Youcat

YOUCAT is short for Youth Catechism of the Catholic Church, which will be launched on World Youth Day. Developed with the help of young Catholics and written for high-school age people and young adults, YOUCAT is an accessible, contemporary expression of the Catholic Faith. The appealing graphic format includes Questions-and-Answers, highly-readable commentary, summary definitions of key terms, Bible citations and inspiring and thought-provoking quotes from Saints and others in the margins. What’s more, YOUCAT is keyed to the Catechism of the Catholic Church, so people can go deeper. It explains:
What Catholics believe and why (doctrine)
How Catholics celebrate the mysteries of the faith (sacraments)
How Catholics are to live (moral life)
How they should pray (prayer and spirituality)
The questions are direct and honest, even at times tough; the answers straightforward, relevant, and compelling. YOUCAT will likely become the “go-to” place for young people to learn the truth about the Catholic faith.
Pope Benedict XVI on the YOUCAT project:
“Dear young friends!
Today I recommend for your reading an unusual book…Should we not attempt to translate the Catechism of the Catholic Church into the language of young people? Should we not bring its great riches into the world of today’s youth? Of course, there are many differences even among the youth of today’s world. And so now, under the capable direction of the Archbishop of Vienna, Christoph Cardinal Schoenborn, YOUCAT has been produced for young people. I hope that many young people will let themselves be fascinated by this book.
Many people say to me: The youth of today are not interested in this. I disagree, and I am certain that I am right. The youth of today are not as superficial as some think. They want to know what life is all about…This book is exciting because it speaks of our own destiny and so deeply engages every one of use.
So I invite you: Study this Catechism! That is my heartfelt desire. This catechism was not written to please you. It will not make life easy for you, because it demands of you a new life. It places before you the Gospel message as the “pearl of great value” (Mt 13:45) for which you must give everything. So I beg you: Study this Catechism with passion and perseverance. Make a sacrifice of your time for it! Study it in the quiet of your room; read it with a friend; form study groups and networks; share with each other on the Internet. By all means continue to talk with each other about your faith…”

Do any of you have one? I’m going to order one…

I run a small Catholic Store. We carry them and I will be buying one for my son’s birthday, next month. :thumbsup:

[quote="lifeisbeautiful, post:1, topic:252197"]
Do any of you have one? I'm going to order one...

[/quote]

There was a topic on this somewhere, I believe that the article was talking about how it was incorrect on many things? I believe such as birth control, and homosexuality

Since it is directed at youth there clearly should be a YOUCAT app (Android, iOS&WP7)

I found it a little too light and cheery for practical youth ministry. I think it talks down to teens and I was VERY dissapointed on how PC it was when dealing with sexual issues. Also I have not been able to find any refrences to drinking in it which is a HUGE issue with teens. I thought it was a little too silly too with all the cartoons.
I dont have the exact quote but when talking about adultery it states that “as a good rule, one should not commit adultery” odd.

Catholic Catechisms that quote Martin Luther (as this one does) should also raise some serious questions.

I am considering getting my 10 year old niece and 12 year old nephew Youcat as a gift. I looked at a copy at a local Catholic goods store, but I have a soft spot for the Baltimore Catechism series & would rather they read from that and later as adults from the thick Catechism of the Catholic Church. Youcat does appeal to young people with the language and pictures when I looked at it but the Baltimore is much more strict even if the drawn illustrations are of people from the 1950’s.

[quote="Redratfish, post:3, topic:252197"]
There was a topic on this somewhere, I believe that the article was talking about how it was incorrect on many things? I believe such as birth control, and homosexuality

[/quote]

Well, I know there was an error in the Italian one being printed, the translation was done incorrectly for the birth control part, but they stopped printing it until fixed, and it was only in that language.

[quote="Catholicpotato, post:5, topic:252197"]
I found it a little too light and cheery for practical youth ministry. I think it talks down to teens and I was VERY dissapointed on how PC it was when dealing with sexual issues. Also I have not been able to find any refrences to drinking in it which is a HUGE issue with teens. I thought it was a little too silly too with all the cartoons.
I dont have the exact quote but when talking about adultery it states that "as a good rule, one should not commit adultery" odd.

