Young woman booted from team for being straight

This is crazy if the allegations prove to be true.

onenewsnow.com/Education/Default.aspx?id=418808

Central Michigan University is being sued after one of their women’s basketball players said she was kicked off the team due to her heterosexuality.

:eek: Now that’s just crazy!

An earlier thread about this lawsuit is here:
forums.catholic.com/showthread.php?t=310585

So some crazy chick kicked her off the team? it sucks, but please don’t act like this a part of the “gay agenda” people
:rolleyes:

Why not?

Do you have a different hypothesis that is more plausible?

Maybe she wasn’t that good of a player or didn’t like a coach cracking down to help the team win more games, so she got booted for attitude. Who knows?

Yes, this lady doesn’t represent gays and lesbians

Really? This will be a hard one to prove. I guess we’re all going to start claiming we are being discriminated against by a minority. If we can exclude them from our groups why should they not be able to do the same to us, if that is what they are doing here. Yet I doubt it.

Can you prove that? Can you even provide a shred of evidence to support that?

Actually this was my first thought too. The news account indicate she probably was good enough. But I agree with you that if she is not good enough to play then she should be cut.

[quote=]onenewsnow.com/Education/Default.aspx?id=418808Brooke Heike was a high school basketball star who was aggressively sought after by several colleges that wanted the league MVP from Washington Township, Michigan, to continue her record-breaking rebounding and shot-blocking skills on their campus. After leading her team to its first conference title in 18 years as a high school senior, the 6-foot-2 forward decided to attend Central Michigan University, which offered her a full scholarship
[/quote]

I specifically asked the question above of Teen4Christ because of the certainty of his/her earlier reply. Honestly that reply bothered me as much as the initial allegation because of the fact that there was a jump to defense without any indication in the story that it was not true. Strikes me that even if the coach is a lesbian there is no reason to believe that she cut the player from the team for being heterosexual, however, we should also not be so politically correct that we simply take knee jerk reactions to defend everyone from every allegation without any evidence to the contrary. Victims have rights too and deserve to be heard.

Wasn’t more than a few decades ago that if a woman was raped she was “asking for it” because of her “attitude” or because of “the way she dresses.” Now we no longer have those attitudes and we rush to the defense of any woman who cries rape. Sadly now a small % cry rape and the men they accuse are innocent but the woman was trying to punish the man. Perhaps in a similar vein, this player is trying to do the same with the coach. Or perhaps the allegations are true.

My point is we simply do not know. We cannot take Teen4Christ’s comment any more seriously, absent of evidence, than we can take the opposing view. JMO

Read the article. She alleges that the coach commented she was too ‘girly’ for her(!)

The article also mentions the coach got fired for something similar previously.

Can you imagine the uproar if a man said: “Sorry, I don’t like your looks, you’re off the team”?

The coach claims she gave her a notice a year ahead of time that they were changing styles of play, and that she should probably transfer. According to the coach’s statement, she even suggested a school and offered to call the coach there.

I’ve seen too many disgruntled former players make ridiculous accusations at coaches to take this at face value; a parent who thought his son should be playing more figured a good way to get back at my high school football coach would be to claim he was embezzling money from the booster club, an accusation shown to be ridiculous when there was no money missing, and he had never been to one of their meetings in the first place.

The first part of your post, however, could indicate that there is a basis for the claim if the coach’s new tactics were not able to be carried out by the player. Remember this player is a highly motivated MVP start player, one could presume she could adapt, overcome and succeed. The coach’s claim that the style of play would force a star player off the team seems, at best, dubious.

As as to taking the allegation at face value, I don’t think we should do that either. But it strikes me that we need to take it seriously given what little bit of evidence there is in the reports because the reports don’t provide much actual support for the coach. In fact most of the support for the coach is just as weak as the allegation as both coach and player are simply making “claims” about what happened. Sort of like the rare cases of pedophile priests and the even rarer cases of claims that turn out to be untrue. Still both sides need to be take seriously.

Still, makes you wonder why a star player would be told to transfer in such a way and then lose her scholarship when she did not transfer, especially given that she was a heavily recruited player on full scholarship for playing basketball. It seems very odd.

Last time I checked, there wasn’t a single person representing all gays and lesbians. Instead, just a series of like minded groups which are slowly tyrannizing belief in America. You never hear about chaste gays do you? Why? Because it is offensive to the “gay agenda”. The “gay agenda” isn’t a group, but a movement. Any action that promotes active homosexual life is part of the gay agenda. Any action against the functioning family is part of the gay agenda.

Really? Why, then, couldn’t a superstar like Eric Crouch of Nebraska play quarterback in the NFL? What about Nebraska’s spectacular nose tackle of the early 1970’s, Richie Glover, make it in the NFL? The answer, of course, is style of play. Both were hard workers and star players at the college level, but the offenses being used at the pro level required quarterbacks who could throw, not run (for Crouch), and the defenses of the early 1970’s needed big run-stopping nose tackles, not small quick ones who shed blocks (Glover).

As as to taking the allegation at face value, I don’t think we should do that either. But it strikes me that we need to take it seriously given what little bit of evidence there is in the reports because the reports don’t provide much actual support for the coach. In fact most of the support for the coach is just as weak as the allegation as both coach and player are simply making “claims” about what happened. Sort of like the rare cases of pedophile priests and the even rarer cases of claims that turn out to be untrue. Still both sides need to be take seriously.

Still, makes you wonder why a star player would be told to transfer in such a way and then lose her scholarship when she did not transfer, especially given that she was a heavily recruited player on full scholarship for playing basketball. It seems very odd.

The recommendation to transfer was a courtesy. You need to remember two things:

1. She was an MVP type player in high school, not college. The best high school basketball player I’ve ever seen got recruited and rode the bench for four years, because he had already peaked. In high school, his perfect form and basketball intelligence were enough to get him past bigger players, but in college, he was facing bigger players who also had perfect and basketball intelligence.

2. The coach who recruited her was not the coach who told her to transfer. That’s why coaches promising “I’ll be here when you graduate” is such a big deal in recruiting; the new guys very often clean house of players who just “aren’t their style of player”. This sort of thing is not really unusual in the world of college athletics (the transfer/pulling of the scholarship).

By that logic, the priests who molested children were apart of the catholic agenda.
:shrug:

Teen4Christ - you immediately illegitimize yourself when you use the abuse scandel in an argument…its like calling someone a Nazi on a usegroup - what’s that law called again?

How so? obviously the actions of a few represent the whole group or is that just groups you disagree with?
:rolleyes:

“According to the case file, the coach in question was fired from a coaching job at another school in 2003. Team members at that school accused Sue Guevara of similar actions.”

Where there’s smoke there IS fire.

Are you saying this can’t happen because homosexualists would never persecute a non-homosexualist?Give your head a firm shake.TEEN4Christ can be counted on to defend those suffering from same-sex attraction no matter what.Why don’t you defend those scandalous priests with the same fervour as they are not pedophiles but in fact are predatory homosexuals?Ever wonder why the more radical members of this homosexual community attack the Church constantly but NEVER on this issue?Could it be because THEY understand that these priests are predatory homosexuals?:rolleyes:

I have defended the church countless times about that issue. The action of a few do not represent the whole group.
:thumbsup:

Teen4Christ why are you so selective in your defense.Why don’t you defend the predatory homosexual clerics with as much vigour as you defend the other homosexualists?These are NOT babies and toddlers these “men” are molesting but teenage boys for the most part?Chickenhawks to use “gayspeak”.:shrug:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.