You will render an account for every careless word you utter

Does this exempt things you confessed? On judgment day, will I still be held accountable for every careless word I uttered even if I have asked for forgiveness. This must be VERY HUMBLING.

Confession ans forgiveness are just that.

Think who he was speaking to, they were among those who spoke falsely of being good while being inf act bad. These were those with sin who would cast stones etc…

Lying is a sin

Confessing wipes away the sin

Lying and not confessing leaves such up for judgement

When you confess your sins they are forgiven. But you still need to make an satisfaction for the damages that your sins have caused. Either on earth or in Purgatory.

(Luk 12:58 ESV) As you go with your accuser before the magistrate, make an effort to settle with him on the way, lest he drag you to the judge, and the judge hand you over to the officer, and the officer put you in prison.

(Luk 12:59 ESV) I tell you, you will never get out until you have paid the very last penny."

:o

I don’t think I would be able to remember them all?! :eek:

So we should not take the verse literally? Simply “giving an account” is making due for your sins?

Hi, I am brand new here. Why is “lest” not taken to be a conditional allowance to settle “out of court” rather than being saddled with a bill for the “full price” ?

Thank you

When you confess your sins they are forgiven. But you still need to make an satisfaction for the damages that your sins have caused. Either on earth or in Purgatory.

The best explanation or scenario that I have heard to describe this is to think of a child that breaks their neighbor’s window. The child is sorry for doing it and they apologize to the neighbor. The neighbor forgives them but the window still needs to be replaced. The parents pay for a new window but the child must “work off” the cost of the window by doing chores around the house until the debt was paid off.

Sins are forgiven (breaking the window) but we still must “work off” the restitution (remission of temporal punishment due to sin), either here on Earth or Purgatory.

Words can do damage. Has anyone said anything that hurt you? Whether it’s slandering someone, gossiping about them, spreading disrepute, this can be like a poison that affects a multitude of others, through negative chain reactions. On the flip side, the good that you do for others, when you build them up, instead of tearing them down, can create good chain reactions that can positively affect others. In the general judgment, I have heard, that we will see how the good or the bad that we did affected others, even across many generations. Those echoes of our actions will be there for everyone to see.

We can not change the bad things we have already done, but a good prayer that I have heard goes something like this - Lord please turn all my past mistakes into good. Jesus says, ‘Behold, I make all things new.’ God can turn something negative into something positive. If we turn to Him and place our hope in him we will not be disappointed. With God there is always hope.

Believe me, I know. Words can damage. I have been the victim and perpetrator of using language wrongly.

I agree with the other posts about confession and reparation.

You may look into indulgences to reduce temporal punishment, especially during the Year of Mercy. To clarify, indulgence does not relate to forgiveness of sin and does not involve money.

With right intentions (honoring Jesus), you might try building people up with words. In this way, you practice virtue to mitigate the temptation and perhaps make reparation for the old situations you cannot fix.

I am looking at similar practices, but honestly I need to do more research on it.

Hi!
…imagine how terrible it is for God to witness our stubbornness as we constantly give in to temptation… we are naked in His Eyes–every time we engage sin we are rejecting God’s Authority and making ourselves gods!

Maran atha!

Angel

…yet, Scriptures tell us that on that Day we will know Him as He Knows us; and we will Be as He is–I think that on that Day we will gain that Knowledge that Adam and Eve thought they were gaining…

Maran atha!

Angel

Hi!
…welcome to the forum!

…I think that there are two different issues here… Jesus, the Lamb of God, died for our sins (the settlement was made: the Just for the unjust; the Divine made into sin to rescue/ransom the sinners); this is the effect of the Cross: One dies for the many.

…still, we are creatures purchased at a price and instead of embracing the adoption (as so many do in the technical meaning of the word) and sharing in on the inheritance we continue to place ourselves above God as we chose sin rather than righteousness…

Jesus’ Sacrifice was not God’s free and clear ‘sin-as-you-please’ contract; come Judgment Day, we will answer for our acts–even our omissions!:

10 By the grace God has given me, I laid a foundation as a wise builder, and someone else is building on it. But each one should build with care. 11 For no one can lay any foundation other than the one already laid, which is Jesus Christ. 12 If anyone builds on this foundation using gold, silver, costly stones, wood, hay or straw, 13 their work will be shown for what it is, because the Day will bring it to light. It will be revealed with fire, and the fire will test the quality of each person’s work. 14 If what has been built survives, the builder will receive a reward. 15 If it is burned up, the builder will suffer loss but yet will be saved—even though only as one escaping through the flames. (1 Corinthians 3:10-15)

Maran atha!

Angel

Thank you for the welcome, jcrichton.

I understand that we are certainly NOT free to sin as we please or abuse grace by embracing what I have heard called hypergrace. This is supported in the very beginning of Romans 6.

The passage you included from 1st Corinthians 3…I have always heard that applied to the judgment seat of Christ where believers are examined to determine what awards they are to receive (to later gladly lay at the feet of Jesus).

I am not seeing the ties/support to Purgatory/penance if a person is still saved (although with little or no awards). I do not read the fire as being the purging of Purgatory itself but rather the illuminating tool used to show the value of things done in the body.

Is there another passage I can go read to help my understanding or is this an example of where my Protestant roots have hindered my connection to the original interpretations of the harder passages?

Thank you…as a confused Protestant I am conditioned to be little hung on a Sola Scriptura mindset but I am absolutely compelled to nervously wonder at the denominational mix ups and divisions that have resulted from everyone taking a different meaning from the same passage.

I do not see God this way. He already knows our inclination to sin. What was He expecting?

