You probably don't really believe in Prayer

I hear Catholics and other Christians talking about prayer a lot, asking people to pray for them, but I doubt that most truly believe in prayer.

For example, a Catholic friend recently asked for people to pray for her because she was about to undergo surgery to cure a medical condition. I find that amazing. If she really believed in the power of prayer, why would she undergo surgery? Prayer by itself should be enough. Is the thought that God has the power to cure, but only if he has the assistance of a mortal physician? He can’t cure by himself.

On the other hand, I see Christian Scientists as true believers in prayer. They will actually receive prayer in lieu of modern medical techniques that have been proven to cure the ailments that affect us. They truly believe in the power of prayer.

You might not believe in praying, but we do. Do you know that God helps us by using others people to help us? and when we pray we also ask to follow His will?

God can also use modern medicine or the right surgeon to answer our prayers. We have science because of God, after all. He isn’t limited to using TV-style “miracles” to help us.

Have you read John, Chap. 14, verses 12-14…

“Truly, truly, I say to you, he who believes in me will also do the works that I do; and greater works than these will he do, because I go to the Father. Whatever you ask in my name, I will do it, that the Father may be glorified in the Son; if you ask anything in my name, I will do it.”

I will do it. He says I will do it. He doesn’t say anything about needing to use other humans to do it. You’re reading things into the bible that aren’t there I’m afraid.

Also check out Matthew 21:21…

"I tell you the truth, if you have faith and do not doubt, not only can you do what was done to the fig tree, but also you can say to this mountain, ‘Go, throw yourself into the sea,’ and it will be done. If you believe, you will receive whatever you ask for in prayer. "

Isnt hard to see what sect you belong to.

you are only citing the verses? what do you say about it?
If you want to discuss, bring it to another forum, I will discuss with you. This is not the right place.

Here’s a little story I’ve always liked:

A man lived in a town that was in great danger of being flooded by the storm. People were evacuating. Being a devoted Christian, he prayed to God to protect him from drowning.

Shortly after this, his neighbor drove by in a tractor and offered to give him a ride to safety. He refused saying, “The Lord will protect me.”

The water began to rise, forcing him to the second floor of his house. Another man passed him in a rowboat, and offered him a ride. Again, he refused, believing God would answer his prayer and save him.

When the water had risen so high as to force him onto the roof, rescue workers in a helicopter found him clinging to his chimney. they offered to carry him to dry land, but he told them no, for God would surely answer his prayer soon.

Not long after that, the man was standing before God, since he had drowned in the flood. He asked, “Lord, I prayed faithfully to you to protect me, and yet you let me drown. Why didn’t you answer me?”

And the Lord replied, “What do you mean? I sent you the tractor, the boat, and the helicopter, and you refused them all!”

You’re not reading the text of the bible. It says nothing of using surgeons or science. Ask and you shall receive!

Do you believe in prayer? How has it worked in your life?

Does the Bible say anything about using Computer to spread the Word of God?

That’s kind of funny actually. I like that.

I’m impressed. You talk to a few people, and extrapolate that to millions of us Catholics. GOSH WOW! Have you informed the Pope about this trailblazing reasearch?

If you have a job that pays bills or if you go the grocery store to buy food, you’re not following your own advice. Don’t you trust God to provide the things you need to live? Take your argument to it’s logical end and that’s what you get…everyone laying around asking God to do everything for them without lifting a finger for themselves.

No, there weren’t computers back when the Bible was written, but there were people back then. If God required human assistance to fulfill prayers, this could easily have been contemplated and would have been written into the passages on prayer.

I thought you said everything had to be in the Bible :rolleyes:

Do you believe that Jesus is God? Can you answer me that question?

You may not be aware that Sirach is one of the books of the bible. :yup: Protestant editions are often missing a few books. I’m not saying you are Protestant, just that the bibles you have encountered may have been lacking a few books.

Sirach 38:1 Hold the physician in honor, for he is essential to you, and God it was who established his profession.

It goes on from there. It encourages prayer, repentance, and calling the doctor.

Exactly, the whole idea of prayer is unreasonable. Nonetheless, there is ample support for it in the bible. My argument is that people of certain other faiths, for example Christian Science, have a more true understanding and belief in prayer than, for example Catholics.

Most Catholics diagnosed with cancer wouldn’t dream of praying instead of seeking medical treatment. A Christian Scientist however would believe that God is actually powerful enough to cure him, without human intervention. If you read the bible you will see that the bible provides more support in such an example for the Christian Scientist’s position.

Ok, that’s pretty obscure. How many times at mass do you recite passages from “Sirach?” Mark, Matthew and John say to ask and you shall receive. They are the big boys. When you go to mass you hear Mark, Matthew John, Peter Paul. Nobody talks about Sirach.

If Ted Williams, Pete Rose and Ty Cobb are writing about how to hit a fastball, and then someone comes along quoting Bob Uecker, you’d probably look at them the way most people would look at you after quoting Sirach.

I’ve seen no support for this misunderstanding that prayer is a lazy way to get God to wait on us hand and foot.

Prayer is not unreasonable. Sometimes the answer is just “go to the doctor” instead of a spontaneous healing. Expecting to be waited on hand and foot by your creator, that’s unreasonable!

I hope you don’t just ask for things when you pray. That’s not the point.

At your service.:wave:

The irony of your reply is that I know more about Bob Uecker than the others, but you couldn’t have known that, I’ll admit.

Oh, Sirach gets recited on the main Sunday cycle, like, oh, I’ll be generous and say twice. I, OTOH, happen to have a fondness for the book. It is a valid refutaion, however obscure. Some of the OT prophets aren’t on the cycle at all. If I must do this, I’ll dredge up something somewhat less obscure, but not as good.

1John5:13 This is the confidence which we have before Him, that, if we ask anything according to His will, He hears us.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.