Young adults hardly ever walk, 'because of technology'

Those colloquially known as grown-ups look down upon their youngers as lazy slobs, not deserving of the easy lives they lead.
They see them as lying in bed all day, their drapes permanently closed, their noses permanently buried in some technological device, ready to sext at a moment's notice.
May I present evidence to support this enlightened view?
Research in the UK suggests that those aged 18-24 have given up on what some regard as a life essential: walking.
The evidence revealed that a quarter of Britain's future adults walk for an average of only 5 minutes every day.
One assumes that this is to the fridge and back, to the fridge and back. However, parents in this survey were convinced that the reason for such indolence was, stunningly, technology.
Why walk to find a friend, when they're right with you in your little metal box? Why walk to mail a letter when you can send whatever you like from the comfort of your sheets?

news.cnet.com/8301-17852_3-57608303-71/young-adults-hardly-ever-walk-because-of-technology/

This reminds me of WALL-E world.

[quote="MugenOne, post:1, topic:342745"]
Those colloquially known as grown-ups look down upon their youngers as lazy slobs, not deserving of the easy lives they lead.
They see them as lying in bed all day, their drapes permanently closed, their noses permanently buried in some technological device, ready to sext at a moment's notice.
May I present evidence to support this enlightened view?
Research in the UK suggests that those aged 18-24 have given up on what some regard as a life essential: walking.
The evidence revealed that a quarter of Britain's future adults walk for an average of only 5 minutes every day.
One assumes that this is to the fridge and back, to the fridge and back. However, parents in this survey were convinced that the reason for such indolence was, stunningly, technology.
Why walk to find a friend, when they're right with you in your little metal box? Why walk to mail a letter when you can send whatever you like from the comfort of your sheets?

news.cnet.com/8301-17852_3-57608303-71/young-adults-hardly-ever-walk-because-of-technology/

This reminds me of WALL-E world.

[/quote]

Bat puckey.
The so-called adults go from driveway to parking lot to parking lot (cursing if they can't get a spot within a few yards of the front door) and back to driveway. Once home they are absorbed in watching the tube or going onling with a PC rather than with a smartphone like youngsters.

Grownups have been lamenting "kids these days" since language was invented. Somehow the species survives.

An able bodied teen recently moaned and groaned when her boss suggested that they walk to a prospective new apartment. "You mean we gotta walk?" said teen.
"Um, yes,"said boss. " I am not losing my parking spot."

Said apartment was three blocks up the street. So......

True situation. Baffling.

[quote="cheezey, post:3, topic:342745"]
An able bodied teen recently moaned and groaned when her boss suggested that they walk to a prospective new apartment. "You mean we gotta walk?" said teen.
"Um, yes,"said boss. " I am not losing my parking spot."

Said apartment was three blocks up the street. So......

True situation. Baffling.

[/quote]

It's like driving. Teens are so used to mom driving them around while they play on their phone or hand held game they have no interest in driving - much more convienent to be driven.

cnbc.com/id/100880818

I grew up in a rural area. I would walk to friend's houses that were close to me. I don't think it would be safe of me to cross highways and walk miles and miles to other friend's houses when I was a teen. I wasn't going to walk the 10 miles to the nearest fast food restaurant, either. I'm 24 now and I live in suburban area and I have no problem walking in my neighborhood. I don't think it would be safe for me to cross major highways walking to get to the things I need. I don't want to be road kill. If I lived downtown in a major city, I could see me walking to more places, but not everyone lives in that type environment.

5 minutes is ludicrous. These people are of the age to either be in college/university or have jobs, and I find it hard to believe that a quarter of young Brits have neither a job nor school requirements that gets them out of the house on a daily basis.

Are we sure we are understanding this correctly, and it isn't walking for leisure/exercise that they do on average for 5 minutes a day (call it 30 minutes a week)? That I could believe because people would rather watch TV and play video games than go on walks, and I'm just as much a culprit at 28. When I was 18-23 though and in college, I was walking at least a half hour every day just between class and the dorms - that doesn't include meetings, dining hall, going out with friends, etc.

[quote="SamH, post:4, topic:342745"]
It's like driving. Teens are so used to mom driving them around while they play on their phone or hand held game they have no interest in driving - much more convienent to be driven.

cnbc.com/id/100880818

[/quote]

I actually disagree with this--the trend started much earlier than hand-held devices and when fewer teens had phones. I have younger relatives who, I was stunned to learn, did not care if they got their drivers licenses when they were 16 back in the 1990s.

I put it down to cars. Once they started making cars so difficult to fix, teens stopped buying cheap, beat-up cars and fixing them up. Cars stopped being part of the growing-up process and became just another hassle.

[quote="Mumbles140, post:6, topic:342745"]
5 minutes is ludicrous. These people are of the age to either be in college/university or have jobs, and I find it hard to believe that a quarter of young Brits have neither a job nor school requirements that gets them out of the house on a daily basis.

[/quote]

Really?

poverty.org.uk/35/index.shtml

A full 20% are unemployed. Even if you "attend" college there is no requirement that you "go" to classes.