Hi!
…I think that if we revisit the passage we can determine that there are two distinct functions: a) the materials are burnt (purified), and b) those whose materials are consumed will themselves be burnt (purged of sin).

While there’s no specific text that can explicitly demonstrate purgation/cleansing/purifying/Purgatory, here are two passages that speak on the Communion of the Saints (mediation through prayer/act):

43 And making a gathering, he sent twelve thousand drachms of silver to Jerusalem for sacrifice to be offered for the sins of the dead, thinking well and religiously concerning the resurrection, 44 (For if he had not hoped that they that were slain should rise again, it would have seemed superfluous and vain to pray for the dead,) 45 And because he considered that they who had fallen asleep with godliness, had great grace laid up for them. 46 It is therefore a holy and wholesome thought to pray for the dead, that they may be loosed from sins. (2 Maccabees 12:43-46)

29 Otherwise what shall they do that are baptized for the dead, if the dead rise not again at all? why are they then baptized for them? (1 Corinthians 15:29)

In both of these passages we encounter an episode where Believers mediate on behalf of their dead beloved–their hope and belief is that God would have Mercy on their dead as they are purged/cleanse/purified and made ready for Heaven.

…as for your quest and roots… never forget that God makes Himself Known to us through Scriptures but He chose to Found His Church on man (St. Peter to be precise); you are Called to be in Unity with the Mystical Body of Christ; welcome Home!

Maran atha!

Angel

…I don’t follow… are you intimating that God does not know us or that He is not hurt by our constant rejection of His Authority?

Maran atha!

Angel

Thank you!
You have been kind with your time and have been very helpful. I can’t say that I am currently ready to swallow that 100% but the strength/logic of your examples has cracked the door and more research is required.

I am still amazed at how people can read the same passage and take away different things.

Your welcomed! I love studying Sacred Scriptures… it is food for the mind, heart, and Spirit! I applaud your determination and your savvy–the race is not about getting there first, but getting there in the Holy Spirit!

I am still amazed at how people can read the same passage and take away different things.

…this is due, I believe, to two factors: a) Inspiration of the Holy Spirit, and b) personal preconceptions…

Though the Holy Spirit will never Inspire an understanding that is contrary to Scriptures (God’s Revelation through the Oral/Written Word), man’s preconception/bias will conceive not only different understanding but, at times, even contradictions… what is really amazing is that man, in his finite being and understanding, would almost always chose to contort a discipline for why Scriptures *mean *what *he *states it means–in spite of overwhelming contradictive factors and in spite of Scriptures attesting to the contrary.

However, there are interpretations that are forcefully made to conform to a particular agenda (ie: there’s a claim that Sodom and Gomorrah were destroyed because their inhabitants were poor hosts); these interpretations are so palatable that even though they are not rooted in Scriptures they have been taught/passed down as the true meaning of God’s Word.

What is fully tragic is that many times these interpretations are founded on passages of Scriptures which are dissected and isolated not only from the preceding and proceeding verses but isolated also from the rest of Sacred Writings.

Maran atha!

Angel

The text you refer to is at Matthew 12:36:

“I tell you, on the day of judgment people will render an account for every careless word they speak.”

The verse is not so much describing actual events to be expected on Judgment Day as it is a comment Jesus is directing to members of the Pharisees who were opposing Jesus with vicious accusations. The verse discusses an eschatological truth but it is a figure of speech, an illustrative comparison bordering on hyperbole to make a point to Christ’s opposers at the time.

These particular Pharisees were accusing Jesus of exercising demons “by the power of Beelzebul, the prince of demons.” (Matthew 12:24) In reality, Jesus was driving demons away by means of the Holy Spirit. The accusation that Jesus was in line with the Devil was “blasphemy against the Spirit,” the type of sin that “will not be forgiven, either in this age or in the age to come.”–Matthew 12:31, 32.

The verse you are focusing on at Matthew 12:36 is part of the reply Jesus is giving these accusers regarding how their purposeful blasphemy will bring them far worse condemnation than the judgment we can expect from our careless words that have done damage to others.

Jesus’ lesson here is almost a mini parable, consisting of various illustrations from verses 33-36, meant to drive home the point Jesus utters in verse 37: “By your words you [these particular Pharisees who were blaspheming against the Spirit] will be acquitted [if they truly recognize what they have done and repent], and by your words you will be condemned [if they remain stubborn in their position].”

While, indeed, the terms are universal (meaning God judges all people by the same standards), this verse is not talking about people who turn to God and beg forgiveness for their sins, especially not by means of Christian contrition and the Sacrament of Penance. It is a specific comment Jesus is making to those individual Pharisees who were guilty of sinning against the Holy Spirit. Jesus was warning them that they were in danger of being condemned eternally for this.

What exactly is Jesus is saying in verse 36? He is telling these Pharisees that since all can expect to be held accountable to God for the damage they do with their careless speech on Judgment Day, how much more will the blasphemy of these particular Pharisees, who have used words that were not careless but said in the face of the undeniable power of God, lead to their eternal damnation?

This verse cannot actually be applied to careless speech we repent of anymore than this verse is saying that Judgment Day is a literal 24-hour period in which all careless words of the billions and billions and billions of humans who have ever lived will be gone over with a fine tooth comb and then discussed in detail before rewards and punishments will be handed out. No, it is a minor point brought forth in illustrative speech by Jesus to draw a comparison.

If you repent of your sins properly, they are forgiven. Christ is the guarantee of that. Though we can definitely learn from it in a personal way, this verse is actually about the dangers of blasphemy that was uttered by certain individuals.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.