[/quote]

[quote="Dan_Daly, post:6, topic:252197"]
Catholic Catechisms that quote Martin Luther (as this one does) should also raise some serious questions.

[/quote]

Do either of you know which questions in the YouCat that you are referencing? I would like to check them out.

I know that there were some problems with the translations. But I have found none of that in the English translation. :shrug: No it isn't as in depth as a regular catechism, but that is kind of the point. If it were just another printing of the catechism, why do it?

I dont have it in front of me but you can just flip to the part talking about the ten comandments and it talks about the sexual sins. Seeing as this comes up in youth groups more than anythig I was EXTREMELY dissapointed that the youcat was pretty much afraid to come out and say certain things were wrong. Check out masturbation and homosexuality. There is an index that will direct you. The biggest reason youcat thinks masturbation is not a good idea is because it will lead to lonliness. It also says “the Catholic church does not DEMONIZE masturbation” Poor choice of words especially if you have ever talked to someone who struggles with that “demon”

[quote="Catholicpotato, post:5, topic:252197"]
I dont have the exact quote but when talking about adultery it states that "as a good rule, one should not commit adultery" odd.

[/quote]

That's bad. Drinking in and of itself is not wrong however violating the law is, they should have that as a reference

[quote="Dan_Daly, post:6, topic:252197"]

[/quote]

:eek: lolwut? r u srs?
Surely you can't be serious?

[quote="Catholicpotato, post:10, topic:252197"]
I dont have it in front of me but you can just flip to the part talking about the ten comandments and it talks about the sexual sins. Seeing as this comes up in youth groups more than anythig I was EXTREMELY dissapointed that the youcat was pretty much afraid to come out and say certain things were wrong. Check out masturbation and homosexuality. There is an index that will direct you. The biggest reason youcat thinks masturbation is not a good idea is because it will lead to lonliness. It also says "the Catholic church does not DEMONIZE masturbation" Poor choice of words especially if you have ever talked to someone who struggles with that "demon"

[/quote]

lets not stroke that demon, it must be explained that masturbation is definitely wrong

wow, the first part came out wrong :(

Yes! I love it! I saw it advertised on Facebook in May and I showed my dad and started dropping hints because my birthday was coming up. He got it for me. It is an amazing book! I love it! It has helped me a lot.

The Catholic Church sees good in every religion. As a good Catholic, as a good Christian we should respect our fellow Protestants even though we don’t agree with what they believe. I think that there is truth in every religion. But I’m Catholic all the way.

Respecting fellow people who are not Catholics and citing infamous heretics in your Catechism are two different things.

Here's some background on the quotes.

catholicchampion.blogspot.com/2011/05/youcat-quotes-cause-for-scandal.html

It's not just that scandal is given by quoting heretics, a general air of irreverence is also present. Along with Martin Luther we get a quote from Peter Sellers!

"The closest thing to a father confessor is probably a bartender."

A few problems:

1) I doubt many modern "youths" know who Peter Sellers is. So inserting the quote to be "hip" would seem to be a flop.
2) The statement is false. The closest thing to a priest forgiving your sins.....is CHRIST! Because, it actually is Christ forgiving your sins through the person of the Priest.

Pax.

For the younger people -- I would use the Compendium to the Catechism of the Catholic Church ---instead of the "YouCat".

**Good for firewood maybe.:stuck_out_tongue:

The implication is there are separate truths for youth than for adults and there really isn’t.
Baltimore catechism or the standard CCC is just fine for most everyone. :shrug:**

youcatrecall.com/

That link provides a very good analysis of some of the most serious problems with the YOUCAT.

Seen most generously, it is very poorly written, extremely confusing, and does little to stop the reader from arriving at heretical positions.

Seen less generously, it openly teaches heretical positions.

Read this link posted in another thread.
catholicchampion.blogspot.com…r-scandal.html

It is very alarming to me.

Cardinal Levada needs to have a long talk with whoever wrote the YOUCAT

[quote="Walking_Home, post:15, topic:252197"]
For the younger people -- I would use the Compendium to the Catechism of the Catholic Church ---instead of the "YouCat".

[/quote]

What's the difference between the Catechism of the Catholic Church and the Compendium to the Catechism of the Catholic Church?

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.