Young Blacks Voice Skepticism on Hillary Clinton, Worrying Democrats

NY Times:

Young Blacks Voice Skepticism on Hillary Clinton, Worrying Democrats

WASHINGTON — When a handful of liberal advocacy organizations convened a series of focus groups with young black voters last month, the assessments of Donald J. Trump were predictably unsparing.But when the participants were asked about Hillary Clinton, their appraisals were just as blunt and nearly as biting.
“What am I supposed to do if I don’t like him and I don’t trust her?” a millennial black woman in Ohio asked. “Choose between being stabbed and being shot? No way!”
“She was part of the whole problem that started sending blacks to jail,” a young black man, also from Ohio, observed about Mrs. Clinton.
“He’s a racist, and she is a liar, so really what’s the difference in choosing both or choosing neither?” another young black woman from Ohio said.

Young African-Americans, like all voters their age, are typically far harder to drive to the polls than middle-aged and older Americans. Yet with just over two months until Election Day, many Democrats are expressing alarm at the lack of enthusiasm, and in some cases outright resistance, some black millennials feel toward Mrs. Clinton.
Their skepticism is rooted in a deep discomfort with the political establishment that they believe the 68-year-old former first lady and secretary of state represents. They share a lingering mistrust of Mrs. Clinton and her husband over criminal justice issues. They are demanding more from politicians as part of a new, confrontational wave of black activism that has arisen in response to police killings of unarmed African-Americans.

“We’re in the midst of a movement with a real sense of urgency,” explained Brittany Packnett, 31, a St. Louis-based leader in the push for police accountability. Mrs. Clinton is not yet connecting, she said, “because the conversation that younger black voters are having is no longer one about settling on a candidate who is better than the alternative.”
The question of just how many young African-Americans will show up to vote carries profound implications for this election. Mrs. Clinton is sure to dominate Mr. Trump among black voters, but her overwhelming margin could ultimately matter less than the total number of blacks who show up to vote.

She’s not genuine. While she might be an intelligent woman, more intelligent about politics than Trump, she is still no saint. A lot of Americans I know cannot stand her as well.

Not genuine? How can you say that? She carries hot sauce in her purse! :rolleyes:

“What am I supposed to do if I don’t like him and I don’t trust her?” a millennial black woman in Ohio asked. “Choose between being stabbed and being shot? No way!”
“She was part of the whole problem that started sending blacks to jail,” a young black man, also from Ohio, observed about Mrs. Clinton.
“He’s a racist, and she is a liar, so really what’s the difference in choosing both or choosing neither?” another young black woman from Ohio said.

This is pretty much how I feel, except that I am neither young nor black.

With Hillary: no hope.

She will put Obama on the Supreme Court and then another hundred years of extreme left-wing rule. Instead of a balanced court, it will be 7 left versus only 2 conservative. He loves executive orders.

She will continue Pay to Play and continue to take hundreds of millions from the likes of Putin and Brunei, and ISIS and Iran.

AND if you cross her, … well, look at all the mysterious violent deaths.

She will make ObamaCare worse with more rigidity and bureaucracy and less care.

Veteran? Forget it.

Energy? Only solar and wind. All fossil fuels including natural gas and nuclear shut down.

Tax increases already promised.

Infrastructure? We already “spent” nearly 1000 Billion Dollars … and got nothing to show for it. “shovel ready”? Yeah right.]

More bureaucracy.

Illegal aliens flooding in to take existing low income jobs. That has already started.

Inner city? Crime skyrocketing.

With Trump, if you don’t like him, he will be gone in four years.

On the other hand with lower taxes, things might pick up.

Lower bureaucracy for veterans and others.

Apparently they do believe Trump is a racist, based simply on the Democrat propaganda of decades. It’s too bad, really. Trump might not do them a whole lot of good, but at this point, almost any solution other than “more of the same” is worth trying.

Trump has been in the public eye for 30-40 years, and just when he runs for president he’s deemed a racist. :rolleyes:

Ironic. Last election they invented the crisis of female birth control. This election they invent black lives matter.

They’ve done such a good job convincing young blacks that they’re being abused that Hilary’s catching some of the fallout too.

A little bit of sense makes them note that Trump was not around to cause their problems, only Hilary. If they can only break totally free of the democrat chains and think a little more deeply…they’ll see their democrat leaders are what led them into financial and social ruin in the first place and republicans are not their enemy.

Holy Spirit open our eyes so that your people can see the Truth of who binds them and who frees them.

Um…that’s awfully ignorant of you to say. Racism did exist, and still exist, before this tragic mess of a election happened.

I don’t know how many Democrats are actually all that worried about this, given most poll numbers show very strong support for Hillary Clinton among minorities in addition to her decent numbers among whites with college degrees and especially among women with college degrees.

And young Americans across racial and ethnic groups are more likely to trust Clinton than Trump to handle police violence against African-Americans. Among young blacks actually only 5% trust Trump. 61 percent trust Clinton.

oregonlive.com/politics/index.ssf/2016/09/poll_young_people_dont_agree_o.html

Hillary Clinton has worked in and with the black community for decades. Of course, they love her.

Some don’t - that’s to be expected. But to believe that any meaningful percentage of black voters aren’t behind her is to dismiss all of the polling data at our fingertips.

I myself remain deeply disappointed that the Republicans have made no genuine effort in decades to reach these voters. I’ll bet most Republicans are too.

That was money spent to patch things up. And now they need repatching. :slight_smile:

Changing infrastructure is a dream only.

How many tens of thousands does Trump already employ?

How can he possibly be called racist when he has been working actively for decades to solve the problem … by employing and educating and training the people who work for his company?

Democrats don’t value employment and jobs as much as they value social programs.

The nation has a bit of a history of having communities that were willing to hire minority groups while ensuring those groups remain “in their place” (sun down towns were on type of community in which this was strongly expressed.). Hiring minorities is not alone taken as a sign that of wishes to help minorities or sees them as equal. Henry Ford hired lots of immigrants and minorities while negative opinions about both.

Perhaps pointing out sombre of Trump’s more altruistic actions your argument could be strengthened. Hiring people may be seen as satisfying a need that the employer has and might not be motivated by hiring the employee.

Timeline: Donald Trump has been getting called racist since 1973

Hiring minorities because they’re available and have the required skills is the very antithesis of racism, so long as they’re paid, advanced, etc based on merit, the same as others.

I think if Trump had exhibited real racism or sexism, we would have long since heard dozens of people who worked for him complain about it. The DNC probably has a whole cadre of people who have investigated for the slightest tinge of it. And yet, they have come up with nothing.

To me, that’s a lot more meaningful than the kind of nonsense promoted by those who would turn the whole nation into one of those “safe zones” that are sprouting up in various universities, where what one says is taken as far more meaningful than what one does, and where what one says must be in a narrow channel of “approved” speech.

? Trump could behave like a saint. It still doesn’t mean that racism is a myth, so I don’t get your point, sorry.

Trump a racist? Not according to an African-American woman executive who works for him. This article says she likes Trump, but not about a number of other things she says in her video, which is a bit over 5 minutes but totally worth watching.

As mentioned beforr people have hired minorities while at the same time supporting or promoting policies that put Mi tithes at a disadvantage. I’m not saying that Trump is “racist.” I dont think that showing that he has hired minorities is sufficient by itself to show that someone is not racists which is why i suggest sharing some more of his altruistic actions. It may even be effective to find why people feel that he is an address the concerns that have caused them to believe he is.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.