You shall not covet your neighbor's wife

I’m 15 years old. I have a crush on Sandra Bullock. Sandra Bullock is married. Is this a sin?

I don’t look at her lustfully. I just think she is really pretty and I behave the same way a girl would fangirl about, I don’t know, Brad Pitt or Justin Bieber.

Also, I don’t think this is coveting because this is obviously platonic and I will never marry her or even meet her in my life whatsoever.

I have come to bring fire to the earth, and how I wish it were blazing already!
—Luke 12:49

Not unless you’re stalking her, or lusting after her.

I don’t look at her lustfully. I just think she is really pretty and I behave the same way a girl would fangirl about, I don’t know, Brad Pitt or Justin Bieber.

Such crushes and hero / heroine-worship are quite common in teenagers, and take various forms. They’re not sinful in themselves.

Also, I don’t think this is coveting because this is obviously platonic and I will never marry her or even meet her in my life whatsoever.

There you go, you just answered your own question! :thumbsup:

No, you’re fine. It’s really just natural. We all have crushes at some point or another.

But it is a good thing that you’re putting God first in your life and measuring your thoughts to his word. Keep doing that and He will always guide you.

:slight_smile:

If it is a sin… then I have no chance at all…

in the 50/early 60’s i was madly in love with Elizabeth Taylor on National Velvet…
Then Doris day… the things I could say…lol
and a Multitude followed… I don’t think its true love or true lust or what ever…
as long as you yourself don’t become obsessed… take it for what it is…
its admiration of an actor… and yes your mind may play silly games…
but I doubt Admiration would be a sin… like I said as long as you don’t become obsessed and let it take over your life.

Having a crush is not the same as coveting. You’re good. :rolleyes:

Now here is where such crushes can get sticky and sinful: When you get married and the babies are crying and your wife is tired and she is feeling unattractive and you open a magazine or turn on the TV and say, “There she is, Sandra…how lovely she is looking…”

Be prepared to get hit on the head with a TV guide. The important thing would be to follow up with a statement like, “But of course, it’s all lights and make-up, not as gorgeous as you are, my dear, in the flesh.” or “But she is a mannequin, give me a real woman like my sweet wife any day.”

I am telling you this now so that you keep your idolization in check.

I like Sandra Bullock, too. She seems quite real and does appear in public looking ****** like the rest of us. I wonder if her ex-husband idolized others as a young man.

If you’re not lusting after her, then no.

I happen to “like” Sandra Bullock also. I think she is good looking and has a good personality. Do I want to marry her or lust after her? No, she’s just a nice person, that’s it.

Sandra Bullock lookalike...

Well you would never Believe it,, but a couple of years ago,,,I had a job Servicing 

multi Story Buildings… there were two building side by side about 40 something story’s high
connected at the 20’th floor…whole floor of one building was for Maintenance purposes… it was a secured floor … there was an office on that floor and two young ladies controlled all maintenance procedures … anyway… one looked like her identical twin…amazing lookalike … i suggested she go to hollywood and be in a movie as a twin…

You are aware that she is 49 years old?

It’s only a sin if you have lustful thoughts (assuming the person you had a crush on was unmarried). However, because of the fact that Sandra Bullock is married, I would argue that it’s wrong to have a crush on her, even if it’s in a totally platonic way.

My first wife could’ve been a body double for Valerie Bertinelli. :slight_smile:

However, it was my second wife was the one that ended up doing the professional acting. :wink:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.