Your faith vs. Golden Rule

I’m seeking out reasons why people of faith consider their faith superior to the Golden Rule.

Any reasons at all.:slight_smile:

I’m not too sure what you mean by this.

Are you?

If so, could you rephrase it?

I’m looking for people of faith to tell me what is superior about their faith if compared to the Golden Rule. :slight_smile:

Please spell out what you define the ‘Golden Rule’ to be. Sorry for my ignorance in this. I just want to make sure I understand what the question is.

Thanks.

All you did, Strawberry Jam, is simply repeat what you originally said. You didn’t rephrase or explain it at all.

My definition is to do the best you can to treat others with kindness and respect.

I think that you expect people to be perfect. Most people, I think, try to be good. We are all sinners. And I think that most of this is in your head and you need to forgive people for being human.

Unless their religion tells them that it is ok to deceive, kill, etc - then their religions are usually in line with what they strive to be.

Unless their religion tells them not to forgive, then also forgiveness of others for their shortcomings should also be included with the Golden Rule.

The problem lies in your definition of kindess and respect.

Suppose you passed some guy on the beach who was sitting there, minding his own business, hitting himself over the head with a shovel. Is it more kind and respectful to say, “Hey, you shouldn’t be doing that. It’s bad for you and you could hurt yourself” or is it more kind and respectful to say “You are not harming others with your actions, so I respect your right to believe it is ok to hit yourself with a shovel. You go your way and I’ll go mine”?

I don’t understand strawberryJam, why is it faith* vs *your Golden rule? My faith has taught me your Golden rule among other things. I was a much more… unkind and disrespectful person before coming to my faith. My faith has taught me that we are all sinners, and I am no better than anyone else. It has eliminated any and all snobbery and elitism that I may have had prior to conversion. I know the sins that afflict other people, afflicted me as well.

God bless you

I don’t understand your reply to me. I do not expect people to be perfect. That is why I said do the best you can. Not do the best, because I don’t think anyone does at all times.

Ditto That

The “Golden Rule” is not to be kind or respect others.

The definition of the Golden Rule is to “do unto others as you would have them do unto you.”

This is expressed beautifully in Mathew Chapter 7, especially Mathew 7:12:

Do to others whatever you would have them do to you. This is the law and the prophets.

I am using this page for reference:

vatican.va/archive/ENG0839/__PVG.HTM

New American Bible on the Vatican website. :thumbsup:

I am wondering if your faith gives you a superior method of carrying out this task.

Certainly there are kind and respectful people who do not have faith but it does not follow then that faith is against being kind and respectful, or your golden rule.

Yes my faith is far and away “superior” (with regards to your golden rule) than my method prior to conversion.

God bless

I did not say faith was against being kind and respectful. :frowning: I am getting the impression you think I am trying to say that though.:frowning:

What made it superior? This is what I am not getting a clear idea about from anyone.

Thank you for the link. I was asked to define it my way, and that is how I defined it all my life.:slight_smile:

How am I to take this question?

I’m seeking out reasons why people of faith consider their faith superior to the Golden Rule.

This sounds to me that you are pitting your golden rule (being kind and respectful) against faith. If this is not what you meant I apologize, but it is how I read it.

What made it superior? This is what I am not getting a clear idea about from anyone.

Already answered:

My faith has taught me your Golden rule among other things. I was a much more… unkind and disrespectful person before coming to my faith. My faith has taught me that we are all sinners, and I am no better than anyone else. It has eliminated any and all snobbery and elitism that I may have had prior to conversion. I know the sins that afflict other people, afflicted me as well.

Basic answer to what made it “better” = Grace.

God bless you

I got that same impression that is why I wrote what I did. If I misunderstood, I apologize.

I had a long response and used “Grace” all over the place. Glad I’m not the only one to see it this way. :thumbsup:

My faith gives me the ultimate example of how to live my life–Jesus Christ. One of the things that I’ve always been able to come back to, no matter how low my faith has dipped, is the profound teachings of Christ throughout the New Testament.

So, why is my faith “superior” to the Golden Rule? My faith gives me the ability to apply the Golden Rule in every situation by following the teachings of the Church. (BTW the modern wording of the Golden Rule “Do unto others…” first appeared in the Catholic Catechism in the 16th century)

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.