[quote="SamH, post:4, topic:342745"]

cnbc.com/id/100880818

[/quote]

I would take issue with the webpage that is cited here. It only mentions that the rate of teenagers getting their license on their 16th birthday is declining. I am not sure how it is in other places, but in California you can get a permit to drive when you are 15 and a half. The earliest time a person can get a license is on their 16th birthday. Therefore, the study says that because the number of teenagers getting a license as soon as possible is down, the whole number is down.

Simply saying that it is all the fault of "Those lazy teenagers" is not taking everything into account. The article offers a more plausible answer in its second half: the increasing cost of driving nowadays. :yeah_me:

[quote="Honorius, post:9, topic:342745"]

Simply saying that it is all the fault of "Those lazy teenagers" is not taking everything into account. The article offers a more plausible answer in its second half: the increasing cost of driving nowadays. :yeah_me:

[/quote]

When was it cheap?

[quote="SamH, post:10, topic:342745"]
When was it cheap?

[/quote]

When I was that age, it was the beginning of the costs going up. you could buy a car cheaply, the repairs were cheap because a lot could be done by self or friends, auto parts were a tiny fraction of what they are now, the insurance costs were much less. i remember when gas was 20 cents a gallon! But OPEC had raised the price a lot by the time i got my license.

Esp now, after Cash for Clunkers, the rises in insurance costs for new drivers, and all the complicated things they've done to car engines, etc., it's really expensive for young people to drive!

I believe both trends are true. If a young adult isn't in school/college and doesn't have a job, they don't have much reason to be up and about. I can see how that would have been true even before hand-held devices - at least from back as far as TVs in private homes was common. Before that, the young unemployed probably walked as far as a friend's house or other hang out for the day and then walked home.

As for driving, I agree that the cost has gone up. A (second), third or fourth car in a family costs money. Also many collges in the US no longer allow freshmen to have a car on campus, so for many kids (at least around here) it doesn't make sense to have a car until then, so it also doesn't make sense to rush to get a license at 16. Many kids I know get their license sometime during high school (17 or 18) and their first car during college.

[quote="KendraDZ1902, post:5, topic:342745"]
I grew up in a rural area. I would walk to friend's houses that were close to me. I don't think it would be safe of me to cross highways and walk miles and miles to other friend's houses when I was a teen. I wasn't going to walk the 10 miles to the nearest fast food restaurant, either. I'm 24 now and I live in suburban area and I have no problem walking in my neighborhood. I don't think it would be safe for me to cross major highways walking to get to the things I need. I don't want to be road kill. If I lived downtown in a major city, I could see me walking to more places, but not everyone lives in that type environment.

[/quote]

Try a bicycle. In addition to being a fun way to get around, it's good exercise.

Part of the problem is the safety culture that has become the norm the last 30 years or so. One poster thinks it's too dangerous for a teenager to cross a major highway.

When I grew up in the 60s, the big phobia was germs and refrigerators. But, us kids were free to roam our neighborhoods, as long as we knew not to go into an empty refrigerator. My Mom was always warning me about refrigerators. And, don't talk to strangers, don't take candy from them. Plus, look both ways before crossing, then look again.

So, we got on our bikes, or we walked, and played with all the other kids. We built forts, played hide and seek, we had a lot of fun. We didn't wear bike helmets either!:eek:

Nowadays, everything is much more safety awareness, to the point that a lot of kids aren't allowed out of their own yards. Apartment dwelling kids are confined to home. Everyone is afraid of molesters, kidnappers, and kids getting hurt. There's plenty of TV to watch compared to when I was young. Back then kids shows were only on during a few hours of the day. Now you have 24/7 kids channels. And Wii, Nintendo, etc.

[quote="Country_Gal, post:14, topic:342745"]
Part of the problem is the safety culture that has become the norm the last 30 years or so. One poster thinks it's too dangerous for a teenager to cross a major highway.

When I grew up in the 60s, the big phobia was germs and refrigerators. But, us kids were free to roam our neighborhoods, as long as we knew not to go into an empty refrigerator. My Mom was always warning me about refrigerators. And, don't talk to strangers, don't take candy from them. Plus, look both ways before crossing, then look again.

So, we got on our bikes, or we walked, and played with all the other kids. We built forts, played hide and seek, we had a lot of fun. We didn't wear bike helmets either!:eek:

Nowadays, everything is much more safety awareness, to the point that a lot of kids aren't allowed out of their own yards. Apartment dwelling kids are confined to home. Everyone is afraid of molesters, kidnappers, and kids getting hurt. There's plenty of TV to watch compared to when I was young. Back then kids shows were only on during a few hours of the day. Now you have 24/7 kids channels. And Wii, Nintendo, etc.

[/quote]

It's them Hippies and long-haired friends of Jesus' fault;).

If young adults hardly walk and because of technology how come there are so many reports of injuries because people walked into a tree while texting or tweets and tweetpics of their falls.

I don't know. I walk more because of technology. I can burn off a lot of work and life angst walking with my iPod and I prefer listening to music or audio books over the hum of all the machines at the gym.

I think that technology has definitely made people lazier. I know it has unfortunately affected me such a way. I am trying to become less active but its not always easy.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.