Your experience The Angelus

Laudetur Iesus Christus!
How do you pray the Angelus?
I am not asking about how it is supposed to be done but rather how you personally pray it.
At what hours of the day? Do you pray it at work? Do you sing or just recite it? Pray it alone or together? What are your tips for people who want to learn it? Is this a prayer that you think everyone should pray?

When I am at home I pray it in Latin.

Why? How does Latin help you?

6, 12, and 6 I say it.

If I have to miss a time (like I sleep through 6 am or I am in a meeting or at Mass at 12 noon or 6 pm) I just say it when I am able, like right after the meeting, or twice at the next scheduled time.

I say it in English. I just recite it, I do not sing.

If at work, I would say it quietly to myself.

Don’t have any big tips for people who want to learn it. I set a phone alarm to go off at the times listed so I know to pray (plus at 3 pm so I can do the 3 pm Divine Mercy prayer). People need to remember that during the Easter season the Angelus is replaced by the Regina Coeli.

I think it’s a nice idea to stop and honor Jesus and Mary 3 times a day. If Muslims can pray at set times during the day then surely Catholics can do it. Only takes a couple minutes.

2 Likes

I pray the Angelus after praying the Rosary when I’m out taking my morning walk. The time varies, but it’s almost always some time between 6 and 7 am.

Growing up, my family did not pray the Angelus, and I don’t recall learning it during my 12 years of Catholic school. I learned it from the devout family of my former high school girlfriend :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:. They used to gather as a family to pray the Rosary and the Angelus, and they included me while we were dating.

2 Likes

Love the Angelus. I recite it each day at the traditional hours (6, 12, & 6) whenever I can. If I’m home I’ll recite it out loud; if out and about will say it quietly to myself.

2 Likes

I usually pray the Angelus around noon everyday.

To often i forget to say the Angelus on my own ,but when with family we say it.
Years ago the bells rang on Irish radio when I was over there .

3 Likes

I have no habit of regularly praying the Angelus. If I happen to be in a place where it’s being prayed (usually before or after Mass) I will join in, but it’s not part of my regular prayer routine.

When I started watching the Pope’s address to the faithful in St. Peter’s Square at noon on Sundays, I noticed the address includes the praying of the Angelus in Latin, so I learned it in Latin in order to pray along. I haven’t learned the Angelus in any other language since, so when I find myself somewhere that it is prayed in the vernacular I murmur along in Latin.

My advice for anyone who wants to learn the Angelus is the same for learning anything: memorize it and exercise it often.

2 Likes

My father and his mother weren’t the most devout Catholics. They turned their backs on the Church early in my life.

My aunt had lifelong health issues which she succumbed to before my 7th birthday. Even so, I felt she and my grandfather were more serious about our Catholic faith. Years later, I received the handwritten notebook my aunt had made especially for me. Many of her favorite poems, short stories and to my delight, Catholic prayers inc The Angelus were inside its pages.

It was my then Protestant mother who continued to raise her little chicks (us) in the Catholic faith even after she and my father divorced. She was very open about not knowing the prayers. Being so young, I figured she was saying that so that she could see how well her little birds knew their prayers. :blush:

Now that she is Catholic herself, I, her then sponsor, am still teaching and helping her with our prayers. To be able to pray the Rosary and The Angelus together both humbles me and makes my heart soar. I also shed tears of joy that my dream of us being a complete Catholic family has finally come true.

5 Likes

I just recently discovered the Angelus & am trying to work it into my routine.

I pray the rosary daily. Joyful mysteries Monday & Saturday. Sorrowful mysteries Tuesdays & Fridays. Glorious mysteries Wednesdays & Sundays. Luminous mysteries on Thursday.

I pray the hinges of the Divine Office. I pray the Chaplet of St Michael & I pray the Chaplet of Divine Mercy.

The Angelus appears to be another meditation on the incarnation. Like the joyful mysteries (pretty much like the Chaplet of Divine Mercy is a meditation on the passion of Christ).

I noticed some say they recite the Angelus after the Rosary. Isn’t this redundant if saying the joyful mysteries?

I pray it in Latin.

1 Like

I say it as soon as I wake up for work. At around noon, and before I go to bed. I like the way the Daughters of Mary sing it in Latin!

I love the Angelus. I pray it at 6 am, 12 noon and 6 pm. I pray it to myself or if I am with other Catholics we will pray it aloud together. It is a beautiful way to sanctify the day and to honour Our Lady and the Lord throughout the day.

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.