Your family is a school

In the church bulletin was written :

As the Father "sent his son into the world" so parents send their children into the world "so that the world might be saved." This is the missionary role of the Christian family.  Your family is a school  where your children develop convictions which enable them to make a difference in the world.       

Have you considered that a family is a school?

Yes! As parents we are the primary educators of our children, and as spouses God gives us the graces we need to accomplish this. Whether or not we homeschool, we are still the primary educators of our children.

I have often thought, your Children are a reflection or you,

Life is an education and hopefully we educate our children to be an improvement of ourselves

It’s funny…even after I had my first child I had never desired to homeschool. I still don’t. Nothing against those who do, in fact I greatly admire moms who choose to homeschool, but I would never do it myself.

That being said, my home and my family are very much like a school. Everything can be turned into a lesson. My kids are always learning and discovering new things.

My 2 year old has picked up a lot of things really early and really quickly. She learned her alphabet and numbers well before she turned two. She likes it when my husband or I write letters or numbers on her white board so she can name them. One day, I went upstairs to discover that my husband was teaching her the Greek alphabet.

I definitely believe that parents are a child’s primary teachers in life. It’s our responsibility to teach them the whys, whats, whos, wheres and hows of life, the world and our faith.

Absolutely! Even in secular society, ANY sociologist will tell you that the family is the basic unit of society and it is the place where children are first socialized.

IMHO, any person who tells you that “children couldn’t possibly be homeschooled because parents aren’t adequate educators” is effectively saying that children should be taken from their parents as soon as they’re born and raised in an institution. Children begin learning from Day 1. Babies learn that when they interact with their parents, things happen. They get fed. They get changed. When they smile, Mommy and Daddy smile back at them.

(I’m not saying that you feel that way, PP. I can understand that some parents are not able to homeschool but I like how you still believe in it.)

Which is super funny that so many people claim that it takes a “village” to rear a child.

No it doesn’t. Just a mom and a dad will do just fine.

I will defend homeschooling parents all day and every day. That doesn’t mean that I want to homeschool my children.
Parents who homeschool their children are a treasure. I respect them and admire them. I know several parents who homeschool and they are wonderful, God-fearing people who have their children’s best interest in mind.

My husband and I have reached a compromise. No public school what-so-ever. We’ll do private school and, if for some crazy reason that’s not possible, my husband will be responsible for the children being homeschool.
I will not be roped into doing something I’ve never felt any desire to do. I won’t love it and I won’t enjoy it. I would be stressed and unhappy.
My husband knows that we will be sending the girls to a private school we’ve already found and doing everything under our power to make that happen.

I love teaching. I had several instructor jobs. The job I have in the military is centered around teaching my fellow soldiers and airmen things before they deploy.
But I don’t want to be the that is solely responsible for my child’s education. As a mother, that would be too much for me to handle.

Yes, and I can understand your perspective. It’s not always possible for people to homeschool their children. My husband has high-functioning autism and was homeschooled by his mother for a couple of years. Unfortunately she had little education herself and no support, so it really set him back academically. Likely it would have been better if he could have gotten adequate support at public school.

We don’t homeschool DSD either. DH would have liked to, but he and his ex separated when DSD was almost 4 (she left him). Her mom is not supportive of homeschooling and we think it would be very difficult, given that she would have to be taught at two different homes.

I hope I didn’t cause offense - I certainly did not intend to, and I apologize if I offended you in some way.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.