But isn’t banning such notices actually taking a biased view against such Christian organizations? Doesn’t “multi-cultural” include Christianity?

In order for a council to be truly without bias, it would either have to allow all notices or ban all notices.

Yeah, and councils do provide information on all faiths, however people cant come in and post about faith on the notice boards.

Then that demonstrates a bias.

I dont see how, if a muslim event was taking place and they wanted to put thier poster on the notice boards they would not be allowed. there is a seperate area all together in my local town hall relating to faith,

The fact that the council is equally biased against all religious affiliations shows it is biased. It discriminates between the secular and religious, banning the religious but allowing the secular. That is a bias.

Got it now?

here’s the harm in it:

Christianity is being suppressed

it’s against the law to be publicly Christian… :mad:

Why is city hall continuing to accept "tainted Christain tax money? :slight_smile:

well secular society doesn’t offend people, but religion does if there were to many Christian notifications other faiths will complain, and vice-versa this way its fair, remember we are talking about a notice board here, not the entire town hall, which i went to mine earlier out of curiosity and there were tables that had brochures and leaflets from jehovah’s witness, to the local CoS. posters advertising local mosque times etc, there was even a leaflet recruiting some new players for a churches Saturday football league.

They are not discriminating against religion at all, there are just different channels to go through.

I beg to differ. Secular society certainly offends me and a lot of other people. I find the very fact that religious groups are not allowed to put up notices offensive.

but religion does if there were to many Christian notifications other faiths will complain, and vice-versa this way its fair, remember we are talking about a notice board here, not the entire town hall, which i went to mine earlier out of curiosity and there were tables that had brochures and leaflets from jehovah’s witness, to the local CoS. posters advertising local mosque times etc, there was even a leaflet recruiting some new players for a churches Saturday football league.

So if people complain, certain notices should be taken down? If that is the case, I would like to register a complaint. I complain that the notice board has only secular notices. I therefore expect the city to take down all the secular notices.

Frankly, I don’t see what the problem is with any religious group placing a notice. Are you saying you want to limit freedom of speech and freedom of press to secular issues only?

They are not discriminating against religion at all, there are just different channels to go through.

Oh, but they are discriminating. According to my dictionary, “discriminate” means “to act toward someone or something with partiality or prejudice.” Secular notices certainly get a partiality there. Suppose I lived in your town and paid taxes there just like everybody else. Another citizen could advertise a book club on the bulletin board, but I could not advertise a Bible study. Wouldn’t that be discrimination against me? Don’t I pay the same taxes that support having a bulletin board in the first place?

As for having different channels to go through, why must my freedom of speech be limited only to certain channels when the speech of those advancing secular causes isn’t? That’s certainly discrimination!!!

I wonder if they will remove every book that references God. I wonder if they will remove those that have God*($^&&mit in them?:frowning:

Political correctness strikes again! Its the position of the cowardly, and its as bad over there as it is over here.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.