Your fave Chicago pizzeria?

totally off topic here, but family is taking a MUCH needed day trip from Michigan to Chicago. Anyway, we want the REAL chicago pizza experience. We have a Pizzeria Uno in our town, so we eat there all the time. Getting suggestions from friends- there seems to be a strong pull for Pizzeria Due. Please give me your suggestions. DD is 7- want a family friendly place that doesn't take all day...we are going to be mostly in the Michigan Ave area and would love someplace we could walk to . thanks in advance-twk

I'm sure you'll get many opinions on this. Chicago is a big place. But this post has resulted in my mouth absolutely watering, because not only do they not make pizza like that where I live now, but if they did, it wouldn't be delivered :(

I don't live in Chicago anymore and there are very few things I miss. One of them is ordering pizza and hot wings from Villa Palermo at 2154 W. Devon Ave. I love the pizza sauce, and I love the flavor of their wings. They're quite hot though, so if you're sensitive, tell them to make it mild or medium (as you like). I haven't been in Chicago for four years, but the last time I was there (the week I moved) there were only 2-3places to sit. It's definitely a take-out or delivery place.

I don't know what you like, but I like thin crust pizza. One of my favorites was their vegetarian special on Fridays. It had green peppers, onions, mushrooms, tomatoes and black olives. I loved their plain cheese pizza too. Otherwise, I had sausage and cheese. let me know if you order from there, and if you liked it.

Here's my order:

1 Lou Malnati's

2 Giordano's

3 Eduardo's

4 Gino's East

5 Pizzeria Uno

This, of course, is for Chicago Style (the only way to go when an out-of-towner wants Chicago pizza).

Only been to Lou’s and Gino’s and both were fantastic!

Giordano's and Uno's are both *** most excellent*** choices! As is Gino's East...

Giordano's, Gino's East- both are good. Pizzeria Due is good, too- same as Pizzeria Uno and basically across the street. They have the same owner. All of them will have long waits-45 minutes and up for Chicago-style deep dish once you're actually seated, and the wait itself can easiliy be over an hour if you go during the rush. When we go, we call our order ahead, then pick it up and eat it in our hotel room or on the lakefront. Much better than waiting and it's fun to pass by the line of hungry travelers and just pick up our pie! :D

All of them. :stuck_out_tongue:

I miss Chicago pizza… :frowning:

I would highly recommend Giordano’s. I loved the deep dish pizza there. They are located within walking distance of the Michigan Ave/Magnificant Mile area.

As a first generation Sicilian and used to the *REAL * stuff, believe it or not I miss the pan pizza from Pizzeria Uno.

I also hold Giordano's near Michigan Ave. in high esteem. But, being a native New Yorker, ( Long Island ) no one, but no one can beat the home style Sicilian Pizza made by Joe's in West Babylon. It runs a very close second to my Granma's pizza, which is THE BEST in the world.

PAX DOMINI :signofcross:

Shalom Aleichem

[quote="gmarie21, post:3, topic:206729"]
Here's my order:

1 Lou Malnati's

2 Giordano's

3 Eduardo's

4 Gino's East

5 Pizzeria Uno

This, of course, is for Chicago Style (the only way to go when an out-of-towner wants Chicago pizza).

[/quote]

Yeah, I believe all of the above are in the Magnificeint Mile vicinity. Add Pizzeria Due to the list.

Of course, for thin crust, try venturing to a neighborhood pizzeria.

Gino's East.

I think Gino’s East has a tastier sauce on their deep dish pizzas, but Lou Malnati’s has a much more edible crust. Gino’s crust is just too dry for my tastes.

As a born and raised Chicago girl now living in the deep south----I just got back from a 2 month visit from Chicago and passed up the pizza and headed straight for Johhny’s for a wet beef and green pepper sandwich with fries and Tom Tom’s Tamale AND an Italian Lemonade.

Pure Heaven.

[quote="horselvr, post:13, topic:206729"]
As a born and raised Chicago girl now living in the deep south----I just got back from a 2 month visit from Chicago and passed up the pizza and headed straight for Johhny's for a wet beef and green pepper sandwich with fries and Tom Tom's Tamale AND an Italian Lemonade.

Pure Heaven.

[/quote]

I wasn't gonna tackle other foods since the OP had a craving for pizza. However, like you, I wouldn't go for the pizza either.

I'd go to Ricobene's!!!! :D ricobenesfamoussteaks.com/ Everyone should at least try a fried breaded steak sandwich with mozzarella and slathered with homemade red sauce. The Italian seasonings in the breaded steak and in the sauce will make your mouth sing.

I have the need to make such a creation here this weekend. And as a fellow born and raised Chicago girl now living in the deep south, I think I will do just that! Since I can't get it anywhere here :(

Is this the Johnny’s on North Avenue in Elmwood Park? I haven’t had a sandwich from there in years. Everytime I think about dropping by, though, the line is out the door and around the corner!

In regards to other food, Jimmy's on Grand and Pulaski (make sure an adult stays in the car, especially at night) has the best, hands down, hot dogs and Polish sausage (and their fries are awesome too). When I was pregnant with my dd I couldn't get enough of their food (surprisingly, I only gained about 34 pounds that pregnancy).

Rence: Sounds scrumtous. A recipe would be nice!

Celtic Sword:" Is this the Johnny’s on North Avenue in Elmwood Park?" Yes, they also have one I believe around Midway Airport that is also excellent. Johnny’s is my regular haunt—sometimes Portillo’s if Johnny’s is too packed. I think I’m getting hungry.

I wish we had a Chicago style pizza joint in the Seattle area.

Do you ever go to Buona Beef?

Norseman82:

No I haven't been there. I don't think anyway. Where is it located? I also spend sometime in Mokena when I go back home as one of my favorite cousins lives there. I'm not sure the exact area she lives in but we attend St. Mary's Church which is right down the street from her.

There is also a beef place in Mokena that is very good too. Where is Buona Beef?

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.