YouCat

Has anyone had a chance to look at t his yet? I hear it's supposed to be officially presented at world youth day.

catholicinformation.aquinasandmore.com/2011/02/04/youcat-the-official-catholic-youth-catechism/

Yes, I have a copy. I haven't read it from cover to cover, but I have flipped through quite a bit of it. I like it a lot. From now on, whenever anyone asks me for a gift/book suggestion for a Catholic teenager, this is going to be my suggestion.

You can see some sample pages of it on Ignatius Press' website:

ignatius.com/Products/YOUCAT-P/youcat.aspx

Do you have any specific questions about it?

Not really. I just don't want to invest in something that could prove to be a watered down version, kwim?

[quote="BcuzISaidSo, post:3, topic:240366"]
Not really. I just don't want to invest in something that could prove to be a watered down version, kwim?

[/quote]

Sure thing. I haven't found it to be watered down. Certainly, it is much shorter than the universal Catechism; consequently, by this design, it can only give brief answers to many questions. But it is always keyed to the CCC, so the reader can go more in depth if they want to. And I haven't come across anything where I've felt they were trying to gloss over some controversial teaching.

The Pope wrote the foreword to it, so how can you go wrong? :)

I was expecting this to be about a youtube-esque page of just cat videos.

:(

[quote="Arkadin, post:5, topic:240366"]

[/quote]

U can haz teachings :)

To avoid confusion it is important to keep in mind some facts :

As stated clearly one of the publishers, claiming copyright on the book, Youcat IS NOT a document of the Catholic Church.

facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=122235791191097&set=a.103242726423737.7163.103240083090668&type=1

Despite appearances, Youcat then, is a private publishing project.

Given that this is a book aimed at young people which contains comments to Catholic doctrine, in the communication of this project there are ambiguities that question his credibility:

facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=131307950283881&set=a.103242726423737.7163.103240083090668&type=1

It seems logical that a project of this nature calls for more rigor, let us hope that those responsibles will ever realize it. What starts well ends well, and the reverse is also true.

[quote="Arkadin, post:5, topic:240366"]

[/quote]

lolcat

Youcat comes down pretty hard on a literal, 6-24hour-day creationism, much harder than the CCC, which doesn't even mention "creationism" by name:
42. Can someone accept the theory of evolution and still believe in the Creator?

Yes. Although it is a different kind of knowledge, faith is open to the findings and hypotheses of the sciences. [282-289]

Theology has no scientific competence, and natural science has no theological competence. Natural science cannot dogmatically rule out the possibility that there are purposeful processes in creation; conversely, faith cannot define specifically how these processes take place in the course of nature’s development. A Christian can accept the theory of evolution as a helpful explanatory model, provided he does not fall into the heresy of evolutionism, which views man as the random product of biological processes. EVOLUTION presupposes the existence of something that can develop. The theory says nothing about where this “something” came from. Furthermore, questions about the being, essence, dignity, mission, meaning, and wherefore of the world and man cannot be answered in biological terms. Just as “evolutionism” oversteps a boundary on the one side, so does CREATIONISM on the other. Creationists naïvely take biblical data literally (for example, to calculate the earth’s age, they cite the six days of work in Genesis 1).

Last week on EWTN's Lilfe on the Rock, Father Mark discussed the Youcat with Fr. Joseph Fessio, with many positive comments concerning this Catechism. If anyone missed it and is interested, you can view the program here: youtube.com/ewtn#p/u/18/s4dNxtxCGFs

[quote="Joe_5859, post:2, topic:240366"]
Yes, I have a copy. I haven't read it from cover to cover, but I have flipped through quite a bit of it. I like it a lot. From now on, whenever anyone asks me for a gift/book suggestion for a Catholic teenager, this is going to be my suggestion.

[/quote]

:thumbsup:
Me too. I will be buying a copy for my son, next month, for his birthday.

I got this a few weeks ago and I love it! I really like how it's not as bulky as the CCC, but still has all the same content, and I don't have to ask a Theology teacher to explain it to me.

[quote="maryjk, post:11, topic:240366"]

[/quote]

He will love it! I haven't been able to read as much as I'd like, but I could spend hours with it.

[quote="maryjk, post:11, topic:240366"]

[/quote]

What do you think of this perspective?

catholicintl.com/index.php/latest-news/570-the-vaticans-youcat-catechism-weak-on-homosexuality-contraception-euthanasia-evolution-and-scripture

We got a copy for our family; our little one is entering 3rd grade and we are both active in REC/CCD. We got it on two recommendations I read from quality writers...Elizabeth Scalia was one, forgot the other.

After perusing it, I like the format a lot. it will be a little over the head of a 3rd grader but plenty of room to grow and digest the material.

As to the catholicintl cririque, some of it is outdated/superseded, and the rest sounds like a solution in search of a problem.

[quote="highcalling, post:14, topic:240366"]
What do you think of this perspective?

catholicintl.com/index.php/latest-news/570-the-vaticans-youcat-catechism-weak-on-homosexuality-contraception-euthanasia-evolution-and-scripture

[/quote]

It sounds like the problems are translation errors. And that the problems are not in the English version. Which makes me not too concerned about it.

[quote="manygift1spirit, post:15, topic:240366"]
We got a copy for our family; our little one is entering 3rd grade and we are both active in REC/CCD. We got it on two recommendations I read from quality writers...Elizabeth Scalia was one, forgot the other.

After perusing it, I like the format a lot. it will be a little over the head of a 3rd grader but plenty of room to grow and digest the material.

As to the catholicintl cririque, some of it is outdated/superseded, and the rest sounds like a solution in search of a problem.

[/quote]

Yes, YouCat was designed for children who are a bit older, but you can always adapt as necessary. :)

Have you ever seen the Apostolate's Family Catechism? They have the entire contents available online as well at familycatechism.com. That may be easier to use for that age group.

Hi - I've been reading Youcat for the past few weeks, on and off, and in a hodgepodge order. I really enjoy it and have learned much. I am not a youth though, but am trying to approach it as one. I have a few concerns that are probably minor. But there is one thing that truly confuses me.

On page 280 (Question 511), the Lord's Prayer includes the words "For thine is the kingdom and the power and the glory forever." It is included seamlessly, same print style, print size, bolding, with "Amen" afterwards. There is a follow up comment that says this phrase "is mentioned as early as the 'Teaching of the Twelve Apostles' (Didache, ca A.D.150), and so it can be added to the Our Father."

I don't understand why the Youcat includes this as an integral part of the prayer in a Catholic "catechism" for Catholic youth. I checked the Catechism, the Compendium, prayer books and prayer cards, CCD books, bibles (DR, NAB)... you name it; nothing appears to include that phrase as part and parcel of the Lord's Prayer. (I do know that Protestants use it, though.)

Just wanted to share this.

Thanks.

[quote="ffny, post:18, topic:240366"]

I don't understand why the Youcat includes this as an integral part of the prayer in a Catholic "catechism" for Catholic youth. I checked the Catechism, the Compendium, prayer books and prayer cards, CCD books, bibles (DR, NAB)... you name it; nothing appears to include that phrase as part and parcel of the Lord's Prayer.

[/quote]

The Didache includes it.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.