Your 2 "Must Have" Books for Benedictines/Oblates

I am assuming that everyone should have

[LIST]
*]A Catholic Bible
*]The Cathechism of the Catholic Church
[/LIST]

so you can’t name those:D

I would like you to name 2 Benedictine books that you think are absolutely a must have for Benedictine Oblates/Benedictines

Please keep it to two choices only :wink:

Thanks

Esther deWaal: Seeking God: The Way of St. Benedict.

Christine Valters Paintner and Lucy Wynkoop:
Lectio Divina: Contemplative Awakening and Awareness

[You should add The Rule of St.Benedict as a third book you would assume everyone has.]

[quote="PoliSciProf, post:2, topic:201373"]
Esther deWaal: Seeking God: The Way of St. Benedict.

Christine Valters Paintner and Lucy Wynkoop:

Lectio Divina: Contemplative Awakening and Awareness

[You should add The Rule of St.Benedict

[/quote]

as a third book you would assume everyone has.]

Thanks! Excellent point

REVISED LIST OF BOOKS YOU CAN'T NAME :D

[LIST]
*]Catholic Bible
*]Cathechism of the Catholic Church
*]Rule of St Benedict
[/LIST]

If a mod sees this, could you edit my 1st post? Thanks

Here are my two essential books, and both are online:

"Gregory the Great, Dialogues, Book 2: Life of Benedict"

"The Conferences of John Cassian"

[quote="Barzillai, post:4, topic:201373"]

[/quote]

Grazie, amico mio.

The first I have--the second is now on my to read list

The Life of Benedict was written about 593 AD, about 50 years after the death of Saint Benedict. It was, according to the New Advent Encyclopedia, “written in 593, three years after [St. Gregory’s] elevation to the papacy, at the request of certain monks of his household.”

The Life is the only source available [other than the Rule and perhaps the Rule of the Master :slight_smile: ] on the life of St. Benedict.

Cassian lived 360 to 435 AD, about two generations after the end of the Roman persecutions in 313 AD. Cassian lived and toured the flowering of Egyptian monasticism during some of its greatest years. From the New Advent Encyclopedia: “St. Benedict made use of Cassian in writing his Rule, and ordered [in **Chapter 73] selections from the “Conferences”, which he called a mirror of monasticism (speculum monasticum), to be read daily in his monasteries.”

Cassian was important in the introduction of Eastern desert monasticism into the early medieval west and for the ideas used by St. Benedict in the Rule.

I have found an excellent book (about half way through it)

Man of Blessing by Carmen Butcher.

Very Catholic (some Benedictine books are not, as you know)

Highly recommended

add to your essentials whatever resource you use for LOTH, we use Shorter Christian Prayer

I just boxed up my Oblate library (2 crates) to share with newer candidates, but two books I am keeping are Tools Matter for Practicing the Spiritual LIfe by Mary Margaret Funk OSB, an oldie but goodie, and a new one which we are using as our spiritual reading this year, Praying with Benedict by Katherine Howard

I think the selections will vary with where you are in this journey. For new oblates or those in formation one of the good books, like Esther DeWaal's that illustrates living Benedicts rule in daily life in the world is a must.

I kept all my guides to lectio divina but I think the ones that speak to me now are Sacred Reading my Michael Casey and Nourished by the Word Reading the Bible Contemplatively by Wilfrid Stinissen. The first book I would suggest for beginners is Praying the Bible by Mariano Magrassi

Wow:eek: Thanks so much!

When my wife expressed an interest in Benedictine spirituality, I bought her these:

The Benedictine Handbook
amazon.com/Benedictine-Handbook-Anthony-Marett-Crosby/dp/0814627900/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1276647365&sr=8-1

The Oblate Life
amazon.com/Oblate-Life-Gervase-Holdaway/dp/0814631762/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1276647365&sr=8-2

Pax et Bonum,

A

Thanks!

I just finished the Oblate Life. I give it a C, TBH.

Benedict in the World is a book of bios of famous oblates, beginning with the first, Frances of Rome

[quote="puzzleannie, post:12, topic:201373"]
Benedict in the World is a book of bios of famous oblates, beginning with the first, Frances of Rome

[/quote]

I will look for it!

A little late to the party, but I looooooooooooooooooooooove this book:

Commentary for Benedictine Oblates: On the Rule of St. Benedict

It’s broken up into the daily readings, and each reading has a commentary and an application. :slight_smile:

[quote="mylo, post:14, topic:201373"]
A little late to the party, but I looooooooooooooooooooooove this book:

Commentary for Benedictine Oblates: On the Rule of St. Benedict

It's broken up into the daily readings, and each reading has a commentary and an application. :)

[/quote]

Looks awesome. Thanks!:thumbsup:

I liked "Searching For God" by Cardinal Basil Hume, OSB, Archbishop of Westminster, UK.

"The timeless teachings and important lessons of the spiritual life Cardinal Hume revealed to the monks under his care at Ampleforth Abbey are gathered together in this book. Cardinal Hume's words on universal issues as humility, obedience, commitment, wholeheartedness, happiness, and inner peace, give a compelling insider's look at Christian monastic life and offer profound insight and encouragement to those who search for God."

Written in 1977. Really goes thru the life of a Benedictine postulant to Solemn Professed and on wards. Parts and Chapters like (only some of the chapters listed, too many to write:

1. Part One "Monastic Life and Work"
    Monastic Formation
    Ceremony of Clothing
    The Vows
    Simple Profession
    Solemn Profession

2. Part Two Life in the Spirit
    Searching for God
    The Desire to Pray
    Love of God
    Correcting Weaknesses
    The Prayer of Incompetence
    The Glory of the Suffering Servant

3. Part Three Mary
    To Listen, To Receive, To Watch
    Fiat
    I have called your name
    Mother Julian of Norwich: three wounds: contrition, compassion, longing for God
    Inner Hurts

Here abebooks.com/servlet/ListingDetails?bi=26 or here christian-pages.com/si/_bf_9187.ht

Another book; "Julian of Nowich: Divine Showings"

at amazon.com/Complete-Julian-Norwich-Paraclete-Giants/dp/155725639X/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1277056122&sr=8-2

Thanks for the recommedation.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.